Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New Lenz LH101 Handset, CV Editor 1.2.0

• RMweb Gold

Lenz have announced a new handset to be available next year called the LH101. Summary on the AH Models website here -

http://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/21101-lh101-hand-controller-46096-p.asp

Also full spec available on the Lenz website but only in German (click on "produktflyer") -

http://www.lenz-elektronik.de/digitalplus-handregler-lh101.php

There's also a new version of the CV Editor 1.2.0 that replaces 1.1.7.  I can't easily see what's different mainly because once again the documentation is only in German! There are no new firmware levels for their decoders as far as I can see. It's downloadable from here -

http://www.lenz-elektronik.de/download.php

At last !

Only 9 years after Lenz announced they were intending to work on a new handset to replace the LH90 and LH100.

It'll be 10 years, by the time it's released next year.

Looking at the graphics showing the look of the new handset's design and display, it makes me wonder what they've been doing all that time.

It looks positively "out of the ark".

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Hi

Will it actually happen though?

I am still waiting for the upgrade to V4.0 firmware for my LVZ100 (effectively making it a LVZ200) which was announce in 2010.

Cheers

Paul

Yep maybe V4.0 will eventually arrive. Last I heard was that Lenz and Roco were in a dispute over Railcom ? I think, or it's implementation.  As for the new LH101, ahem I'll stick with my LH100 for now thanks.............

Edited by tractor_37260

V4 firmware is/was supposed to be undergoing testing on larger layouts so hopefully might be out next year too... The handset doesn't look that exciting, but it all depends on the software and the interface. You can tell some thought has gone into this compared to the LH100, just have to see whether or not it's enough.

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled upon this thread now. Very disappointing looking cab.  Stale looking ergonomics that ignores DCC sound on the assumption quick access to only 10 functions will do in 2017!!!  No hi-res colour display - positively out of the ark - Jurassic.  It seems innovation has bypassed DCC.  At least ESU are making an attempt to put a veneer of a modern user interface upon ageing DCC, which is really based on early 1980s electronics rather that 'smartphone' electronics.  DCC needs a second generation re-invention but not holding my breath for any change.

Edited by NoelG

Just stumbled upon this thread now. Very disappointing looking cab.  Stale looking ergonomics that ignores DCC sound on the assumption quick access to only 10 functions will do in 2017!!!  No hi-res colour display - positively out of the ark - Jurassic.  It seems innovation has bypassed DCC.  At least ESU are making an attempt to put a veneer of a modern user interface upon ageing DCC, which is really based on early 1980s electronics rather that 'smartphone' electronics.  DCC needs a second generation re-invention but not holding my breath for any change.

Each to his own of course.

My Lenz systems work well, are very reliable and easy to use.  The new controller is eagerly awaited by many and will sell well. I like the LH200 but access to functions is not easy. So the new LH101 controller is what I want.

Norman

I can understand the "positively out of the ark" sentiments, particularly if one is used to modern equipment chock full of play-worthiness. But for guys who want something that reliably controls DCC sound-fitted locomotives and makes altering CV's a simple process, the new controller with a knob is probably the business. It only stacks 8 immediately accessible addresses though. I use my LH90 for control and LH100 for altering CV's, so maybe the new LH101 is a combination of both.....?  It seems ages since I used mine with having no layout.

Edited by coachmann

Interesting.  These is no doubting the quality of lenz electronics.  

Do folk prefer using the rotary knob for throttle OR +/-1 +/-4 speed step buttons?

NCE also seem to be stuck in the dark ages with no notable innovations in recent years, but at least their dog bone cab makes DCC setup easy.  Some woefully inconsistent software UI though (eg you can't change functions while looking at EXPN function status).  Also its 2017 and you think they would have a colour display with some of ESU's new UI ideas.nce-pcab-handset-w.jpg

Edited by NoelG

I'm waiting to see what the Lenz is like to use.I thought the LH100 with the firmware 3.6 was surprisingly good and a lot easier to use, even if the hardware needed updating. I did some investigation last year of handset systems last year (I was worried about the long term future for my LH100 etc) and ended up finding a cheap Uhlenbrock Daisy II on eBay. It's not perfect (the highest functions can't be toggled), but the ergonomics and usability are very good indeed and probably better than anything else other than perhaps the new Piko handset. If the LH101 gets close to the Daisy II then it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Having said that, I do think Lenz could have gone a little further and the ability to assign icons to functions so you know what you are triggering is becoming a necessity I think.

I'm waiting to see what the Lenz is like to use.I thought the LH100 with the firmware 3.6 was surprisingly good and a lot easier to use, even if the hardware needed updating. I did some investigation last year of handset systems last year (I was worried about the long term future for my LH100 etc) and ended up finding a cheap Uhlenbrock Daisy II on eBay. It's not perfect (the highest functions can't be toggled), but the ergonomics and usability are very good indeed and probably better than anything else other than perhaps the new Piko handset. If the LH101 gets close to the Daisy II then it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Having said that, I do think Lenz could have gone a little further and the ability to assign icons to functions so you know what you are triggering is becoming a necessity I think.

With the growth in use of sound decoders perhaps function buttons should be touch screen icons with labels indicating their function rather than physical buttons, but throttle remain physical buttons or knobs for tactile feedback which touchscreen doesn't give.  Also physical throttle control allows one handed use without looking at the cab.  One of the things I don't like about smartphone throttle apps is its difficult to control throttle without looking at the phones user interface.

