The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Really good mate - was scrolling down thinking, how does this driver see where he's going then ... then the first one where the side window was clean, I though - ah! typical Liverpool loco .. window's been put through! :) hehe .. then I realised you'd cleaned it!

Bloody good as ever mate.  Well done.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Really good mate - was scrolling down thinking, how does this driver see where he's going then ... then the first one where the side window was clean, I though - ah! typical Liverpool loco .. window's been put through! :) hehe .. then I realised you'd cleaned it!

Bloody good as ever mate.  Well done.

Rich

Thanks Rich clean windows are first for me ;) always used masking tape until now then tried Maskol, great stuff!

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Nice work mate

After watching them operate crastor today I didn't realise that you had to release the brake before the loco would start moving ,is that with all the newer diesel sound files ?

Brian

Think it's just on Paul's but Biffo might of incorporated a brake now to on his decoders, could be wrong though mate.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Excellent Paul,

It was rather nerve racking watching that drop so close!!!!

Paul's sound is spot on, and the features make driving them so enjoyable.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty good job the brakes work ;)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Of course Paul, you do realise those couplings are wrong!!

Well, you decided on 7mm, and these sorts of things are sooooo much more noticeable.

Mike.

(Running for cover).

I might ban you Mike ;) what up with the couplings?

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I might ban you Mike ;) what up with the couplings?

Cheers

Oh heck, banned, but not by a moderator, must be a first!

Look at a bufferbeam pic of an 08, or indeed any BR loco, and the top link is made up of 2 side pieces with a bar through the drawhook. HJ do the right one in 4mm, can't understand why they can't manage it in the senile senior scale though.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Oh heck, banned, but not by a moderator, must be a first!

Look at a bufferbeam pic of an 08, or indeed any BR loco, and the top link is made up of 2 side pieces with a bar through the drawhook. HJ do the right one in 4mm, can't understand why they can't manage it in the senile senior scale though.

Mike.

Could be because it's Dapol ;)

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1

Look at a bufferbeam pic of an 08, or indeed any BR loco, and the top link is made up of 2 side pieces with a bar through the drawhook. 

Sort of, a bit like this.

5558933788_dd7a57f87f_z.jpg08585 by Steve Jones, on Flickr

HJ do the right one in 4mm, can't understand why they can't manage it in the senile senior scale though.

Mike.

Bachmann, Hornby & SLW  also do a representation of the RIV/UIC flat top link coupling and there's this 1:76.2 variation. :wink_mini:

post-508-0-05789400-1485775016_thumb.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Who's is the bottom one?, looks easier than struggling with the AG version, hoping it's not the Exactobloodyexpensivescale one.

Mike.

Ambis Hook

Exactoscale (Expensowail) bottom link. (But they sell packs of links only and note how they have not been bent equally)

Top links are spare bits off an Ambis screw coupling etch.

Couple of bits of hex bar, one threaded 16 BA and one drilled 16BA clearance and both cross drilled for the pivot pins.

16BA C'sunk setscrew.

Toggle bar drilled and filed up from some 0.9 mm brass rod.

A 0.5 mm lacemakers pin.

All in all, a bit of a mongrel knocked up by a bit of a mongrel.

P

Oh! Forgot to say the drawbar spring was wound from a bit of Eileen's phosphor bronze wire.

(Can I get back to doing your wheel calculations now?)

Oh!  (No. 2) This is the Ambis etch along with a coupling I'm knocking up for a Hornby 4 mm 08. It uses the Expensowail bottom link but utilises Hornbys representation of the centre section/toggle bar.

post-508-0-61532200-1485789158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looking good there, one thing that irritates me on almost all of the bogie sideframes is the springs actually looking like a plastic moulding rather than a "wound wire"......when I am back into a workshop and finally sorted our removal boxes out I am going to experiment with replacing those plastic "lumps" with wired "springs"....worth a try I reckon.

• RMweb Gold

Looking good there, one thing that irritates me on almost all of the bogie sideframes is the springs actually looking like a plastic moulding rather than a "wound wire"......when I am back into a workshop and finally sorted our removal boxes out I am going to experiment with replacing those plastic "lumps" with wired "springs"....worth a try I reckon.

Definitely and let me know how you get on!

Cheers

Excellent start Paul,

Thanks Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

May I ask whose rollers are they?

Morning Mopar, off the top of my head I'm not sure what make they are as a friend of mine lent them to me but I'll find out as soon as I'm home tonight mate.

Cheers