Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I hope that you've made good progress in recovering from your cold. I am looking forward to saying hello again in the morning. I should be there with at least my eldest two, and possibly the whole family, fairly early on. So I'm sure you won't have eaten all the mince pies by then!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

I've had a DCC layout with two wires

My Hornby DCC trainset!!

The 08s look great, I'd be tempted to get one if they weren't about 50 years out of my period, even though I may get one anyway...

Look forward to seeing the final version of the plan!

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Best practice with wiring is to have at least one dropper from each piece of rail and not to rely on fishplates whether the layout is DC or DCC. The difference is what you do with the dropper under the baseboard. For DCC they only need to connect to one of the two wires. For DC they need to be joined to others in the same section then connected to a wire running back to the section switch.

Don

Hi Andy,

If you don't mind me asking why do you need so many wires for (no disrespect) a small layout?  Im assuming your not doing DCC detection at all, so In my mind, its one for each fiddle yard road, then a central bus under the layout with a feed off for each siding so you need to worry about electrical connections on the points or sound stopping? Depending on how your working your point motors, you could tap the power and DCC signal off the central bus as well, save a bit more wire!

Marsh Lane will be a little more complicated, as I want the ability for each road in the depot to be either DCC or normal DC, but I don't think you have or want that degree of control?  If I didn't want DC control, then there would just be one central bus, with a feeder for each siding/road off the bus, simple and easy - unless I'm missing something!

Rich

Morning Rich, with DCC and Sound Track feed,  power and cleanliness is critical. I have also modified the Points for Frog polarity switching so each point already has 3 wires soldered to them, (10 points = 30 wires soldered) a pair of droppers and a Frog wire soldered to the micro switch so that I'm not reliant on the point blade touching the stock rail to transfer power along the line. I'm also a great believer in the fact that Fish Plates do NOT pass the full power if there is dirt in them, which after weathering and ballasting there may well be, so again I like a dropper to the Bus Bar from each piece of rail, this also ensures that no matter how far the Loco is from the Controller it is still getting the same power, i.e. a direct feed from the bus bar to the rail, not via a series of Fish Plates.

So the total No of droppers to the Bus Bar will in actual fact be 44 including the Fiddle Yard.

I hope this rough plan helps mate.

post-9335-0-06039000-1481360286_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Andy,

I hope that you've made good progress in recovering from your cold. I am looking forward to saying hello again in the morning. I should be there with at least my eldest two, and possibly the whole family, fairly early on. So I'm sure you won't have eaten all the mince pies by then!

Kind regards, Neil

Cheers Neil, Sorry I will miss you but I wont be there weathering this weekend now as my throat is still bad and I don't want to do any talking that will make it worse, or spread it around the Club and the public.

Best practice with wiring is to have at least one dropper from each piece of rail and not to rely on fishplates whether the layout is DC or DCC. The difference is what you do with the dropper under the baseboard. For DCC they only need to connect to one of the two wires. For DC they need to be joined to others in the same section then connected to a wire running back to the section switch.

Don

Morning Don , Spot on mate, I hadn't read your reply when I wrote mine above, but yes I wire both DC and DCC layouts the same way from the top down, then as you say it's down to how many section switches you have from there onwards, or to a Bus Bar.

I've had a DCC layout with two wires

My Hornby DCC trainset!!

The 08s look great, I'd be tempted to get one if they weren't about 50 years out of my period, even though I may get one anyway...

Look forward to seeing the final version of the plan!

Peter

Agh yes the venerable Train Set, just 2 wires, indeed they are.

You do really need  an 08, the are the stable workhorse of the British Fleet.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear your still suffering from the dreaded Lurrgy. There's plenty of it going around at the moment. I've had to cover for a couple of our drivers this week who have gone sick and Di and Anthony have both had it as well.  I'll probably be the next in line  :O Yippee!!

Hope you feel better soon.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

So the total No of droppers to the Bus Bar will in actual fact be 44 including the Fiddle Yard.

I hope this rough plan helps mate.

attachicon.gifTrack Plan 1 001 - Copy.JPG

Hi Andy,

Sorry ignore me, I really don't know what I was thinking when I responded last night! Your working the same way I would, I'd got it into my head it was multiple cables from the controller somehow!! Durrhh!! Another one here for the fruitcake ward!

Totally agree with the way your planning on wiring, looks good.