• 2 weeks later...

A brief view of the LH101 in action, can be seen in this video from the Nuremberg Toy Fair, taking place this week.

It's all in German, but the LH101 is briefly seen 3 mins into the video.

I suggest you skip forward to 3 mins, unless you can understand the interview.

• RMweb Gold

I asked Chris of A and H Models (Lenz distributor) if he had any knowledge of the LZV200 delivery times.  This was his response -

"I am sorry I am totally in the dark on this at present - The Toy Fair is in February and hopefully there will be an update - the development of the New LH101 handset suggests to me that this could open some of the described features on the LZV200 - this is speculation, but I still think that the RailCom question is still haunting  LZV200 development - I would like to see an agreed standard for RailCom between all the companies that are using versions of it.

I will post what I can when I have something more concrete - I wish companies would keep development work under their hat until it reaches a point that it is viable.  I have a multitude of products on order for the shop that are years late - we cannot run on thin air!"

So we all remain in the dark ....

• 1 year later...

I have just taken ownership of one of the new long awaited LH101 hand controllers form A&H Models, of which I can say I am well impressed. Also thanks to Chris at A&H Models for taking time out to provide a video that gives some insight on how to use LH101, as there is no English translation to manual at this time.

The features most appealing to me are the linear speed control knob, the illuminated display and the option to connect wirelessly. I had been considering a Roco Z21. The LH101 is compact compared to the LH100 and feels robust with positive button operation. It comes with a flexible coiled cable and a 100 page instruction manual (German), which points to a very comprehensive handset.

My LH100s have done sterling work over the years and have been 100% reliable but are becoming somewhat tired as the buttons on one them fails to work without pressing them hard.

I now look forward to the new command station LZV200 to complete the circle

Well done Lenz 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

What does this connect wirelessly to please?

It's a new system under development by Lenz.  Basically you have a 23210 radio base unit connected to Xpressnet via cable, and a wireless 23220 "belt-pack" sender into which you can plug your Lenz handset - LH100, LH101 etc. 

See details on AH website here - https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/lenz-control-and-transformers-183-c.asp

Edited by RFS

Thansk for this info, shows an interesting future for the Lenz lineup though why they are limiting the radio comms to the new handsets isn't clear - surely if the new handset can connect using the additional interface surely the old handsets which are using the same Xpressnet protocol should be able to connect similarly?

Somewhat disappointing though to see that they only seem to be offering a USB connection for computer access, rather backward in todays connected world, especially as they already have the 23151 in the range which they could have incorporated - or are they looking to get more revenue by not including the way that most people connect these days forcing them to purchase another bit of kit ;)

• RMweb Gold

There's actually a separate topic specifically for this new item - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/119501-lenz-finally-gets-wireless-for-its-handsets/

I would have thought the LH100 would work as well and perhaps it is just the illustration that doesn't show it. 

The LZV200 only has USB connection, and when I asked Lenz why they said that if you needed LAN connection then to use the 23151. I already have one of these connected directly via LAN to the PC and I will see if the LZV200 USB interface is OK.  Otherwise I don't see any need for wireless. 

• RMweb Gold

It's a new system under development by Lenz.  Basically you have a 23210 radio base unit connected to Xpressnet via cable, and a wireless 23220 "belt-pack" sender into which you can plug your Lenz handset - LH100, LH101 etc. 

See details on AH website here - https://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/lenz-control-and-transformers-183-c.asp

As you say, it's under development. That is to say it's not available yet, more's the pity.

Hadn't seen the other thread ;)

As I sugegsted in my post, and you agree with, users wanting a LAN connection will need to purcahse a 23151 - which isn't cheap, around £150 these days, and that only gets you a wired LAN not Wifi which given the paltry cost of LAN/WiFi chipsets these days is a sad omission that effectively adds a significant amount to the costs of the new command station for many users.

The same is true for the Wireless option on the handsets, this modular approach isn't aligned with the cheap supply of the components that would provide the function natively without the need to add more kit.

My worry would be that Lenz is making the barrier too high for people to enter using Lenz kit, admittedly good kit but at entry level there won't be a viable option to compete with other entry level that offers the functionality that many people look for these days.

I have just taken ownership of one of the new long awaited LH101 hand controllers form A&H Models, of which I can say I am well impressed. Also thanks to Chris at A&H Models for taking time out to provide a video that gives some insight on how to use LH101, as there is no English translation to manual at this time.

The features most appealing to me are the linear speed control knob, the illuminated display and the option to connect wirelessly. I had been considering a Roco Z21. The LH101 is compact compared to the LH100 and feels robust with positive button operation. It comes with a flexible coiled cable and a 100 page instruction manual (German), which points to a very comprehensive handset.

My LH100s have done sterling work over the years and have been 100% reliable but are becoming somewhat tired as the buttons on one them fails to work without pressing them hard.

I now look forward to the new command station LZV200 to complete the circle

Well done Lenz

Lazy buttons on a LH100 I found can be solved by removing the screws and splitting the unit, then cleaning the pressure pads and the contact board below with IPA wipes and then reassembling it. Usually works perfect.