Bera Mine - 7mm narrow gauge

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi

A few years ago I built a small 7mm narrow gauge layout, which had been exhibited a few times and now has been sold to a new home.

The overall size started as 3ft x 2ft, but was extended a little on one side where the 0-16.5 loop was to close to the edge for comfort and gave some space for a stream and water fall. I don't remember having photos showing this section though.

The lower loop, with single siding is Peco 0-16.5 narrow gauge, with tunnels at each end, with access at the rear to the track and trains. The upper section is 009 Peco narrow gauge, with one siding running into an 'engine-shed' and the other running above unloading chute, down onto the 0-16.5 below. The end of the 0n9 runs into a short tunnel, one photo shows this with the engine emerging.

I will add more photos and construction details over the coming weeks, but if you have any comments or questions, please add and I try to answer.

Thanks for looking.:D

post-7854-126877704046_thumb.jpg

post-7854-12687771302_thumb.jpg

post-7854-126877727658_thumb.jpg

post-7854-126877734581_thumb.jpg

The overall size started as 3ft x 2ft, but was extended a little on one side

What lovely character (and I don't just mean the old codger) lots of great detailing.

I will add more photos and construction details over the coming weeks, but if you have any comments or questions, please add and I try to answer.

Yes please - any chance of a track plan?

• RMweb Gold

What lovely character (and I don't just mean the old codger) lots of great detailing.

Hi Kenton

Thanks for your comments.

I will draw / sketch a track plan and will post, but won't be for a few days. Watch this space.

The lower 0-16.5 track runs in a loop, with a single point at the front, with the siding running back towards the loading chute. The upper 09 track has a single point.

• RMweb Gold

Love the weeds at the ending of the siding where the wooden wall is. What did you use to create them?

Hi Ian,

The scenary is mostly from the Green Scenes range. The taller weeds are from a pasting brush, being light brown in colour. A few bristles are cut off with scissors and glued into position with PVA glue. The glue is placed where the weeds are required, just a small 'blob' and the bristles pushed into the glue. The bristles will spread out a litlle, but can be persuaded into position if required.

• RMweb Gold

I have attached three more photos.

The first shows the lower 0-16.5 siding, with scratch built Bagnall running on a Tenshodo motor bogie. The wagon behind, also scratchbuilt from plasticard, sits under the loading chute. The loading chute has been built from wood and stained / weathered as required.

The second photo is an overall view showing the upper 09 track, with point. The lower track can be glimpsed through the trees.

The third shows some of the details on the upper track, including pump, fuel tank etc. Most of the details have been scratchbuilt.

post-7854-126894072226_thumb.jpg

post-7854-126894081635_thumb.jpg

post-7854-126894085371_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kenton,

I have attached a simple sketch showing the track plan. Sorry a bit rough, but without having the layout anymore (a new home in South Wales), I've worked from memory. As you can see, the lower loop is Peco 0-16.5 track with a single point into the siding, with tunnels at each end. The upper 0n9 track (also Peco, but 009) has a single point, with one end running into a tunnel. Let me know if would like anything else and I will attempt to answer.

Mudmagnet

post-7854-126954203328_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I've added a couple more photos.

One shows the tunnel on the upper level, with cables running into the 'mine' for lights etc. The water tower is served by a pipe running from the near by stream.

The second shows the pump shed and behind the small generator. Most of these details being scratchbuilt from plasticard using photos of similar items as a guide. The shed door is complete with padlock (non-working!)

post-7854-126954445204_thumb.jpg

post-7854-126954446565_thumb.jpg

The individual details you have included are really outstanding - the whole layout exudes character.

Can I ask what you used for ballast on the 0-16.5 track as its one of the best end results I have seen on this type of layout ?

• RMweb Gold

The individual details you have included are really outstanding - the whole layout exudes character.

Can I ask what you used for ballast on the 0-16.5 track as its one of the best end results I have seen on this type of layout ?

Hi Wheeltapper,

Thanks for your comments.

The ballast was supplied by Greenscenes and was a mixture of 4mm ballast (various colours), supplied specially by Greenscenes in a large tub - I still have about half the tub left and has gone a long way. The ballast was applied in the usual manner - i.e. applied dry and brushed into place, before being sprayed with 'wet-water' (water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid) and when soaked, diluted PVA (also using wet-water) is dribbled on and allowed to soak in. Everything looks as if it has snowed! Leave for at least 24 hours. The track had been painted before applying the ballast. Once dry, the ballast can be highlighted with black / brown acylics where the locos etc would stand.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

I've found a couple more photos to add. One photo shows the upper track, with open wagon at end of siding (this being scratchbuilt from plasticard) and the top of the off-loading ramp. The other photo shows the lower track and storage tank ( a resin kit, but can't remember who made it).

post-7854-127257183873_thumb.jpg

post-7854-127257185277_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I've found a couple more photos to add. One photo shows the upper track, with open wagon at end of siding (this being scratchbuilt from plasticard) and the top of the off-loading ramp. The other photo shows the lower track and storage tank ( a resin kit, but can't remember who made it).

Hi Mudders,

Some great photos there, from some unusual angles. Was there ever a published article?

Could the tank be a Smoky Bottom product?

Cheers,

Dave

HI Mudmagnet

where have you been hidding this one, love it .

fantastic bit of work you have done thier,love the run down look of it,just like most light railways.

Again top bit of work.

All the best

Darrren

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mudders,

Some great photos there, from some unusual angles. Was there ever a published article?

Could the tank be a Smoky Bottom product?

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments on the photos. These were taken outside in the garden and certainly produces better results than in doors with a flash. Flood lamps are OK though, but takes a little of thought to set up correctly. One of the draw-backs of outside photography is remembering to see what is behind the layout. I took several photos, without noticing what was behind, loaded them onto the computer, only to find things 'growing' out of the layout where I didn't want them!

Unfortunately, not published in any magazines. Still RMWeb is OK.

Yes, the tank is from Smoky Bottom. I have another one, unpainted, for a future project. Not sure if they are still avaliable.

• RMweb Gold

Wow - I wish I'd seen these photos before I took Wheal Tiny to the Captain's party - that's exactly the sort of look I was after. I hope you don't mind but I will be using these pics as a reference to tweak, improve and re-do WT.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

Thanks - glad to help inspire your modelling. There are plenty of details, that you can 'borrow' for WT - we all tend to 'borrow' ideas from everyone else, such is our nature.

It was good to see your layouts at SWAG last week - both enjoyable to study and enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi JackBlack

Sorry, I don't own the layout anymore and don't have pictures showing any 'behind-the-scenes'. I will have a look through my photos again and see if there is anything else showing other parts of the layout and will post here.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

• 3 years later...

Dear Mudmagnet,

How come I've only just clocked this smashing little layout?
It's fab, I have to say :)

I've pondered doing a GN-15 layout
But that 0-16.5 track looks fine....
Great stuff sir

Another must, for exhibitions, surely?

Cheers
Marc

• RMweb Gold

Hi Marc,

I was surprised to see this one pop up on the first page again!

I sold the layout a few years ago to someone I know, who has bought several narrow gauge layouts over the years and does still exhibit some of them form time to time.

I've been modelling 0-16.5 for years and have also built a couple of Gn15 layouts. The larger scale is great for adding the details and the figures / rolling stock available is very good.

My latest narrow gauge project is 0n9, but progress is quite slow. I will start a thread when I have much more to show.

I will be showing a couple of other 7mm narrow gauge layouts at Minehead tomorrow - one 0n9 and the other 0n14

Archived