The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mis quoted sayings

Titan

'The proof is in the pudding' is one that really annoys me. The only proof that could be in the pudding, is that you have a pudding.

The correct phrase is of course 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' which means that you discover (or prove) that it's a good or bad pudding when it's eaten.

• RMweb Gold

'The proof is in the pudding' is one that really annoys me. The only proof that could be in the pudding, is that you have a pudding.

The correct phrase is of course 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' which means that you discover (or prove) that it's a good or bad pudding when it's eaten.

The proof of the padding is in the seating.

I always liked 'The Perishers' comic strips, where the writer Maurice Dodd came up with some very funny misquotes for the kids, like "Ipso fatso". My favourite was "With friends like you, who needs enemas?"

Then there's the contraction problem in:

'Pride goes [before destruction, and an haughty spirit] before a fall'. (Proverbs c16v18)

Which gives us a useful discrimination in degrees of consequence between the proud (recent example, Saddam Hussein, destroyed) and the merely haughty (recent example, David Cameron, fell from office).

7) All that glitters is not gold (all that glisters is not gold)

7- Likewise, 'glisters' is an archaic form of 'glitters'; the original 'All that glisters is not gold' is from 'The Merchant of Venice', the word also occurs in the King James Bible.

Many authors riff on such things like Shakespeare as you point out.

Tolkien also uses this metaphor.

All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,

A light from the shadows shall spring;

Renewed shall be blade that was broken,

The crownless again shall be king.

When there are many commonly accepted forms, what constitutes "misuse"?

It is very easy to mis-hear things, with song lyrics being particularly bad; I'm still wondering what Bob Dylan meant when he sang that 'Rosemary took a cabbage into town'.

Mis-heard song lyrics is a whole other topic. I'm pretty sure we did one here in Wheeltappers.

Famously of course "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" and "There's a bathroom on the right". Hendrix, Purple Haze, and CCR, Bad Moon Rising.

Shouldn't it be misquoted, not mis quoted???

Then there's wrongly attributed quotes that are well known but have no verifiable basis.

Like: "the ... traditions of the Royal Navy are nothing but rum, sødomy and the lash" as NOT said by Winston Churchill (though it is said he wished he had).

There's a good list of such things here.

One not on that page is a quote often misattributed to Sinclair Lewis: "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

"Failing to plan is planning to fail" is an interesting one since it is so beloved in business-speak.

Many, many web sources cite Benjamin Franklin as saying "If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail." but it's not clear he did.

• RMweb Premium

Mis-heard song lyrics is a whole other topic. I'm pretty sure we did one here in Wheeltappers.

Famously of course "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" and "There's a bathroom on the right". Hendrix, Purple Haze, and CCR, Bad Moon Rising.

From 'Bohemian Rhapsody': "...Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard me, for me, for me..."

Archived