Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

I have done some more work on painting the concrete supports for the eater tank.  Photos do suggest that the concrete is quite rough and I wanted to reproduce this.

After smoothing and priming the Plastikard structures (as seen in previous posts) I then mixed up a thick emulsion paint and applied it to each side of the supports.  While still wet I sprinkled some fine coal dust and then blotted the resulting texture with kitchen towel and let it dry.  This morning I took a Peco abrasive track cleaner and removed some of the larger coal pieces, producing this:

post-20733-0-51924700-1503731413_thumb.jpg

This is far as I will go for now, but when the scratch built tank is ready I will glue them together and then weather the supports.  I am sure some verdigris and rust will be needed under a water tank!

• Like 1

I am sure some verdigris and rust will be needed under a water tank!

Verdigris is unlikely unless it's a copper or brass tank! Plenty of algae likely though from leaks and spills.

Dave

Just a thought - would there be a need for a privacy wall if there was no urinal?

Ray.

As mentioned before I used a "hole in the ground", actually a ceramic downpipe leading to a soakaway, when I worked at Stratford's Council Nursery, located where the butterfly farm is now.  This also had a brick privacy wall!  So if I can't find a urinal, that may have to do!

It all depends on how desperate I become!

Paul

The workbench has been packed away while I am in the UK so not much activity to report.  Lots of ideas on Penmaenpool are spinning their web, not the least being the idea of sourcing modular baseboards.  It looks like the pressure on building baseboards is off since there is a longish lead time for many of the available designs. I am currently planning to return to France with the Telford goodies and then, after a few weeks, fly back to Brum and then drive back with some pre-ordered baseboards.  The thought of driving a UK registered car in France is a bit off putting because I know how Europeans (not just the French) love to mess around with British drivers.  So much better to be in an "F" car in the host country!  The opposite is also true, by the way, from experience some British drivers are obviously Francophobes.

There is a reason for flying back.  I have to make one paid flight a year with Air France to keep my air miles earned from working in Africa.  Once summer is over it is possible to pick up cheap flights from Paris to Birmingham.  I will take the train to Paris CDG which will also reduce the cost to keep the air miles.  I can't say I like flying any more, but air miles are air miles.

Edited by Focalplane

French drivers can also be very discourteous to each other. This is because most number plates have the two digit Department code on them, so it is easy to see where the owner most probably hails from. The two most disliked areas are Paris, 75 and 93. I used to work with several guys from Bordeaux who worked in Paris. They put stickers over the 75 which is, as the French would say, "not illegal." That way they could go home once in a while without fear of being run off the road.

• Like 1

My UK shopping trip will come to an end soon.  Looking at the stash I now realize there are a few more items that I didn't find at Telford, and I still have to decide on the module baseboards.  While in Porthmadog I forgot to buy several Humbrol Satin Black spray cans as I go through the stuff with remarkable alacrity (Gauge O does that!)

One sad note is that Parkwood Arts storage boxes will no longer be available after the end of September.  I will need two long boxes for unmade kits (Castle and Patriot) so they will have to be ordered very soon.  RTR locos usually come in excellent boxes, but kits generally do not.  David Andrews' boxes are the right shape but don't offer much protection.  Connoisseur and MOK have flat boxes that are of no use.  But I wouldn't expect any kit retailer to provide a decent storage box anyway, so not having Parkwood's products will be disappointing.  Their six coach box is excellent as well.

Dapol have been bending over backwards to help me with a replacement LED coach lighting strip.  On the Monday after Telford they mailed the correct Brake Third strip but it hasn't arrived yet.  Fingers crossed.  I stopped off at the shop/factory in Chirk on Thursday afternoon and picked up two wagon buffer springs that were missing in two boxes.  Friendly people!  So friendly I bought another van.  I now have enough vans and wagons for one pickup freight.

I have cancelled my order for a Heljan large Prairie as it really doesn't fit the Ruabon-Barmouth line.  If anyone needs a set of Severn Mills Plates for 4175, please PM me!  The Heljan 43XX mogul is still on order.

I have not made up my mind about the new Darstaed offerings of Mark 1 BR coaches.  Reasonably priced at £189.00 they apparently have some design flaws which should be corrected before final production commences.  They will not be for Penmaenpool, but could form part of the Midlander rake, releasing two ex-LMS "Portholes" for excursion trains from Chester and beyond.

Sooner or later I am going to have to start top coat spray painting of the Midlander coaches and my economy sized spray booth is simply too small.  I plan to build a larger one and incorporate the existing fan and filter system, adding a larger turntable (a.k.a. kitchen "lazy susan").  The booth will have to be hinged in order to fold away when not in use.

So there is lots to do!

• Like 4