Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Don`t want to influence your 'train' of thought Andy,but you could use Birmingham Central goods as a basis for a layout?.Well,the right side at least.....(as you look at the pic`s)

Ok it is a bit... bigger than the space you have,but it does come straight out of a tunnel,and if you scroll down the linked page a bit you will also see a 25 & 08!.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/centralgoods.htm

Brian.

PS,i like both  08`s...... :good:

I like the precision location system. However I would have to chain the block of wood to the baseboard to stop it wandering.

A lot of full size track is not that well laid or perhaps was well laid but since moved. The difference is with several tons even in a wagon it makes a lot of difference to road holding.  Wagons are harder to get going and hard to stop full size. You can watch track distort as a loco passes over.

A goods or a marshalling yard sounds your best bet to me. A marshalling yard just needs a set of sidings . A freight pulls with stuff for local distribution the 08 sorts in into a number of trip or pickup workings. Another freight comes in and that gets sorted too. When the trips freights are ready they are dispatched. I assume an 08 might do a local run to a nearby goods yard. When the trip freights bring back empties or loaded wagons these get sorted into the freights to other destinations. Plenty of action.

Don 

Well thanks Brian  / Tove and Don, you guys gave me something to look at and think about.

I've been out in the Shed and had a complete re jig of all the Track and made just a Marshalling Yard with 3 longish sidings instead of loads of small sidings and it seems to flow much better. The only exception is the Coal Yard that will stay.

In fact the principal isn't a million miles from my Loch Leven / Fiddlers Yard Track Plan that I really enjoyed operating both at home and at Exhibitions so it must be O.K.

Nothing is pinned down yet and a fresh look in the morning will determine whether I keep it or not. My gut feeling is that it has a more open feel to it with room at the back for some Hill / Grass bank and Fencing.

Also now there are 2 Entry / Exit Roads from the Fiddle Yard giving even more movement and interest.

post-9335-0-67986800-1480889325_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08654400-1480889345_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-78017800-1480889363_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Evening Andy,

I prefer this to the earlier design, it does flow better: less 'bitty'. 

I can see a Class 25 slowly crawl down the arrival line, uncouple, run-round and then trundle off 'somewhere', allowing an 08 to split the train up and shunt. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Evening Andy,

I prefer this to the earlier design, it does flow better: less 'bitty'. 

I can see a Class 25 slowly crawl down the arrival line, uncouple, run-round and then trundle off 'somewhere', allowing an 08 to split the train up and shunt. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

And a 26 as well now. :O

Well it was a bargain, :no:  and I had the 00 Version when I had Glen Roy, so now Beale St has to be somewhere around Glasgow I guess. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

And a 26 as well now. :O

Well it was a bargain, :no:  and I had the 00 Version when I had Glen Roy, so now Beale St has to be somewhere around Glasgow I guess. :sungum:

I have to keep telling myself not to buy either a 7mm Dapol Terrier or their 08 shunter at the moment! The whole situation was made worse, when one club member brought his Terrier in GWR livery last Monday. Whole lot of modelling soul-searching that night!

At the moment, thoughts of a small (8ft) goods depot, set circa 1914, with a LB&SCR Umber Terrier acting as yard pilot are very strong! 

Kind regards,

Nick

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 1

I have to keep telling myself not to buy either a 7mm Dapol Terrier or their 08 shunter at the moment! The whole situation was made worse, when one club member brought his Terrier in GWR livery last Monday. Whole lot of modelling soul-searching that night!

At the moment, thoughts of a small (8ft) goods depot, set circa 1914, with a LB&SCR Umber Terrier acting as yard pilot are very strong! 

Kind regards,

Nick

You only live once,, go you know you want to. hahhaha

• RMweb Gold

Kind regards,

Nick

Don't look at Peter's Saltdean then http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/98308-saltdean-lbscr-in-0-gauge/page-1

Don

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Finally having a catch up on your latest project. I must admit I like the latest plan better than the first. I like the way you have done the fiddle yard too I might have to borrow that. 

What thickness Ply do you build your boards with? I might be able to get some in the next few weeks.

Oh what Livery class 26 did you get. I managed to get one of the last blue ones from Tower models when they were cheaper. It's a super model.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Have you realised that the sector plate nearest the operator - furthest from the window - can only be accessed by running wrong road off of the scenic area onto the sector plate?

Hi Andy,

Finally having a catch up on your latest project. I must admit I like the latest plan better than the first. I like the way you have done the fiddle yard too I might have to borrow that. 

What thickness Ply do you build your boards with? I might be able to get some in the next few weeks.

Oh what Livery class 26 did you get. I managed to get one of the last blue ones from Tower models when they were cheaper. It's a super model.

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter, I use 9mm medium quality Ply and it seems fine. I used Cheap quality once and it de-laminated, I don't need Marine Ply unless I have another Flood.

The 26 is Green mate, I would have liked Blue, (as I had in OO) but this was a Bargain and will go with the Green 25 and 08's.

Glad you've caught up.

Andy

Have you realised that the sector plate nearest the operator - furthest from the window - can only be accessed by running wrong road off of the scenic area onto the sector plate?

Hi Ray, There is NO wrong Road as its not a Station just all part of the Goods Yard, and there have been some more changes there since the last set of pics so more pics later.

Keep moving the track around Bud you'll get there in the end...

I have this morning mate, and straightened up the Sidings to include a Distribution Depot along the back at the far end as I want an Urban setting this time, the opposite to Trebudoc and St Budoc. 

Morning Peter, I use 9mm medium quality Ply and it seems fine. I used Cheap quality once and it de-laminated, I don't need Marine Ply unless I have another Flood.

The 26 is Green mate, I would have liked Blue, (as I had in OO) but this was a Bargain and will go with the Green 25 and 08's.

Glad you've caught up.

Thanks Andy,

I guess if you do want to change time periods you could always paint them blue. :D

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Well it was warmer in the Old Potting Shed than indoors this morning so I decided to modify the Points and fit the Peco PL33 Micro Switches for the Frog Polarity.

Just one more set of Points to modify and fit and then it's a case of tidying up the Sidings etc. and putting in the Track Feeds, although each point was tested before fitting to ensure the Frog Polarity was correct.

Ray pointed out that the Fiddle Yard Track furthest from the Window only had one feed onto the Layout, and as you will see I already had a plan for that but forgot to change it before the last lot of Photos, that has now been sorted.

Why use 8 Points when you can use 10? :O  :nono:  :nono: :nono:  

post-9335-0-75060300-1481035925_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-00466300-1481035944_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-60586800-1481035961_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-84533200-1481035979_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-48680600-1481036004_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13897600-1481036020_thumb.jpg

• Like 10