Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

Looks a lovely place to walk.

Cast iron gutter was only 6 foot long. Just need a few joints in it.

Thanks, Peter!  My legs are just about recovered!

As to the drain pipes and gutters, a search through the many poor quality photos I have does suggest they are cast iron pipes.

Now I find I don't have the right diameter down pipe material and I have examples of all the sizes in stock at the local hardware store.  Something else for the Telford list!

Paul

After a combination of damp humid days and vey windy days, we finally have stable weather in Languedoc.  So a day has been spent finishing the Connoisseur BR brake van and now everything that has been waiting on weather is lined up for the spray booth.  Jim McGeown says the brake van is a perfect project for a weekend.  It has taken me a lot longer, though there have been distractions along the way.  Even so I bet I have more than 24 man hours invested in this kit.

post-20733-0-79942300-1503335409_thumb.jpg

And now Dapol have introduced a RTR model (it's in the works)!

The red cast on the photo is because I have a red parasol protecting me and the work from the evening sun's rays.  It is currently a very pleasant 33ºC with low humidity.  And Halford's etch primer seems to like it!

Jim McGeown does a 1935 TOAD brake van which would be appropriate for Penmaenpool, so that is on my Telford list.  I should be able to take a lot less time building it after the 20 ton BR learning curve.

I'll show some photos of the primer coats later.

• Like 2

So here are the primed pieces:

First, two Sidelines bogies for one of the ex-LMS Porthole coaches.  The second set got me angry so they will have to wait until tomorrow by which time I might have finished their construction (soldering the brake blocks can be very frustrating):

post-20733-0-84172200-1503337781_thumb.jpg

Next the brake van (sans roof):

post-20733-0-29676800-1503337834_thumb.jpg

And finally a temporary construction with the roof on and posed away from the spray booth.  Still sunny, still hot and dry:

post-20733-0-77928600-1503337883_thumb.jpg

If this weather stays, then the bogies can be sprayed black tomorrow but sadly I don't have any paint for the brake van.  The good news is that those Slaters wheels won't be rusting.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Paul, love the BR brake. How are you intending fixing the roof?

Below is my part-painted NE Toad from Connoisseur. I wanted the roof to be well fixed but removable.

post-6675-0-73325100-1503351491_thumb.jpg

Minor mods to the return on one of the bodyside tops (6 cuts to make three gaps). Solder some tabs on the roof underside and it looks like this.

post-6675-0-84301100-1503351688_thumb.jpg

Engage tabs on the side with the unmodified return first, drop on to the modified side (tabs fall into the gaps).

post-6675-0-62020300-1503351824_thumb.jpg

Slide to the left, all tabs are clear of the gaps and the roof locks on. Works on loco cab roofs too.

The weather is starting to break - more humidity coming off the sea - so I have been busy spraying the two sets of coach bogies as well as re-doing the roof of the brake van.  I have now put the spray booth away and have started on a Plastikard construction of the water tower at Penmaenpool.

I am hoping the humidity will be chased away for tomorrow, but the only way it can disappear quickly is to be blown back out to sea and this means I can't spray anyway.

• RMweb Premium

The weather is starting to break - more humidity coming off the sea - so I have been busy spraying the two sets of coach bogies as well as re-doing the roof of the brake van.  I have now put the spray booth away and have started on a Plastikard construction of the water tower at Penmaenpool.

I am hoping the humidity will be chased away for tomorrow, but the only way it can disappear quickly is to be blown back out to sea and this means I can't spray anyway.

Hard life living by the sea! ;-p

Next quick project on the workbench is to fabricate the concrete supports for the water tank and also make a quick mockup of the tank itself.  The latter will eventually be scratchbuilt from brass sheet.

The supports are ready to be textured and painted:

post-20733-0-23300700-1503504909_thumb.jpg

The tank is hidden from view but I have put a photo up of the three piece assembly on the Penmaenpool topic.  There is also an explanation of what the water was used for (and not used for), based on photos, etc.

I plan to first prime the Plastikard supports and then scatter fine sand onto wet emulsion paint to create the concrete effect.  I will practice this first!  This will then be painted a "dirty concrete shade" with some rust stains streaking down from the tank above.

• Like 1

I plan to first prime the Plastikard supports and then scatter fine sand onto wet emulsion paint to create the concrete effect.  I will practice this first!  This will then be painted a "dirty concrete shade" with some rust stains streaking down from the tank above.

If that doesn't work you could try some textured exterior masonry paint such as Sandtex.  I wonder if they sell the little 'sampler' pots?

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

If that doesn't work you could try some textured exterior masonry paint such as Sandtex.  I wonder if they sell the little 'sampler' pots?

Ray.

Too coarse IMO, even for 7mm. A light coating of talc ads enough texture.

From my own experience I'd also avoid the Greenscene concrete texture pots. Again too coarse IMO.

Lots of good ideas, thank you all.  I might just go with a matt spray first and go from there.  While weathering the concrete I could easily add a little very fine sand or similar with the brush.  The supports have been primed and I also used some bauxite coloured spray (Peinture effet oxydé) on the mockup of the tank.

Photo in the morning!

Getting late here, Paul

As promised here is a progress report photo showing the three structures so far for Module 1:

post-20733-0-01347700-1503562747_thumb.jpg

I purposely over exposed the image to get more detail from the black areas.  This seems the best way to check for details for most people seem to agree that errors or flaws only show up in photos!

The shed gutters and downpipes will be completed later.

When I see this I get quite impatient about starting the baseboard for module 1.  However, I have to be sure the module size will fit inside a Peugeot 2008 with the rear seats down.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Nice work Paul. Good idea cracking on with the buildings, they eat so much time.

I've found to my own cost just what extra flaws cameras show up. Definitely worth taking photos - something I routinely do now.

The Latrine

I have one good photo of the side of the brick latrine, enough to work out the scale but some details are missing "on the other side". I also don't know if the latrine had one or two stalls or if there was an outdoor urinal so I have chosen just one door and no urinal - in the late 1950s I remember using "holes in the ground" when working at Stratford on Avon nursery, so it may well have been a similar setup.

The photo does allow counting of brick layers and the wooden privacy fencing gives a good indication of the height of the building.

So, Plastikard bricks, floor slabs and corrugated roof, boxwood fencing and doorway. The photos show what I have accomplished today, the roof and fence are not attached yet and there is no knob on the door. Also I need to make some brick capping for the privacy brick wall. But other than that and some paint and weathering and it should be finished soon.

post-20733-0-85334100-1503599164_thumb.jpg

post-20733-0-47668200-1503599211_thumb.jpg

I should add that the Plastikard walls are done the right way, a three layer sandwich!

Edited by Focalplane
  • Like 4

Very nice. I would of thought there would have been a window to allow a draught.

Thank you, Peter.

Yes, I agree about the lack of a window.  A small one on the back wall would do the trick.  This can be retro-fitted and perhaps I can source one at Telford next weekend.

Paul