The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I am surprised.

34theletterbetweenB&D

My dear wife found a very aged and unopened tub of natural yogurt at the back of the office fridge. She brought it home, as the office expert on these matters told her it is very effective to speed the ageing of stone or concrete surfaces, and we have a birdbath the column of which looks rather raw and new, despite twenty some years outside. Instructions were given to the household minion, and I duly applied the entire quart to the surface yesterday. Since there was quite a lot of the (clearly very natural and alive) yogurt it made an impressively thick coat on the column, 4 or 5mm deep I should guess.

Now, I have just trotted in from the garden, having talked to the greenhouse, checked the gate fleecing, locked the delicate plants, yada, yada, yada; and while all this was underway realised that there was a not a smidge of yogurt to be seen on the birdbath column, that I so lovingly smeared but the day previous. Had something licked it all off? I lifted the bowl off the column as I had smeared the top of the column too, all gone there too, despite being inaccessible to any passing licker.  On feeling the surfaces where the yogurt had been applied they are all interestingly waxy...

So who knew that? Concrete eats yogurt.

Of course, if you put yoghurt in the freezer, you eventually get concrete yoghurt. But that's not important right now.

And it's healthy for humans to put inside their bodies? :O

Don't worry, if the stuff I regularly consume is anything to go by, it exits the body pretty quickly as well....

.... so my wife can admire the granite. She likes granite.

Send her to Aberdeen for a holiday. There's plenty of it there.

• RMweb Gold

the office expert on these matters told her it is very effective to speed the ageing of stone or concrete surfaces

It will encourage moss and algae to grow.

There's one better than that though, about 20 years ago the bricklayer and I took great delight in flinging cow sh1t at a stone wall we'd built to age it, all the better as some missed and the customer was not one of our favourites.....I'm still waiting for the cheque to clear....

Archived