Focalplane's Workbench (mostly 7mm)

Focalplane

Having a bit of a clear out at the moment and discovered I have some Peco Code 75 Electrofrog HO/OO points, namely one double slip (SL-E190), one curved right hand (SL-E186), one large right hand (SL-E188) and six (6) large left hand (SL-E189).  I can see no future use for them as Shipston-on-Stour has hand made points, so if anyone is interested, please PM me.  (Hint - I have in the past done some trading of my OO stuff for O gauge stuff.)

Paul

• Like 1

Difficult to decide where to post this, but baseboard kits have to be put together in the workshop, so here it is.

Today I ordered six 800 x 400 mm baseboard modules which will eventually form the western part of Penmaenpool.  I have also requested a custom design for along the estuary front edge.  Grainge & Hodder have the purchase order with delivery expected in the middle of October.  Except I will collect from their factory in Dudley.  In the meantime there will be plenty to do once back in France.

I have also ordered one DCC Concepts Cobalt S signal/point lever to see how it works and whether or not this is an appropriate way to mimic Penmaenpool signal box.  I have read all the blurb and it should suit my planned method of operation where the signalman runs the trains, train drivers have to obey the signals.

Paul,

I'm entirely in agreement about the separation of drivers & signalmen, with the track being permanently live (with the exception of a safety zone ahead of lifting hatches, etc.).

In anything other than a very simple layout, there is a need for interlocking. Traditional methods would imply the Scale Signal Supply lever frame (I think there's another similar one) which are lovely models in their own right, but expensive, and not trivial to build. There's also the Modratec frame http://modratec.com, which looks nice. I'm tending towards simple switches, and providing the interlocking using an Arduino (or several) but this will require some programming.

Does the DCC concepts setup allow programming of interlocking?

Best

Simon

I have been working on the potential signal box style control of Penmaenpool should the Cobalt S system work out well.  The S-R-S web site has a diagram from 1935 which is very useful except I can't read the lever numbers - is this an inducement to join the society, I wonder?  I probably should anyway after meeting two members at the Telford stand who were very helpful.

I have worked up this 1959 diagram using photos and ignoring the fixed distant signals.  This is what I have come up with:

post-20733-0-61020000-1505243488_thumb.jpg

I have no idea how to order the labelling of the 13 levers.  There are 5 points/turnouts, two trap points, five signals and 2 ground signals.  Do I go from left to right, or what.  Can anyone help?

The one gate level crossing which only covered half the right of way was, I believe, operated by hand, so no wheel in the cabin.  It would make sense to add another lever to the control panel for this.

• Like 2

Paul, The only hand operated gates which I know of are at Eggington Junction on the ( ex Old Knotty) Derby - Uttoxeter  line, (the junctions with the ex Great Northern Derby - Burton line disappeared under Beeching). Here  the gates are controlled by a small hut alongside an exposed three-lever ground frame, with locking devices in the A5132 roadway and between the tracks.  Other road crossings on this line are the automatic half-barrier type.

I have seen in the last two years on three occasions members of NR's Orange Army taking survey readings, but locals have been predicting the hand operation's demise for at least 20years!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

I do have to think this gate was not operated from the signal box.  However, it doesn't really matter how it was operated because that system probably cannot be replicated in model form.  Keep it Simple rule applies, so I assume it was hand operated!  The Benny Hill "ass of u and me" rule applies!

post-20733-0-95787300-1505247690.jpg

Paul,

In absence of more learned advice, or better data, I'd label the levers from left to right as the signalman would see them. Thus your point 2 would be (probably) 3, allowing for a distant (1, unless fixed) and Down home (2), which I understand to be off-scene. I'd assume an FPL (4), the two starters (5,6), TP1 (7), 4 (8), 1 (9), FPL (10), bracket signal (11, 12), 3 (13), FPL (14), TP2 (15) [i think 5 would not be in the Signal box frame], AdvStart (16), up Home (17), Distant (18).

You might try to chase down Mike, Stationmaster, who will be able to correct my musings.

Best

Simon

Thanks Simon, I am not sure if Mike is following this, he is certainly the most knowledgeable signal guy I know!

