RMweb

57xx

• RMweb Premium

It might be the German's win at all cost attitude that gets up people's noses.

Including a disagreeable arrogance and a penchant for shifting responsibility onto others for every misfortune, even those which are self inflicted. Even while driving a car seemingly immune from penalty.

• RMweb Gold

It appears that certain teams would have trouble running a bath. We watched the race live in our hotel room in the Harz mountains. Leaning out of the window I can see smoke rising from the 2-10-2 loco about to set off for the Brocken. We are hoping to sample another line today. It is, of course, raining.

Don't worry the weather will be different at the top - probably thick fog ;)  But it's a great ride.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Spark plug problem is the official report.

Not that I don't believe the official report in this case, but your comment does remind me of the days when Alfa Romeo were running their own cars in F1 (1970s and 1980s) and their engines had an unconquerable tendency to blow up.  At one race Andrea de Cesaris (or "de Crasheris" as he was sometimes known - or simply "the mobile chicane" to James Hunt) retired and the official reason given was an oil leak.  Autosport reported one pit lane wag as remarking: "Yes, you can see it leaking - out of that big hole in the engine block."

Edited by ejstubbs

Including a disagreeable arrogance and a penchant for shifting responsibility onto others for every misfortune, even those which are self inflicted. Even while driving a car seemingly immune from penalty.

That sounds very much like a certain Mercedes driver to me. I think all the best drivers are pretty much the same, it's part of the competitive streak that it takes to get to the top.

That sounds very much like a certain Mercedes driver to me. I think all the best drivers are pretty much the same, it's part of the competitive streak that it takes to get to the top.

There is being competitive then there is OTT. Vettel is the latter.

He has a habit of blaming whoever he crashes into. Ferrari blamed Verstappen in SIngapore. Brundle's description of 'being caught in a Ferrari sandwich' was spot on.

He blamed Stroll after Sepang. Footage from both cars proved Vettel was 100% to blame.

He consistently ignored team orders at Red Bull. 'Multi 21' being the best remembered incident.

Has anyone remembered the bad luck Hamilton had at the beginning of the season? Admittedly no DNFs but he did have a couple of grid penalties.

Another point: are Ferrari's latest reliability issues the result of pushing components & development too hard? If Suzuka's issue really was a spark plug then that is plain bad luck, but Sepang's issues for both were apparently a carbon fibre component in the turbo. This sounds to me like they were pushing too hard for performance. It is always a gamble. Push too hard & suffer failures or don't push hard enough & you're simply not quick enough. If this was the case then it is not bad luck, it is simply the nature of motorsport.

By German cars, I assume you mean the ones built in Brackley, Northamptonshire?

& the 'Austrian' cars in 2nd & 3rd are built in Milton Keynes. I think that may be in England too.

Thanks for being more precise about the result, though

Benzes are Benzes the World over (except in Brackley, Little England)

Edited by runs as required

It appears that certain teams would have trouble running a bath. We watched the race live in our hotel room in the Harz mountains. Leaning out of the window I can see smoke rising from the 2-10-2 loco about to set off for the Brocken. We are hoping to sample another line today. It is, of course, raining.

Ian, you are LJK Setright and I claim my five pounds first prize...  ;) 

• RMweb Gold

Ian, you are LJK Setright and I claim my five pounds first prize...  ;)

Gosh.  LJK Setright.  There's a blast from the past.

Edited by 4630
  • Like 2

Gosh.  LJK Setright.  There's a blast from the past.

I met him once at the Opel Record D press launch. He was the only journalist who showed any real understanding of car design, unlike the tw*t from Country Life who was only interested in how many G&T's he could consume at the free bar..

• Like 3

Most excellent steam weather then? The 2-10-2 (or more strictly there a 151) would have probably beaten Vettel off the grid today.....

Not that I don't believe the official report in this case, but your comment does remind me of the days when Alfa Romeo were running their own cars in F1 (1970s and 1980s) and their engines had an unconquerable tendency to blow up.  At one race Andrea de Cesaris (or "de Crasheris" as he was sometimes known - or simply "the mobile chicane" to James Hunt) retired and the official reason given was an oil leak.  Autosport reported one pit lane wag as remarking: "Yes, you can see it leaking - out of that big hole in the engine block."

There was a similar period when the 'Red Team' were suffering 'electrical issues' in a number of races. In one race though, a car retired with big clouds of smoke billowing from the engine compartment. One reporter asked a Ferrari representative if this was an 'electrical issue'.

"Yes," replied the rep without a hint of sarcasm. "The crankshaft broke and knocked the distributor cap off..."

So now Lewis can afford to finish behind both Ferraris and both Red Bulls at all the remaining races and still win the Championship....

Edit - it's been pointed out to me that this is incorrect as this Vettel could potentially score 60 more points than Lewis in this situation  and win by one point!

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another point: are Ferrari's latest reliability issues the result of pushing components & development too hard? If Suzuka's issue really was a spark plug then that is plain bad luck, but Sepang's issues for both were apparently a carbon fibre component in the turbo. This sounds to me like they were pushing too hard for performance. It is always a gamble. Push too hard & suffer failures or don't push hard enough & you're simply not quick enough. If this was the case then it is not bad luck, it is simply the nature of motorsport.

My own reading of it is that Ferrari have been dead set on fitting used spares in order to avoid taking grid penalties for fitting new ones. This hasn't always gone well, and has affected results for both their drivers. 

Given the way Vettel seems able to carve through the field from the back of the grid when he has a car that doesn't die under him, someone may be getting their sums wrong.

A couple of seconds in place of DNFs would have kept the gap at a (just) manageable size but, even if Ferrari change tack now, it's really too late to recover their fortunes unless Hamilton suffers a corresponding reversal in his.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

...Given the way Vettel seems able to carve through the field from the back of the grid when he has a car that doesn't die under him, someone may be getting their sums wrong...

You mean the old and simple rule of 'always field your best possible machine', and trust the driver to make the most of it.

Vettel must be worried by now. He's got the seat in what is - when working properly - probably the best car this season, and the old magic ain't happening. That's because he's up against the only currently racing F1 competitor to win the F1 championship in a car that wasn't the constructor championship (i.e. best) car: something Vettel hasn't shown any sign of being capable of. And he's got two potent younger competitors; either of whom in a good three-way team fight season could end up F1 champion, in a car not quite up to the Ferrari.

If Ferrari are doing the sums correctly, then they know that Hammy only has to finish from here on in to secure the championship. So it's over, and best to concentrate on development for next year already, because the competition is looking very hot indeed. I'd not bet against one of the RB drivers pulling it off in 2018.

• Like 1