The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

• RMweb Gold

Ferrari is bluffing. They're not leaving F1, they need it too much as a marketing tool for their 'regular' business. Besides, if they don't participate, they won't stand any chance of winning anything, don't they? :P

And Liberty knows it.... :rolleyes:

But surely if they form a breakaway using Ferrari engines and chassis on a Haas type agreement to all participants they couldn’t lose???

But surely if they form a breakaway using Ferrari engines and chassis on a Haas type agreement to all participants they couldn’t lose???

Would it carry the same kudos as F1?

No it wouldnt, and F1 has survived when all the other teams have left and most have returned a few years later, I think Ferrari need F1 more than F1 needs Ferrari, in fact F1 doesnt need Ferrari at all.

I would guess that Liberty need to understand what attracts the vast majority to watch F1 more than any other race series. I watch it in the belief that it is the pinnacle of man/machine race craft. Recent years have made that belief wobble a bit, with temptations to watch other forms, 2 and 4 wheel, on many occasions (mainly because they were there, available and free), but nothing else quite does it for me. 

Is it the history, and the decades of following it, or is it the continuous change, which you just do not see elsewhere? The latter makes me struggle to understand the new configurations, rules and new tactics needed, to ensure I can follow the logic of what is occurring in each race.

But during the several seasons it became a procession - particularly during the Schumi years - my attention wandered. If Ferrarri bog off but the races are just as competitive, it won't matter to me.  I thought the end had come when Murray retired, but I still kept watching. Nothing can be worse than losing Murray. Except not having a single British driver to squirm over. 

• Like 2

Love it. An Italian telling a German not to be emotional, having openly criticised a completely asocial Finn for not pulling his weight. Meanwhile, I will throw my dummy right out of the arena if you dare mention levelling the playing field a little bit.

Why don't they just recognise that invading Abyssinia was their modern peak (or perhaps the AlfaSud, the Doblo van of course, and the Pendolino, and maybe Piedmonte wine and a few dresses from Milan), or retire gracefully from modern life, and leave the ashes of their PR and marketing in the hands of Clarkson, or similar?

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but as Ferrari were more than 140 points behind Mercedes at season-end, they could do a great deal better and still not win. And since Mercedes are now airing the possibility of squeezing 1000 bhp out of their engine, Ferrari may still struggle. I do hope so.

The fact that they were 140 points behind speaks to more of the performance [or relative lack of performance] of Kimi more than the actual car. Ferrari did have a race winning car in 2017 and there would be weekends where Kimi was going through the motions or simply mailing it in (granted there were some weekends where he was not). The points difference between Vettel and Raikkonen was 112 points and between Hamilton and Bottas was 57. Kimi was also 100 points behind Bottas. If Kimi had Bottas's point total (or similar), then the difference would not have been 140 points, and we wouldn't be questioning the Ferrari chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Ferrari have no option other then retaining Kimi, he's the "best" of the sub-top drivers. Take out the top 4 spots (Lewis, Max, Daniel and Seb) with 2 of those in the same team and Ferrari's options are limited to get a better driver as Bottas is already at Merc and getting either Max or Daniel would surely cause rubbings with Vettel, as he knows d*mn well both will be challenging his #1 driver status PDQ. (read as: instantly) :yes:

Yes but I was pointing out that you need to read in between the lines when looking at the final result rather than go for the obvious. The devil is in the details.

I still think Ferrari should have bitten the bullet for 2017, or now for 18, and taken a gamble on a young talent like Ocon or Perez for example, (others available) that would have been so pleased to get the Drive, they would have proved their worth, rather than just driving around to pick up what Points they could, and also put some fire back into a Team that is  merely going through the Motions for the Start Money and occasional glory.

• Like 1

Yes but I was pointing out that you need to read in between the lines when looking at the final result rather than go for the obvious. The devil is in the details.

There's lies, damned lies... and statistics...

If it's any consolation, D-M I agree with your original post, you could quite easily argue that Merc lost quite a few points that they should have had so the gap could have been bigger...

There's lies, damned lies and statistics! ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The fact that they were 140 points behind speaks to more of the performance [or relative lack of performance] of Kimi more than the actual car. Ferrari did have a race winning car in 2017 and there would be weekends where Kimi was going through the motions or simply mailing it in (granted there were some weekends where he was not). The points difference between Vettel and Raikkonen was 112 points and between Hamilton and Bottas was 57. Kimi was also 100 points behind Bottas. If Kimi had Bottas's point total (or similar), then the difference would not have been 140 points, and we wouldn't be questioning the Ferrari chassis.

One of Kimi's functions is to make Vettel look a bit better than he really is. He knows it and that is bound to take the ultimate edge off his performance.

Seb and Ferrari both want, and have got, the same thing - a No.2 driver who won't rock the boat by presenting a real challenge to the No.1 driver. Whilst that attitude prevails, one of the prancing horses will always be a gelding. 

The obvious candidates to replace Kimi know what's what and probably calculate they will have a better chance of beating Seb in a Red Bull next season than in a Ferrari.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Or 57XX started this one, but previously on F1 it was Ian. hahha :no:

Yes, normally was Ian, he was slow off the mark last year so I chipped in.

Anyone can create one if they want.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Farewell 2017. Do we suppose the Max Ferrari smash up will emerge as one of the most replayed clips from former seasons?

It is certainly up there with Barcelona 2016 for a team making a comprehensive horlicks of things.