Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Results - The Wishlist Poll 2016

Hi Brian,

...The Class 21/29 is not in the 00 Poll as it has been announced by Dapol...

...to be available 2009, if my recollection is correct. 

Seven years no show is grounds for declaring a human being legally dead. Perhaps it is time to give this subject some exposure to see if a livelier business might take an interest? Does the poll have a policy for such situations, perhaps that could go into the 2017 discussion?

• RMweb Gold

But they probably would because there are no diesels left to model.

Don't forget the Fell diesel-mechanical 4-8-4 (or 4-4-4-4), which hasn't been produced in RTR yet. I can just imagine a layout with a fleet of those!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw no mention of the V2 2-6-2 in the poll for N gauge, so didn't get a chance to vote for it. I'm fairly sure an updated one from Farish would be much in demand.

Hello Crepello

The V2 isn't listed as it was made in 2004. We exclude items post-2000. Otherwise - as noted in the Q&A - we would be making 'quality judgements' as to what goes in or out.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

Before any manufacturer uses their prerogative to announce anything polling in the high tens I am going to have to insist on a vote in the RMWeb House. As we all know RMWeb is sovereign in all such matters and I am now going to the High Court to prove it. :mail:

• Like 1

Over 400 votes for a loco class that was very restricted in its allocation, at least until its final couple of years, and barely lasted more than 10 years in service?

Thomas never even existed but every kid on the block has one ....

This is why the shiny object phenomenon - a really pretty/interesting/unique model has such cachet - like the Wainwright C class (I resisted temptation there) or the GNR Stirling Single (I plan to get one of those) is so important. The more interesting the model the more enthusiasts are likely to be drawn out of their self-imposed 'rules' about what they want in a model railway item.

Might this relatively early loco (1870) provoke a desire for some of its contemporaries? A yellow ochre Gladstone and some blackberry black Creweness might appeal.

I think there's a difference in perception between high-polling and what I'll call 'field of dreams' (if you build it they will come) items.

To me the logical counterpart to the GNR single is the LNWR Improved Precedent in a "Race to the North" theme - perfect for Locomotion.

It is in the polls, where it polled in the middle:

152 LNWR Hardwicke 2-4-0 (LNWR 790/LMS 5031)

Personally I think that were one made, more people would buy it than it's place in the polls suggests.

Serious modellers need workaday locomotives but they will be very exacting. Having some form of novelty factor will appeal to less finicky enthusiasts and some serious modellers alike.

To me a good example of 'novelty' factor is the LNER Coronation and West Riding sets.

It is in the poll and polls well - perhaps in the top 100 - it's hard to tell exactly without tedious counting.

202 LNER Gresley Streamlined Stock inc pre-WWII Beaver Tail Observation Cars (1935 & 1937)

Consistently in this poll, the related NER Dynamometer car polls close to this.

209 NER Dynamometer Car

There are bound to be a lot of people with a garter blue A4, irrespective of their preferred era/region of interest. Despite the costs associated with coaching stock, I believe that many blue A4 owners would be tempted by a reduced formation - no more than two (perhaps one) A+B articulated pairs with an observation car.

The distinction of course with novelty items is that people will only buy one whereas it is quite plausible for people to acquire multiple workaday examples - preferably (from an affordability perspective) over multiple years of re-issues.  The trade-off is a lot of people buying one versus a very small number of people buying several.

The Blue Pullman was the ultimate example of the novelty item. It's appeal is limited only by the inherent expense of six and eight car formations.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

...to be available 2009, if my recollection is correct. 

Seven years no show is grounds for declaring a human being legally dead. Perhaps it is time to give this subject some exposure to see if a livelier business might take an interest? Does the poll have a policy for such situations, perhaps that could go into the 2017 discussion?

Hello 34

Speaking personally, mine has been on actual order since 17.15 on 20 January 2012.

Speaking with my Poll Team hat on, we don't have any 'set policy' on such matters, only that The Guide gets reviewed totally every year. There is a similar situation with Heljan with the announced Wickham Railbus. A response by Heljan to an email from The Team in August 2015 said that it was planned for delivery in 2016. We have a note 'in our diary' for early January 2017 to check that if one has not arrived this year.

Brian

Firstly my thanks to the Poll team for compiling the results again. 

Some interesting results, that to me at least, seem to follow on from the trends of the previous years. 

The main one in the steam results is the continued obliteration of the midland region. By contrast with other areas, it doesn't poll anywhere near as the others, Im not sure how well this bodes for Bachmann who are planning to release some midland engines still, as well as Coal tanks etc. I can see these perhaps not selling as well as might be hoped. The southern region bouyed by lots of releases of everything they seen to model the main range, as well as gaps filled in by shop and magazine comissions seems to still really dominate polling once you get into are more georgraphically definded.

