Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

John,

Have a close look at the photos above in post #107 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116976-beale-st/?p=2513613

The solder pads for the speaker wires can be seen on the loco PCB. They are each labelled 'SPK'. You can see these clearly in the 6th and 7th pictures, the latter having red and black speaker wires soldered in place.

It does not matter which speaker wire is soldered to which SPK pad, so long as it is only one to each.

Kind regards,

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that, but I was asking about soldering wires to the Zimo LS twin speakers (the other end so to speak). My twin speaker has arrived from Digitrains without wires, which I had asked them to attach.

I understand where they are to go on the Pcb. The LS Twin speaker has a connecting wire bar joining each terminal. My question was can I just solder some wires to anywhere on the two bars or do the twin speakers have to be wired in any other way?

Cheers

John

Paul

Had my mate Jeff, (Binny) around this evening and what a cracking evening it was, just running the Black 08 up and down on 9ft of Track with a couple of Dapol Wagons and going through many of the different Sounds. Jeff / We also sorted out the Fiddle Yard area and now all I need to do is cut some more board tomorrow and then I can start to plan Beale St Yard.

I will do some pics tomorrow.

• Like 13

Have you done anything today ????

Thanks mate, yes I was busy this morning and I've almost finished all the baseboards, the Sector Plate has been cut and fitted, but just needs a support at the moving end.

I'm out at Club tonight and then out all day tomorrow so looking forward to finishing Beale St Baseboards on Thursday and then I can show some Plan ideas.

• Like 5

Everyone seems to be going 7mm scale!  For myself it was not being able to see and handle 4mm lamp brackets, but seriously, I realized that with 7mm you look at the layout, not look down on it.  Since I never liked helicopters when I worked on offshore oil rigs, this suits me fine!

With Tony Wright bemoaning the take over of 4mm scale by the Bs and Hs of this world I couldn't help thinking that perhaps Gauge O is gaining traction because we like to do things our way.  Is there any truth in that?

Beale St looks interesting and I shall follow with interest!

• Like 1

There are now so many locos available in 4mm scale that we are in danger of overkill. Many 4mm layouts use the same stock and have an uncanny resemblance to each other. I agree with you Paul A that in the smaller scales one tends to look down on the layout but as you say in 0 one looks AT the layout. With 00 locos rising rapidly in price especially when DCC fitted the myth that 0 is expensive is surely blown. Bearing in mind that in 0 you NEED less in a given space than in 4mm the cost of a layout in the larger scale is probably about the same as an overstocked 4mm one. In some cases probably less.

Rod

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Everyone seems to be going 7mm scale!

All joking aside, I am really struggling not to buy a O gauge Dapol Terrier currently. A real battle of wills of practical agains heart!

I suspect I will crack!

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 3

Evening Guys, interesting comments above.

I still have some 60 or so OO Locos, and about half with Sound, and about 100 plus Wagons etc. I will be building another Layout for them in about 18ft x 2.5ft /12ft Scenic, so it will be a Busy Terminus / Goods Yard / Fiddle Yard Layout.

On the other hand my O Gauge Beale St will be the same size, but a Goods Yard and I'll have just 3 X 08's in 3 different liveries, Blue Tops, Black Early Crest and Green Late Crest and the 25 with only a max of 2 Locos on the Layout at any one time. Plus I'll have about 15 to 20 Wagons max but only about 9 on the visible section at any one time, shuffled from a Playing Card System.

I recon that in time, the OO will go and the O will be extended into a U shape around the Shed, to give me more locations for Wagons to go to, as shunting a couple of Wagons using all the Sound functions correctly at scale speeds and the realistic coupling  / uncoupling with 3 Links will win the day satisfaction wise.

The secret in my opinion is to have enough destinations for Wagons to be deposited into, this will give me plenty to think about, so I'm looking to include a Warehouse, Goods Shed, Dairy, Side Loading Dock, End Loading Dock and  Coal yard. If I can fit in a small Oil Siding then so much the better. Wagons will have a Card System to show where they should end up.

So shuffling say 20 Cards and selecting say 7 for a Train in the Fiddle Yard plus a Brake Van will mean that the likelihood of the same 7 wagons, in the same order in the Train will be almost impossible.

When removing the Wagons from the Scenic Section I will shuffle 7 Cards with Numbers 3 to 9 on them, I will select just one card, that will be the number of Wagons to be removed from the Layout. I will then shuffle the Cards of the Wagons on the Scenic Section and the 3 / 5/ /7/ /9 to match the chosen Number will be collected. This may involve moving Wagons to get to one behind and therefore will take much longer than simply going and collecting Wagons.

I may get the Dapol Jinty, but I will see how things go, one thing is for sure; I will enjoy the build and running.

