Hornby 3 for 2 sale

black and decker boy

Interestingly this is exactly what Hornby try to stress that they would 'walk-away' from, or at least the heavy promotion of such sales incentives. I understand that retailers will be offered a similar price inducement to order a few models in the run-up to Christmas.  I would hope that Hornby are true to their words and do not have a Sale Incentive virtually every month or even Quarter. Otherwise Hornby will be acting like a well-known curtain/bedding outlet who had one SALE follow the previous one - where are they now (I will leave you to guess).

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly this is exactly what Hornby try to stress that they would 'walk-away' from, or at least the heavy promotion of such sales incentives. I understand that retailers will be offered a similar price inducement to order a few models in the run-up to Christmas.  I would hope that Hornby are true to their words and do not have a Sale Incentive virtually every month or even Quarter. Otherwise Hornby will be acting like a well-known curtain/bedding outlet who had one SALE follow the previous one - where are they now (I will leave you to guess).

This is a one-day offer via their "Advent Calendar" and is obviously designed to shift those models that arnt shifting by other means - as mentioned in their financial statements. 

This is a one-day offer via their "Advent Calendar" and is obviously designed to shift those models that arnt shifting by other means - as mentioned in their financial statements. 

Not quite correct. The Advent Calendar deal for today is the S&DJR 0-6-0T.

The 3 for 2 is advertised as running up until 18th December.

Guest 40-something

The prices Hornby are offering are full RRP, significantly more expensive than most outlets.  Its a way for them to clear stocks of low selling items.  These may have been offered to retailers who may have turned the extra stocks down due to them being slow sellers

Give Hornby a chance, they have said they will change, but it wont happen overnight

If you bought three class 71s from Hornby they would cost £113.32 each compared with the recommended retail price of £169.99. Hattons are selling them for £127.50 each which is 75% of the recommended retail price.

I wonder how long it will be before Hattons are selling them for £113.32 as bargains.

Models of electric locomotives do not tend to sell well but if you keep them for fifty years they are likely to appreciate in value more than other locomotives.

"Models of electric locomotives do not tend to sell well but if you keep them for fifty years they are likely to appreciate in value more than other locomotives."

I cannot follow the logic in that statement at all!    Not that l anticipate being around in 50 years time to disprove it! :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

"Models of electric locomotives do not tend to sell well but if you keep them for fifty years they are likely to appreciate in value more than other locomotives."

I cannot follow the logic in that statement at all!    Not that l anticipate being around in 50 years time to disprove it! :scratchhead:

Nice thought though.....

• RMweb Gold

If you bought three class 71s from Hornby they would cost £113.32 each compared with the recommended retail price of £169.99. Hattons are selling them for £127.50 each which is 75% of the recommended retail price.

I wonder how long it will be before Hattons are selling them for £113.32 as bargains.

Models of electric locomotives do not tend to sell well but if you keep them for fifty years they are likely to appreciate in value more than other locomotives.

I just bought a brand new one off a well known retailer, via ebay for <£80 and have seen several recently listed in a slowly declining price.

"Models of electric locomotives do not tend to sell well but if you keep them for fifty years they are likely to appreciate in value more than other locomotives."

I cannot follow the logic in that statement at all! Not that l anticipate being around in 50 years time to disprove it! :scratchhead:

If compared to an over 50 year old mint condition trix clas 81, then there might be a point..

The EM1 is closing on 60 years ... I suspect both are worth more than 79/6d, especially as a Britannia at 89/6d really hasn't held its value in the same way. (September 1965 prices quoted).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28088#p432112

:-)

• RMweb Gold

The 3 for 2 promotion is an interesting one. Personally I've already purchased what I want from Hornby through pre-orders from my local model shop, along with others I'm guessing so it doesn't interest me. Also as mentioned above the are at rrp so not really a bargain at all!

The Hornby class 71 are very good models. In the 1960s I can remember them hauling the Golden Arrow and the Night Ferry. If Hornby had produced one with the Golden Arrow insignia I would probably have bought one.

My main problem is lack of storage space. Over the years I have accumulated a huge amount of locomotives and rolling stock because I liked them and now they are very difficult to dispose of at more than a rock bottom price. Now I try to be more selective and the class 71 does not fit in with a Southern steam branch line. This applies equally to the Merchant Navy but at least I do not need to install a third rail to provide a realistic setting for the Bulleid Pacific. I expect many other people are in the same position.

In Meccano Hornby days Hornby and later Hornby-Dublo used to take old Hornby locomotives in part exchange for new ones. To avoid flooding the market Hornby used to throw away the old locomotives so that there was a shortage of second hand locomotives and people had to buy new ones. Now the market seems saturated with second hand model railways that are often available at a fraction of the cost of new model railways

Guest 40-something

Models of electric locomotives do not tend to sell well but if you keep them for fifty years they are likely to appreciate in value more than other locomotives.

Bought one today for less than £100 brand new....

Archived