Your ideas are in concert with my guesswork, which is encouraging!  I know there were several spare levers in the box in 1935, including No. 5, 6, 7 and 19, 20 and 21 but I don't have to have more than 14 levers (they cost money!) so my control panel won't necessarily mimic the prototype.

Paul

As a general principle, the levers would be laid out so that the levers required for each direction of movement on the running lines would be grouped at each end of the box, with the set for each direction starting at the same end of the frame as the direction of approach of the trains. The miscellanea, ie the varios points and shunt signals would be laid out in the middle of the frame, but again grouped fairly logically as to which ones were used for the common movements. This is not just for the signalman's convenience but is a means of making the interlocking mechanically simpler as it keeps the tappet bars shorter.

By way of illustration, I found the diagram for Penmaenmawr on The Signal Box website - https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=1144 . Although it is an LNWR layout, whereas Penmaenpool is a Cambrian example, the general principles of interlocking and the laying out of lever frames would have been fairly common across the whole of the railway network as they are essentially determined by the same mechanical and operationsal considerations and it should be able to serve as a source of inspiration.

Jim

Talking of leverframes, I have just brought 3 sets of etches from the scale4society. There was a good write up about the frame in MRJ 225, and as a set of 5 levers costs £19 I thought I'd give them a go.

The frames have a mounting to house micro switches if required, the fret also has little numbered discs going up to 50 in case you need that many. The frames are in nickel silver and should be fairly sturdy being 18 thou thickness. I have too much on the go at present to build them, but when I do I will put a thread up on Rmweb.

post-7101-0-72848900-1505253775_thumb.jpg

Martyn.

• Like 4

Talking of leverframes, I have just brought 3 sets of etches from the scale4society. There was a good write up about the frame in MRJ 225, and as a set of 5 levers costs £19 I thought I'd give them a go.

The frames have a mounting to house micro switches if required, the fret also has little numbered discs going up to 50 in case you need that many. The frames are in nickel silver and should be fairly sturdy being 18 thou thickness. I have too much on the go at present to build them, but when I do I will put a thread up on Rmweb.

attachicon.gifIMG_0850.JPG

Martyn.

Hi Martin

I like the look of those levers. IIRC someone has made some on here before with a brief review, but I cannot recall who?

Also used here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70077-signals-for-glenmutchkin/ and here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/186/entry-6813-fun-with-servo-based-interlocked-lever-frame/

Regards, Deano.

Hi Martin

I like the look of those levers. IIRC someone has made some on here before with a brief review, but I cannot recall who?

Also used here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70077-signals-for-glenmutchkin/ and here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/186/entry-6813-fun-with-servo-based-interlocked-lever-frame/

Regards, Deano.

Hi Deano,

Thanks for the link, and lots of info on interlocking, I personally will not be going down that route for two reasons. One, life's too short, and two, I'm not a morning person and feeling a bit delicate and reading all that info has made me a nervous wreck for the next couple of hours : )

All the best,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

One more thing to add to the mix. I read somewhere that the lever frame at Penmaenpool was in a non standard position, the bobby had his back to the line. Would this affect the distribution of levers?

Just a quick comment, I get back later to discuss your several contributions.

Thanks, Paul

Good morning Paul, I am also going along the lines of the Cobalt S levers, gradually building up my stock of them as I go along, Hattons are doing  6 of them for £90 & 12 of them for £165 (IIRC), I plan to set mine up as a signal box layout attached to the layout along with the other control gear in the same area, there will be some sort of electrical interlocking once I get my brain around it, but as Martyn - 3 link says, sometimes life is too short to get too bogged with all that wizardry.

I look forward to seeing how you get on .... I am holding my breath along with Simon, 

Yours turning blue

Craig.

• Like 1

One more thing to add to the mix. I read somewhere that the lever frame at Penmaenpool was in a non standard position, the bobby had his back to the line. Would this affect the distribution of levers?

If you refer to the layout diagram in my post #491 above, it shows the frame at the back of the box as you describe. Lever numbering is also available by following the 'Lever leads' link on the SRS page linked to in my post. Essentially, numbering is from left to right as the signalman faces the frame. As the 'Up' direction is left to right as the diagram is drawn, numbering starts with No.1, the Up Main Home. At the right hand end of the frame, No.25 is the Down Main Home. There are no worked distants and presumably never were as lever 1 is not a spare and 26 is not fitted!

Dave