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We've been MOVED I couldn't find me. :O

Hi Andy,

I know! Confused the hell out of me this morning!!! :). I have put a post on the Forum Help topic to ask Andy Y about the move - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117733-7mm-forum-move/ if anyone agrees or disgrees with my comments, could be worth a post? Not that it should, nor do I want that to descent into an argument!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

We've been MOVED I couldn't find me. :O

I am sure it wasn't anything personal Andy  :jester:  Unless Andy Y thought the bug you have might be catching  :nono:

Shame you are having to miss the Mince Pie event I know you look forward to them it. Hope you are better soon.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Neil, Sorry I will miss you but I wont be there weathering this weekend now as my throat is still bad and I don't want to do any talking that will make it worse, or spread it around the Club and the public.

Andy,

Sorry to hear that you are still under the weather , and to have missed you at the show. The kids were asking after you having been told all about the crazy man who makes layout after layout and then sells them on or breaks them up! Peter and the others made us all very welcome though!

Hope you are soon back to full health and we'll catch you next time!

Kind regards , Neil

• Like 1

Evening Guys, Well I didn't get to our Open Weekend , but after lunch, (2 Pills and a cup of Tea) I went out to the Old Potting Shed, stuck a bit of The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan on the CD, and sat quietly doing the droppers, I eventually got it all finished in time for a Visitor, but more of that later.

So finally the Track is down, wired and working.
post-9335-0-76988000-1481395086_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76128600-1481395252_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-21503700-1481395298_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23937100-1481395347_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-67078700-1481395387_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 13

Track plan seems to progressing well Andy. Hope you are feeling better soon. I was planning to venture over to the open day this afternoon, but the youngster's birthday party ran later than expected. I may make it over tomorrow afternoon, depending on what mood I am in around 2pm when the Derby v Forest game has finished.

Edited by andyram

So yes I had a Visitor this evening, whilst trying out some Stock movements.

Can you guess who it is?   Answers at the end of the Post.

post-9335-0-39909900-1481396086_thumb.jpg

Then some Stock movements

post-9335-0-39439100-1481396137_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-30119200-1481396156_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-50424100-1481396174_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-39818500-1481396195_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-64731300-1481396215_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-66095800-1481396233_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06412300-1481396249_thumb.jpg

Oh yes, BTW that was Duncan / emt_911 in the first pic. He had travelled up from Croydon, Souff London last night to visit our Clubs Open Weekend and popped around for a coffee after todays proceedings. I hope I haven't passed my germs on to him, still he did like the 08's trundling about the Yard.

• Like 14

Track plan seems to progressing well Andy. Hope you are feeling better soon. I was planning to venture over to the open day this afternoon, but the youngster's birthday party ran later than expected. I may make it over tomorrow afternoon, depending on what mood I am in around 2pm when the Derby v Forest game has finished.

What's a Derby v Forest Game, hide and seek in the BIG woods? hhahah

Thanks Andy.

I've had a cracking day helping at the club and spent most of the day operating the clubs layout. I'm back there again tomorrow to give a hand again.

A quick visit to catch up with Andy and well worth seeing Beale St in its infancy and those locos are stunning.

Hope you're better soon Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the recent pics, Andy, including the one with Duncan on it.....

..... a long-time contributor to KL/KL2.

Must say, he's a shifty looking character ...... only joking! Nice to put a face to the name.

And btw, couldn't agree more about the wiring. I fit a pair of droppers per 50cm-ish, so 2 pairs per yard length of flexi. Relying on conduction through the fishplates is just asking for trouble.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Did you notice that you hadn't flagged two short lengths in post 304 as needing droppers? Hope you haven't overlooked to wire them.

One is the length beyond the curved track of the first point after the sector plate. The other is the fourth track from the right approximately where I think you have the baseboard joint.

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

• Like 1

Andy

Did you notice that you hadn't flagged two short lengths in post 304 as needing droppers? Hope you haven't overlooked to wire them.

One is the length beyond the curved track of the first point after the sector plate. The other is the fourth track from the right approximately where I think you have the baseboard joint.

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow.

Cheers Ray, the bit of Track with the Yellow rings are actually fed from the ''V'' of the point and so cannot be wired, but the fish plates are soldered across. and the feeds by the baseboard joint are near the baseboard joint as marked by the Blue Arrows and will only need extra feeds if ever the Layout is split as there lines have again had the Fish Plates soldered to save on more droppers.

post-9335-0-59769900-1481407656_thumb.jpg

Thanks for keeping an eye on me.

• Like 2