However, I could be slightly cautious against taking everything as true in the poll. Every year several engines that make tours of the preserved railways get popular in subsequent polls. I think this shows the U-class stronger than might be expected, as it has done just that. Equally the 15xx and a S160 has done this too. These engines get stuck in some modellers minds as the current novelty, but would that be the same when they get round some years later to buying a model of it? After that gap would they still buy the item after the novelty of seeing the real one as worn off and probably been replaced by something else. 

The headline prototypes also still poll well. The Streamlined P2 and smaller numbered types still seem to get votes so people can get something that bit different. Interesting to see class 89 polling so well. 

For me, Im glad that the North East is doing so well. The J27 tops the poll, but given companies desires to be creative with tooling combining B16 types, both B16 1 and B16 2 and 3 gives a higher total. Also the gorgeous J21 with J25 totals higher than J26/7 as a combined first vote. That to me shows there is plentiful demand but that prototypes give an excellent probable return. 

With diesel and electric I think the class 156 is now the obvious sore thumb here with the prototype being so widespread and seen along much of the traction that is running. Surely this has to be on someones agenda. I know at least one new unit is in the offing, but this really should have been covered now. 

An intersting poll, but like I said following on with trends and Im curious what others make of it too. 

• RMweb Premium

However, I could be slightly cautious against taking everything as true in the poll. Every year several engines that make tours of the preserved railways get popular in subsequent polls. I think this shows the U-class stronger than might be expected, as it has done just that. Equally the 15xx and a S160 has done this too. These engines get stuck in some modellers minds as the current novelty, but would that be the same when they get round some years later to buying a model of it? After that gap would they still buy the item after the novelty of seeing the real one as worn off and probably been replaced by something else.

Speaking purely for myself, the U was a workhorse of the South Western division of BR(S), and I've been voting for it for years, so my interest in it is in no way due to any tours of heritage railways. In fact, just because something visits a local railway doesn't mean I'd vote for it. I'd rather ration my votes so I'm not competing with myself for stuff to be made.

Of the top 50 items in OO, 43 (if I have counted correctly) are locos or units. What are all these locos going to pull ??!!

Anyway, as Mr Trump has threatened, I don't accept the result as it didn't go my way (ie Class 114 DMU not top of the poll).

Thanks again to Brian and all those involved in organising this.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Black Hat

The LMS Stanier Mogul was in The Top 50 in 2012; the Coal Tank was the second most-wanted LMS type.

In 2013, the top LMS loco became the Caprotti Black 5, with the Coal Tank remaining second.

Brian Macdermott (on behalf of The Poll Team)

The main one in the steam results is the continued obliteration of the midland region. By contrast with other areas, it doesn't poll anywhere near as the others, Im not sure how well this bodes for Bachmann who are planning to release some midland engines still, as well as Coal tanks etc. 

Of course the poll does not measure the popularity of a region as a subject for modelling.  When a region is well satisfied with models either already in the market, or in development that region won't figure as strongly in the polls.

As Brian notes.

The LMS Stanier Mogul was in The Top 50 in 2012; the Coal Tank was the second most-wanted LMS type.

In 2013, the top LMS loco became the Caprotti Black 5, with the Coal Tank remaining second.

What models are available is naturally completely different from what is polled.

For some years now there was actually little being offered for LMSR fans. (In fact Hornby has only 3 in their 2016 catalogue.) But largely thanks to Bachmann it is well represented in 2016.

post-1819-0-26319500-1478286987.jpg

Note that these are not unique models and nor are DCC fitted locomotives included. Multiple liveries count in this data.

These numbers change a bit if we include Hattons/DJM, Kernow/DJM, Heljan, Dapol and Oxford Rail. (The GWR number goes up significantly.) I only used Hornby and Bachmann because I had historical data for them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

I would like to say thank you to the all the poll team for their hard work.

As for the results. At first glance for a LMR modeler it seems a bit disappointing for the LMS. However with a push pull set and PIII Coaches

Along with the 2mt.

I would be more than happy with just one of those remembering what else is due for release.

• RMweb Gold

Of the top 50 items in OO, 43 (if I have counted correctly) are locos or units. What are all these locos going to pull ??!!

Dunno about you, but in my case, formations drawn from 14 Bulleids, 26 Maunsells, 22 BR Mk1s, 12 Pullmans, assorted smaller quantities of GWR, LMS and LNER stock and an indeterminately excessive quantity of NPCS. :jester:  

I think there's a difference in perception between high-polling and what I'll call 'field of dreams' (if you build it they will come) items.

To me the logical counterpart to the GNR single is the LNWR Improved Precedent in a "Race to the North" theme - perfect for Locomotion.

Personally I think that were one made, more people would buy it than it's place in the polls suggests.

Serious modellers need workaday locomotives but they will be very exacting. Having some form of novelty factor will appeal to less finicky enthusiasts and some serious modellers alike.

To me a good example of 'novelty' factor is the LNER Coronation and West Riding sets.

It is in the poll and polls well - perhaps in the top 100 - it's hard to tell exactly without tedious counting.

