The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

• RMweb Gold

As it's almost a day into 2017 and we have no thread yet, I thought I'd kick things off.

A new year and new rules coming in. Will Mercedes still be ahead or can the other teams take advantage of the changes and catch up or even leap frog last year's champions?

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would be good for all if the others caught up a smidgen. And a new Merc driver, with the change in team dynamic that introduces, will make Merc less comfortable in the early races. All Italy is frustrated by Ferrari's ineptitude year after year, so an awful lot of midnight oil is being burnt there. Red Bull surprised everyone in 2016, and may well be the main challenger again. Cash-strapped Williams seem resigned to losing Bottas, may be re-engaging Massa, so I don't see them moving very far up the ladder. Force India did v well last year, but have no 'heritage' of engineering excellence, so may not sustain their success. Renault must do better, I think. The engine has improved, as Red Bull showed us. I offer no wisdom on the rest, although Sauber's improved finances may imply more and better resources.

8 WEEKS, :O ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Blimey is it that long :scared:  :scared: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jeepers Guys, we have a lot of predictions to make between now and then,

So lets see who will do better and who will get well and truly STUFFED in 2017.

So for me its Lewis for the Title, but I really think it will be close again but this time with the Red Bull Guys chomping at the bit, but in which order for 2nd & 3rd I wouldn't like to say.

Vettel will be behind Bottas so dropping another place down the ladder from his 2016 campaign, which will undoubtedly mean he'll be looking for a new seat in 18.

Kimi will retire, maybe even before the end of the Season. 

McLaren have a major problem as I think Alonso will walk before Race 1, the car showed no real improvement last season, and he doesn't want to be battling with the Manors. 

Williams will be doing battle with Ferrari and that's both worrying for the Tefosie and the future of the Italian GP.

Constructors will go to Merc, then RBR then Ferrari.

Of the 2 New Boys, I'm really not sure as neither have been on my Radar as I don't follow other Formulas.

So 8 WEEKS to wait to get a true picture.

I really cant wait, I want it NOW.

• Like 5

And the other Williams seat, its a shame they cannot sign someone like Carlos Sainz, Daniil kvyat or Pascal Wehrlein because the sponsor (Martini) insists they have both drivers over 25. For this reason, I think Massa will return but it's a missed opportunity to sign someone young.

• RMweb Premium

And the other Williams seat, its a shame they cannot sign someone like Carlos Sainz, Daniil kvyat or Pascal Wehrlein because the sponsor (Martini) insists they have both drivers over 25. For this reason, I think Massa will return but it's a missed opportunity to sign someone young.

Well, no, they dont, because they've got Lance Stroll next season, but it's not wholly unreasonable to have at least one driver who can legally endorse your title sponsor's product globally!

Well, no, they dont, because they've got Lance Stroll next season, but it's not wholly unreasonable to have at least one driver who can legally endorse your title sponsor's product globally!

Oh, I knew that it was possible, as lots of teams have alcoholic drinks. It was on BBC radio 5 live F1 review of 2016 that Martini wouldn't allow drivers under 25, although I assume that has changed now

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I knew that it was possible, as lots of teams have alcoholic drinks. It was on BBC radio 5 live F1 review of 2016 that Martini wouldn't allow drivers under 25, although I assume that has changed now

As I understand it Martini stipulated that one driver had to be over 25.

• RMweb Gold

I also think that Bottas is a ONE SEASON wonder at Merc and Vettel will go there in 18

I think Vettel will have to prove himself before that happens, I don't consider he's yet shown himself to be fully on top of the hybrid cars, at least not consistently. No problem with his driving, but he still occasionally gives the impression that he isn't entirely sure what he can get away with without breaking the car.

I've always thought Bottas to be a driver with the wit but in search of the kit; 2017 will be his chance to deliver. Mercedes presumably think he's good enough, in combination with Lewis, to retain the Constructors' title. The biggest threat to his position for 2018 has to be Verstappen.

I think Lewis will remain with Merc for at least two or three more seasons unless another team comes up with a better car. If Bottas does well enough, 2nd or (at worst) a close 3rd in the Driver's Championship, and no other team challenges them too hard even with Max as their No.1 driver, they could stick with him.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks like CH has forgotten that RBR won the Championship 3 years on the trot with almost NO opposition.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/18393426/christian-horner-thinks-mercedes-dominance-unhealthy-f1

Indeed, similarly it made me laugh when Vettel was whinging in a press conference about Merc's 30 second advantage, one he himself in the RB held over other cars during those years he was winning.

ISTR that Shui went to Ferrari when they were not at the top of their game. It must surely be the ambition of any F1 driver to drive the red cars, I won't be at all surprised to see Lewis move there. Next year perhaps?

Ed

• RMweb Gold

ISTR that Shui went to Ferrari when they were not at the top of their game. It must surely be the ambition of any F1 driver to drive the red cars, I won't be at all surprised to see Lewis move there. Next year perhaps?

Ed

Depends if they have got a competitive package - no point moving from top car to an also-ran, whatever colour it is.

Bottas will run Hamilton very close - he's a comparable talent who has never had the machinery.

Williams won't do too well this year, but 2018 will see a renaissance for them. Merc engines will be effectively free with the Bottas exchange and investments will pay off in 2018.

Werlein should have got a better seat than Sauber. Force India have missed out in my opinion, although he may still ultimately have a seat there if Perez gets the rumoured Ferrari 2018 contract.

An interesting point that doesn't seem to have been raised yet is that Manor is apparently about to be purchased by Ron Dennis :)

• Like 1

Ed

He went there with the mgmt team that won him 2 titles at Benetton...  Brawn and Byrne.  Not just a "heart" decision.

Bottas will run Hamilton very close - he's a comparable talent who has never had the machinery.

Williams won't do too well this year, but 2018 will see a renaissance for them. Merc engines will be effectively free with the Bottas exchange and investments will pay off in 2018.

Werlein should have got a better seat than Sauber. Force India have missed out in my opinion, although he may still ultimately have a seat there if Perez gets the rumoured Ferrari 2018 contract.

An interesting point that doesn't seem to have been raised yet is that Manor is apparently about to be purchased by Ron Dennis :)

Although I may not totally agree with all your summery especially about Bottas, but I was also surprised about Big Ron, I hadn't heard of that, that would be interesting.

Some other really good points though.

• RMweb Gold
A bit of both. Of course Ferrari resents being stuffed annually by Merc, but the history of teams protesting each others' cars is long and ignoble. And the regulations these days are stupefyingly complex, and require substantial engineering knowledge to be interpreted.

Right back to Colin Chapman, circumventing written regs has been part of the art of success. It's just that the huge financial rewards on offer make getting away with it more lucrative than ever.

Well Toto said they wouldn't announce their Driver until the 3rd January when they go back to work. I would guess that despite VB visiting the Merc Factory before Christmas, something must be holding up the Contract Signing.