The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mis quoted sayings

Titan

A school caretaker of my acquaintance, who made regular use of a Sani snake to keep the lavatory drains clear, always referred to it as a "sandysnake", and there was no shifting him on the matter.

Similarly, a chum of my own schooldays pronounced the "Bry-" in Brylcreem to rhyme with "dry". ("Well, why's it spelt like that, then?" "It's a trade name adapted from brilliantine." "Never heard of it.")

And of course those who will say 'different to' when it can only be 'different from'......

A distinction without much of a difference there I'd say. See here.

Some fun stuff on that blog.

American English Quiz

Australian English Quiz

British English Quiz

Canadian English Quiz

I'm embarrassed to say I got one of the Aussie words wrong, but in my defense there were two acceptable answers.

Frankly the American English Quiz was perhaps the most relatively difficult because several of the questions were worded in non-US English terms,  I did score the least on the Canadian one. But I'm no hoser eh!

Some of our brethren are wont to mistakenly spell "were" as "where" and/or vice versa. Perhaps threads such as this could perform a useful function as a means of explaining such errors without causing personal offence?

I wish people would read what they write before pressing SEND as it leads to poor English and the lack of clarity in some posts the meaning changes!

I suspect that spell check and predictive text is part of the problem!

Mark Saunders

I wish people would read what they write before pressing SEND as it leads to poor English and the lack of clarity in some posts the meaning changes!

I suspect that spell check and predictive text is part of the problem!

Mark Saunders

I prefer to check my spelling before pressing SEND. I've never learned to do magic ;).

A boss of mine used to have a nifty line in mixed metaphors.

'We have to get all our ducks on the same hymn sheet' was one he used quite seriously, and when asked about some important company information replied 'That's quite a sensitive potato'.

Other things that get up my nose:

Outside of. There is no need for the word of, you are simply outside.

Top Draw rather than Top Drawer.

People who use loose instead of lose. WTF? They are completely different words, spelt differently, pronounced differently and meaning different things?

"Champing at the bit" is correct, according to my daughter, who knows more about horses than I ever will.

"Ye" is an incorrect transliteration of the Old English character "thorn", pronounced "th"; Eggbreath the Old Englishman would have said "the", as we do today. Words like "shoppe" are quite modest compared to some spellings from the days when orthography was more a matter of opinion than fact.

A misquote I've seen much repeated in recent years is attributed to Mikhail Gorbachev, and refers to "the most puzzling thing in modern politics, the apparent determination to recreate the Soviet Union in Europe". Leaving aside the observation that the EU does, indeed, copy a lot of its functional structure from the Soviet pattern, I can't locate any source for this. The closest I can get, is a paraphrase of part of an interview given by the Russian dissident Vladimir Bukovsky, in about 2006.

My personal favourite is Sellars and Yeatman's rendering of Pope Gregory; "non anglici sed Angeli" = "not angels, but Anglicans"

• RMweb Premium

I had an Irish friend who was wont to say 'It was so quiet, you could hear a mouse drop'. 

I never felt able to put him straight, as the disappearance of such a graphic expression would have been a grievous loss!

Anthony

I prefer to think 'it was so quiet, you could hear a mouse fart'... ;)

• RMweb Gold

My wife uses "side trackted" as a weird combination of distracted and side-tracked

A friend's son used to say "I fell on me head there Geoff" instead of "fell on my feet"

I particularly dislike "there's nothing worse than......" followed by some minor irritation like dropping toast butter side down.  How about getting stabbed in the neck? That's probably worse.....

My wife uses "side trackted" as a weird combination of distracted and side-tracked

My wife always uses "assumably" instead of presumably. I know assumably is a word, but not really meant to be used in that way.

And I really don't worry about misheard lyrics, because as a fan of the band 'Yes' I have trouble with their original lyrics .

For instance, the first two lines to Close To The Edge are -

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,"

"And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,"

What the **** does that mean?

...Outside of. There is no need for the word of, you are simply outside...

Unless you're American: In informal use, "outside of" = "apart from" ;

Or quoting Groucho Marx -

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

• RMweb Gold

My wife always uses "assumably" instead of presumably. I know assumably is a word, but not really meant to be used in that way.

And I really don't worry about misheard lyrics, because as a fan of the band 'Yes' I have trouble with their original lyrics .

For instance, the first two lines to Close To The Edge are -

"A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,"

"And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace,"

What the **** does that mean?

A man after my own heart young 777.

Any Yes song, virtually any line qualifies for your observation.

Still one hell of a group though.

Wisttful memories of my Hanimex auto-reverse car cassette player.

Mike.

"Irregardless" Is the one of these blended words in regular mis-usage that I detest. 

"Regardless" is just fine. "Irrespective" is just fine.  "Irregardless" is ignorance. 

(Not that I would, but I can't use "blerd" for 'blended word' since it is used as American English slang for "black nerd" - think Neil deGrasse Tyson as an exemplar.  In case anyone is wondering this is not a pejorative term, but gets used as a positive.)

• RMweb Gold

The plural of loco is locos it is never loco's

steve

Loco's is grammatically correct though, shortened from locomotives

Singularly loco' should be more correct but we don't use that, likewise we don't use 'buses any more

Andi

Archived