202 LNER Gresley Streamlined Stock inc pre-WWII Beaver Tail Observation Cars (1935 & 1937)

209 NER Dynamometer Car

There are bound to be a lot of people with a garter blue A4, irrespective of their preferred era/region of interest. Despite the costs associated with coaching stock, I believe that many blue A4 owners would be tempted by a reduced formation - no more than two (perhaps one) A+B articulated pairs with an observation car.

The distinction of course with novelty items is that people will only buy one whereas it is quite plausible for people to acquire multiple workaday examples - preferably (from an affordability perspective) over multiple years of re-issues.  The trade-off is a lot of people buying one versus a very small number of people buying several.

The Blue Pullman was the ultimate example of the novelty item. It's appeal is limited only by the inherent expense of six and eight car formations.

The Dynamometer Car, LNER blue coaches for the Coronation, West Riding Ltd and 1938 World Speed Record run, LNER silver grey coaches for the Silver Jubilee and the rebuilt LNER observation car are available in 00 gauge from Golden Age Models, http://www.goldenagemodels.net, click LNER coaches then click 00. It is not unknown for Hornby to produce model coaches that Golden Age produce. I did run a rake of Golden Age LNER blue coaches with the observation car behind my Hornby Mallard. I told the owner that I could not afford the Golden Age coaches but he told me that I had loads of money and I cannot take it with me to the next World. I might as well buy the coaches and enjoy playing with them while I am still alive.

Edited by Robin Brasher
  • Like 1

I did run a rake of Golden Age LNER blue coaches with the observation car behind my Hornby Mallard. I told the owner that I could not afford the Golden Age coaches but he told me that I had loads of money and I cannot take it with me to the next World. I might as well buy the coaches and enjoy playing with them while I am still alive.

He's right. You can't take it with you, but you have to have enough to spend.

Those who are serious ECML modellers who feel they need such a set will find a way to afford the Golden Age models.

The demand for what I'm calling novelty models is very 'chicken and egg'. Sometimes the demand is not evident until the item is available for purchase - at that point punters who are on the fence will decide to opt in.

As a North East modeller, great to see the J27 up there as with the previous years. The standard 3 also ideal for our Kirby Stephen East layout currently under development. Looking forward as always for the announcements by the manufacturers. Wondering if announcements will be made at Warley show again?

The demand for what I'm calling novelty models is very 'chicken and egg'. Sometimes the demand is not evident until the item is available for purchase - at that point punters who are on the fence will decide to opt in.

If you build it, they will come and buy it.

Or maybe not, as the case may be. Which, of course, is the problem.

Might I express my indignation upon seeing that the class 312 gained more votes than the class 309. (160 votes verses 145)

And my complete incredulity as seeing that the 'misery box' that replaced both of the above, the class 321, managed to gain 159 votes.

One questions if those who voted were all born post 1990 and therefore too young to remember to former.

This all smacks of a left wing conspiracy to deny my plastic layout passengers a level of comfortable travel whilst they travel around in circles.

I shall, therefore, be writing to the Daily Mail forthwith to express my concern on this matter, which I find to be wholly unacceptable.

Yours, outraged from Essex. :crazy:  xD

Ps. Thanks to the team for their efforts in carrying out the survey.

• Like 1

But they probably would because there are no diesels left to model.

However, it is a gap that needs to be filled, it seems odd you can model the modern WCML but pre 1990 is very difficult RTR and pre 1980 has way too many gaps to make a representative layout.

maybe there aren't many diesels left to pick, but if they're rising to the top of 'most wanted' list in that category then they must surely get made at some point

• RMweb Gold

I shall, therefore, be writing to the Daily Mail forthwith to express my concern on this matter, which I find to be wholly unacceptable.

I agree with you. Writing to the Daily Fail to express your concern on any matter is wholly unacceptable.

We can expect them to publish pictures on Monday of manufacturer MDs, their families and pets and labelled as 'Enemies of the British (optional inclusion for added jingoism) Modellers'.

• Like 1

..I told the owner that I could not afford the Golden Age coaches but he told me that I had loads of money and I cannot take it with me to the next World. I might as well buy the coaches and enjoy playing with them while I am still alive.

...and you can also arrange for your models to be buried with you, so you'll have something to do in the afterlife (other belief systems are available, and you should always check your local burial regulations).

... What are all these locos going to pull ?...

Trains. That is the source of the great appeal of the traditional railway with discrete traction in my opinion. From whatever selection of vehicles is available, trains can be assembled suitable to be hauled by a large selection of traction. And I can add most vehicle types by my own efforts much faster than locos, so particularly like the opportunity to purchase the latter RTR. Pretty sure I am not alone in this approach.

209 NER Dynamometer Car

A Golden Age 0 gauge model of an NER Dynamometer Car in front of Swanage Station, under construction, in the Purbeck Model Railway Group's model in the first floor of the stables at Godlingston Manor, Swanage. This shows that an enterprising manufacturer is willing to take the risk of producing one and the novelty factor is sufficient for someone to run it on a Southern layout.

post-17621-0-51652900-1478794506_thumb.jpg

• Like 1