EDIT = Just to add that the above card system was pinched from John Flann / Hintock.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Its something in the way she  the stock moves. It seems more real and has real presence. 0 gauge figures too can be characters you can see them well enough. Short trains are quite satisfying in 0 gauge but look a bit lost in smaller scales. The downsides well if you fancy a King with 14 on it needs a lot of space as well as hefty budget. But if you enjoy a bit f shunting or a modest branch line or light railway 0 gauge is great.

When I took up 0 gauge RTR was rare mostly commissioning someone to build it for you. Most people built kits. This has changed  and Dapol and Ixion/Minerva are making it even easier for those with a limited budget to get started.

Don 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The secret in my opinion is to have enough destinations for Wagons to be deposited into, this will give me plenty to think about, so I'm looking to include a Warehouse, Goods Shed, Dairy, Side Loading Dock, End Loading Dock and  Coal yard. If I can fit in a small Oil Siding then so much the better. Wagons will have a Card System to show where they should end up.

Exactly correct.......basically a BIG shunting puzzle, great stuff.

Well hopefully an early start tomorrow, (in fact I may put the Heater on now :O  :nono: ) and I can finish the Fiddle Yard, then fit the Backscene and clear the top so that I can lay out some bits of Track and get some photos.

Also the Speakers should arrive from Jintyman as well tomorrow so I can fit one in the Blue 08 and then hear the difference between the original from Pauliebanger and Jinty's. It's not going to be a case of one any better than the other, it's just a case of a slightly different sound.

I also need to start to tidy up the other side of the Shed ready for the New OO project as well.

• Like 4

Just been out and WACKED UP the Heater in the Old Potting Shed, give it an hour and it will be cooking and ready for me to step inside.

I agree Marcus, the 3 steps from the Conservatory to the Shed were darned cold.

You Northen whimps.......you need real cold, down here it almost got frosty yesterday, I might even have to start wearing socks soon  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

MINUS 4 when I got in the car, (EVENTUALLY) at 08.30am yesterday.

I don't do COLD. :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

Well a good start to the day, the woodwork side of the 3 Road 6ft long Fiddle Yard Sector Plate is now complete.

Firstly with it back against the wall the front line will line up with the exit Track.

post-9335-0-44844600-1480591151_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-35644900-1480591232_thumb.jpg

Then the middle Track will have a drop down bolt into a hole to locate and align it.

post-9335-0-58132000-1480591214_thumb.jpg

And since the first 3 pics were taken I've fitted a wooden stop for the sector plate to align the rear Track.

post-9335-0-85182900-1480591309_thumb.jpg

Note = No tracks are fixed yet.

• Like 16

Looks good Andy, certainly a cheaper alternative to O gauge points and obviously a space saver which is another must, as I'm starting to discover. The 08 and a couple of OAA wagon arrived today.. I cant remember the last time I opened a box from Hattons and actually smiled like a kid! 

• Like 5

Well a good start to the day, the woodwork side of the 3 Road 6ft long Fiddle Yard Sector Plate is now complete.

Firstly with it back against the wall the front line will line up with the exit Track.

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard 1 001.JPG

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard 1 002.JPG

Then the middle Track will have a drop down bolt into a hole to locate and align it.

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard 1 003.JPG

And since the first 3 pics were taken I've fitted a wooden stop for the sector plate to align the rear Track.

attachicon.gifFiddle Yard 1 005.JPG

Note = No tracks are fixed yet.

My Andy you ain't hanging about, looks good mate....

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Andy Nice to see track going down.

Although the Northerners think they have it cold the coldest recorded temperatures in the UK outside of Scotland are in the Midlands in Shropshire. Official records show -25 at Shawbury in 1981 and -26 in Newport in 1982. We were living in Shropshire at the time and can remember it.  At one point around then they were running out of water in Wolverhampton because so many pipes were burst underground.

Don

Looks very nice Andy :)

Cheers

My Andy you ain't hanging about, looks good mate....

Looks good Andy Nice to see track going down.

Although the Northerners think they have it cold the coldest recorded temperatures in the UK outside of Scotland are in the Midlands in Shropshire. Official records show -25 at Shawbury in 1981 and -26 in Newport in 1982. We were living in Shropshire at the time and can remember it.  At one point around then they were running out of water in Wolverhampton because so many pipes were burst underground.

Don

Thanks Paul, George and Don, more pics in a mo, I'm glad I went for all new Board tops rather than trying to salvage and cover the hopes in the last ones, that's also one big advantage of screw down tops on a frame, there easy to take off and replace.

Looks good Andy, certainly a cheaper alternative to O gauge points and obviously a space saver which is another must, as I'm starting to discover. The 08 and a couple of OAA wagon arrived today.. I cant remember the last time I opened a box from Hattons and actually smiled like a kid! 

I know what you mean Scott, the sheer weight of even a wagon is impressive, (although I still add weight to the underframe) I you need weights go around to your local Tyre Centre and ask if you can pick up a few Lead wheel weights off the floor, they don't replace them these days, they just fit new.