The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mis quoted sayings

Titan

A miss quoted, or rather miss heard name that came up, when a child, listening to The BBC Light Programme in the 1950's, was a French singer, who seemed to go under the name of Miss Stan Gets..........Mistinguett.....(add a plum BBC presenters voice and an 's).

For those too young her reall name was Jeanne Florentine Bourgeois, and the most popular French entertainer of the 20th century.

• RMweb Gold

I've watched a few YT videos lately where the presenter says 'Without further adieu.....' at the end of the introduction.

Another one that grinds my goat (he-he) is 'He's done it all off his own back', instead of bat. It's just not cricket you know!

• RMweb Premium

As a linguist, I found myself quite engrossed in this thread, and getting quite excited about some of the points and comments. With just a little (tiny, teeny weeny) bit of irony, I was in WHSmiths a few days ago and picked up a magazine, I won't say which. I spotted an article where a sentence had been taken from the main text and quoted in big letters in a coloured box, to draw the reader in. What they meant was "it's". What they said was "its". Now normally I'd be mildly irritated by this. But having written the sentence myself, I feel rather, erm, well, I'll just go and hide under the bed for a week or two.

my 7 year old was explaining the wonders of the universe after school and he explained that the sun "hovertates" around the earth, dont have the heart to correct him!

also at Halloween he carved a "plumpkin"

The excellent folk musician Dave Shannon's young son was asked what he'd learnt at school one day.  He replied "Well, did you know, Daddy, that an octopus swims by swinging its testicles from side to side?"

Archived