The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Grand Tour, Amazon Prime

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Who else has watched Clarkson, Hammon & May's son of Top Gear on Amazon Prime?

I thought it was excellent. The tent bits were a bit uneven and probably need time for them to settle into the revised format but the filmed sequences were quite stunning and beautifully produced. For fans of Clarkson era Top Gear it feels warm and comfortable, capturing most of what made the old show enjoyable. Compared to the last series of Top Gear it was in a completely different class. With Chris Evans gone and The Grand Tour offering a show which will appeal to fans of the old show I'm hoping Matt LeBlanc will overhaul the show and take it in a new direction as there would seem to be little mileage in trying to produce a facsimile copy of an older show if fans can get that from the original team on Amazon Prime. My own opinion is that the Top Gear producers blundered by just trying to recreate what they inherited from Clarkson  but without the chemistry that made the old show so popular and as a result it felt like a cheap and mediocre knock off of something better. If they let LeBlanc take it in a new direction then I think he could do something great as he was one of the successes of the Evans show and is a genuine petrol head.

On the Grand Tour, it is early days but it gets three thumbs up from me, very promising.

• RMweb Gold

I agree. I thought it contained all that was good with TopGear at its best. Lots of promise.

Apart from the ip bits they couldn't take with them it could easily have been TopGear on tour.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Normal service is resumed..............the losers are the BBC and the devoted viewers who can't get the new service.....and boy are the BBC in trouble over the next TG series now, perhaps time to call it a day and move to a new format.

Loved the beginning and the film quality was outstanding. I did find that I was a little bored from time to time as it ran for 70 minutes and there was a fair bit of filler. Probably 15 minutes too long, but overall it was great seeing the three together again. Looking forward to seeing them knock Clarkson's house down.....

As a first show it was good and it will be great to see how it develops.

I thought it was excellent. The tent bits were a bit uneven and probably need time for them to settle into the revised format but the filmed sequences were quite stunning and beautifully produced. 

I completely agree; some of the tent elements had awkward pauses and felt a bit contrived rather than any natural chemistry. However the opening sequence was probably one of the best three minutes of telly I've seen and it made a very bold statement in comparison to the cringeworthy debut of Chris Evans on TG. I am sure someone at the Beeb had their hands at that very moment when they could see they'd been utterly outplayed.

I even watched that intro a second time this morning and it still brought a smile to the face.

3 x £1m supercars genuinely scaring the drivers; good stuff.

• Like 2

I have just watched it. Thought it was superb. I agree about the studio / tent elements being a bit stilted at times. I would like to have seen some version of a star in a car, making use of the new track - however i suppose that format is one that belongs to the BBC.

Watching now.  The intro sequence was a giant 'Folk Hue' to the BBC, and rightly so.

The chemistry is undeniable - it makes the forced bonhomie of Top Drear under Evans look as risible as it manifestly was.

I think next week is ripe for ordering pizzas and getting a few beers in - this is one of those series that promises to be an old school 'must watch' with the family (or a bunch of reprobates)!

• Like 1

I wonder what what really came first, the demolition for a planned re-build, or the idea from the programme bet..........the story is going to run for three shows is the rumour.                                                     

• RMweb Premium

I was a little disappointed with it, probably because I was expecting too much having read so many glowing reviews.  Certainly the opening was superb, but most of what went on in the tent was really rather poor and sometimes stilted although I am sure it will improve as time goes on.  I didn't really like the new track very much and I missed The Stig and didn't really care at all for "The American" who I fear may be a permanant and, IMO, unwelcome addition to the programme.  And they're going to have to find something entertaining for their celebrity guests to do. Finally, as Gordon says above, it was a bit too long with just a little too much filler. But the camaraderie and chemistry between the three presenters was still very much there and In spite of its faults I did enjoy it - perhaps comparable with a good TG from the old BBC days, but not up there with the best ones.

DT

On reflection my comment would be that this could benefit from tightening-up. Its more generous timing has definitely allowed a bit of rambling and sloppiness (read 'self-indulgence').  

It shows the BBC team in one especially good light, their knack for a tight and punchy edit.  However, on face value, is there any point in the BBC perservering with TG now, in its barely evolved Evans/ LeBlanc format?  For my money they'd be better off resting it and coming back with something else entirely.

Finally had a chance to watch it. Have to agree it was everything that was great about TG. Also agree it could have been tighter but that's often the case when something isn't limited by a broadcast slot.

Anybody know if that's true about a WW2 bomb at RAF Wroughton?

Cheers

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Dave is part owned by the BBC so it's unlikely to be shown there.

Amazon let you sign up for a free one month trial of Prime, so it may be worth waiting until the Grand Tour series ends then binge watch using the free trial.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

You need to be a subscriber to Amazon Prime.

Then you can download an Amazon video app to a tablet, games console or computer.

Click on Amazon app and view from there.

I've not tried it but Amazon Prime subscribers can use use the Amazon Fire TV Stick via a TV usb port.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00KAKUN3E

The Amazon Prime Video app is also on Smart TVs.

Al

I thought it was grandiose self-indulgence, and rightly so. I enjoyed it immensely, yes it was slightly bloated but I'm sure Andy Wilman will sort that out. I think the studio piece was a bit ropey when it got to the yank/brit thing but I couldn't help being distracted by the lady immediately behind Clarkson when talking to camera with the extreme white teeth - they were almost luminous. Amazon will be on to a winner here me thinks. Oh, and Carol Vorderman doesn't half get around doesn't she?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed it for what it is, light hearted entertainment. I do wonder if part of the bloatedness that was the tent scenes was partly to give time to introduce the trio to a wider world audience. What ever it was for, this part could have been better.

For watching the show they do not mention the very obvious way, ANY PC will stream the show in full HD as long as your broadband is up to it, and not in the wilds. There is no need for an app or down load, just join, or use the free trial, and your all set up for the Prime Service, which covers loads of free, and pay per view items, like music and films, plus faster same day Amazon delivery as long as your next door to Amazon's Warehouse !!!!!!....... or in London.... anywhere they have to drive too is outside the same day delivery basically........

Absolutely no connect with Amazon, just reporting.....

Stephen

I enjoyed it for what it is, light hearted entertainment. I do wonder if part of the bloatedness that was the tent scenes was partly to give time to introduce the trio to a wider world audience. What ever it was for, this part could have been better.

Don't tell anyone,...... the tent scenes are partly shot in a studio........and edited in to the outside scenes and intros.......keep an eye on the audiences over the weeks, there may be a few familiar faces in there by then.......

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

I can't really see why Amazon would sell the series to a broadcast network when their original content has been developed to get people to sign up tp Prime. I am not sure that some of the broadcast networks take on-line streaming too seriously yet I doubt I am the only one whose household almost never watches traditional broadcast TV. If people sign up for Amazon for a particular hook like the Grand Tour they may realise just how much good content is available. And Amazon is just one provider, there are others.

On TG, I wouldn't write it off. If you look beyond the truly awful Chris Evans bombing some of the other presenters were excellent and Matt Leblanc got better as the show went on. If the Grand Tour forces the BBC to reinvent the show in the way Clarkson did then the show does have some great talent. What I think will bomb is if they make the mistake of trying to copy Clarkson and company with different faces again. The show has to evolve.