Having been following the debate of how pit props are transported I bought the attached photo last weekend showing how different types of wood are loaded into wagons. This is taken at Wooferton Junct and as there is no brake van or loco in site there must be some shunting happening. Interesting stock.post-20690-0-13755500-1489764432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 8

Nothing else has been done to this, except for cutting a hole in the right hand end backscene. This will allow a fiddle yard to be fitted that that end and the assumption is that there is more industry further up the valley - a coking plant perhaps, or an iron works. Something to allow a greater variety of wagons and traffic. I have also playing with it and practising stopping the trains in exactly the right spots for the uncouplers to work.

I have also worked out a sequence of operations.

1) Single van from colliery to exch. sdgs.

2) Paddy train from exch. sdgs. to colliery and return.

3) 2xGWR Loco Coal wagons from colliery to exch. sdgs.

4) 5x empty PO wagons (SET 1) from exch. sdgs. to colliery.

5) 3x PO wagons, loaded with pit props to siding.

6) 5x loaded PO wagons (SET 2) from colliery to exch. sdgs.

7) Single gunpowder van from exch. sdgs. to siding, pick up wagons loaded with pit props and take all to colliery.

8) 2x GWR Loco Coal wagons from exch. sdgs. to siding.

9) 3x loaded PO wagons from colliery to exch. sdgs.

10) Single van from exch. sdgs. to siding. Collect GWR Loco Coal wagons and take all to colliery.

11) Gunpowder van and 5x PO wagons (SET1) from colliery to exch. sdgs.

12) Paddy Train from exch. Sdgs. to colliery and return.

13) 5x empty PO wagons (SET2) from exch. sdgs. to colliery.

If I've got that right it should put everything back where it started from to begin again next time.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I posted anything about this but progress has been made toward completion. I managed to get to South Wales, to the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway, and take some shots to make up a better backscene.

The one that I had made from interweb photos didn't look too bad in itself but it was printed on my PC and then the A4 sheets cut and joined up. This was fine for about a week but the sheets started to distort and gaps appeared between each sheet. This time I am having it professionally printed onto a roll to prevent a repeat of this. Once the new backscene is stuck to the board, the board can be permanently fixed to the baseboards and the ends fixed with panel pins and glue (presently they are only clamped on).

One other problem has shown up since fitting the fiddle yard and having it all set up for weeks now - the lower track was given sliding track joiners and has stayed in alignment but the upper track did not have these and has shifted so that the track does not line up at all now and nothing can be run. This may have something to do with the upper track being built on thick card and not simply the lack of joiners. I may have to rebuild the fiddle yard...

• Like 2

It's been a while since I posted anything about this but progress has been made toward completion. I managed to get to South Wales, to the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway, and take some shots to make up a better backscene.

The one that I had made from interweb photos didn't look too bad in itself but it was printed on my PC and then the A4 sheets cut and joined up. This was fine for about a week but the sheets started to distort and gaps appeared between each sheet. This time I am having it professionally printed onto a roll to prevent a repeat of this. Once the new backscene is stuck to the board, the board can be permanently fixed to the baseboards and the ends fixed with panel pins and glue (presently they are only clamped on).

One other problem has shown up since fitting the fiddle yard and having it all set up for weeks now - the lower track was given sliding track joiners and has stayed in alignment but the upper track did not have these and has shifted so that the track does not line up at all now and nothing can be run. This may have something to do with the upper track being built on thick card and not simply the lack of joiners. I may have to rebuild the fiddle yard...

If you do not mind the fact that it is a modern scene, someone used to market a back scene based on Tredegar, taken from the old railway line which is now a trough-pass. Though I cannot find it when I did a quick search tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

The backscene is done and in place. I took photos at the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway and made them up into a backscene using Photoshop. The image file was sent to Art Printers Ltd. who printed it it out for £9 inc P&P, which is a very reasonable sum.

I have made some rough legs on which to stand the layout and with the alteration of the pipe bridge, which didn't look right ending flat on the backscene, that's it and I'm calling this one finished.

Wow!  I am really envious.  What a great job, you should be very proud.

Edited by steveNCB7754
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The back scene is stunning, would it be possible to buy a copy?

Cheer's, Pete. 

Hi Pete. It would depend on whether or not the printers have retained the digital copy on file.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just revisiting this thread as I have just dismantled my son's roundy roundy, he gets bored of watching things chase their tales and much prefers shunting so contemplating making a nice little shelf layout for him. Might just have to pinch your trackplan Dave.

• Like 1

Just revisiting this thread as I have just dismantled my son's roundy roundy, he gets bored of watching things chase their tales and much prefers shunting so contemplating making a nice little shelf layout for him. Might just have to pinch your trackplan Dave.

Very nice - just needs a way to simulate the penetrating Welsh in-your-face rain?

Stu

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just want to echo the comment above. Quick flick through RM highlighted this fantastic model. Particularly impressed with the PO wagons... might have finally given me an idea I could see through.

Excellent!

Splendid weathering, Dave. Ex-Dodo looks superb.

Despite living here all my life I have little or no knowledge of the South Wales collieries. However,no doubt like many her, the arrival of a Peckett at my door has got me thinking. However, I will be looking to Somerset for my location

Outside your period but I thought I would post these images taken in South Wales. I hope you don't mind.

Rob.

Makes me homesick!

I had not found this topic but after reading the article in the RM have now tracked it down. All I can say is wow!! What an absolutely stunning model. The buildings, setting, stock and overall scene just come together wonderfully. The coloursand weathering are superb and paint a fantastic overall picture, so subtly blended.

Without doubt the best layout I have seen in the modelling press this year. I have revelled in the article and catching up on here.

Congratulations Dave on getting it in the RM and, once again, I am awestruck on the modelling talent and ability on show.

David

• 2 months later...

This layout hasn't been run for about a year now. It's on a shelf under my 7mm layout, in the shed. I don't have anywhere to easily set it up, so I'm giving serious consideration to selling it. If anyone is interested in buying it please send a PM with your offer.

• 1 month later...

This is definitely for sale, just in case anyone's interested. I had a couple of people enquire about it during and after Wakefield exhibiton. I've also had a few enquiries on here but they have all been timewasters. I ask for offers but they all just ask how much I want for it, so I give a price and they either don't reply at all, or they say that it's too much and that's it. The art of haggling would appear to be dead. There was also the guy on Facebook who clearly wanted it only to be able to sell it on at a profit but the less said about him the better.

So, to save anyone else asking how much I want, and because no one seems to know how to haggle anymore, here is the rock bottom, no haggle price - £350. That gets you the layout and the control box for the points and uncouplers. All the stock and the Gaugemaster controller stays with me. If you do want some of the stock then this may be for sale seperately. The buyer must collect from near Wakefield, West Yorkshire and as the largest baseboard section is 5ft. long, you'll need transport that will take that.

I don't think that £350 is an unreasonable price as the cost of the baseboards, track, points, point motors, uncouplers, electrical switches, scenics etc. isn't far off a couple of hundred if someone were to build it themselves. But for someone who wants a small industrial layout and doesn't have the time to build one themselves, they could do worse than buy this.

Edited by Ruston