RMweb

57xx

The fans would just be grateful for an engine formula that keeps all the cars running throughout every race. They/we/I couldn't give two monkeys' twizzles about environmental etc issues in F1 racing. Just let the drivers sort the pecking order, please. Will adding 3k rpm to the engine speed really help reliability? 

No, as I can confirm when applied to a FIAT Doblo.......

• Like 1

I think I just about understand the difference between a MGUH and a MGUK. But won't the K version cause more resistance, by having to collect the kinetic energy much like a dynamo, and therefore be less efficient than the H version? My limited understanding is that the H uses "waste" energy from the heat of the engine, or turbo, which would otherwise dissipate uselessly, whereas the K has to convert the active energy of the engine/transmission rotation into stored energy for use later on, just as ERS worked. It was essentially a form of engine braking, which, when it failed (which seemed to be quite often as I recall) put unplanned stress on the brakes and caused a marked reduction in lap times for the suffering driver. Or is there a g-whizz way of doing that without abstracting forward energy in lieu of braking now?

The fans would just be grateful for an engine formula that keeps all the cars running throughout every race. They/we/I couldn't give two monkeys' twizzles about environmental etc issues in F1 racing. Just let the drivers sort the pecking order, please. Will adding 3k rpm to the engine speed really help reliability? 

Although back in the old days when the engines were built to last the 200 miles and it was always likely that one or more would let go, it did add an extra bit of tension to the race. Remember Monaco 1996, when Damon finally looked like he was going to win at the track his father had done so well at, and the normally bulletproof Renault let go half way through?  Not to mention the incredible exploding Peugeot engines in the back of the McLarens in 1994........

In fairness, most of the F1 Drivers seem to be able to converse with the Media in a very well presented manor, apart from one from Finland maybe, but that's just his way I guess.

I didn't think any drivers this season had spoken in a well presented Manor.... ;-)

As to engine regs - my preference would be not to have any rules regarding the engines except the maximum amount of fuel to be used. That way, rather than sticking to one particular way of building a more efficient engine, the manufacturers would be able to try different technologies, which would lead to better development of road car engines.

• Like 4

As to engine regs - my preference would be not to have any rules regarding the engines except the maximum amount of fuel to be used. That way, rather than sticking to one particular way of building a more efficient engine, the manufacturers would be able to try different technologies, which would lead to better development of road car engines.

Bring back the W12s and H16s I say, proper engines!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He did give a little nod to seb at the end:

Going down that straight three-abreast with two of the greatest drivers I have come across was...'oh my God'. I was so excited for the race."

• Like 2

Bring back the W12s and H16s I say, proper engines!

I can't see that happening.

One of the attractions & benefits of F1 is that it pushes technology forward for road cars.

Mid-engines, fuel injection, engine management, paddle-shift gearboxes etc.

Did you know that Mercedes broke the 50% efficiency barrier earlier this year? This is a huge milestone for an internal combustion engine. You could not hope to get close to this without turbos & energy recovery.

Better efficiency means less fuel & a faster car.

V8's V10's etc may have sounded nicer but they really are a thing of the past. The last turbo era was all about power. F1 can't be seen to be not giving a monkeys about the environment so I am sure the hybrid engines are here to stay.

I can't see that happening.

One of the attractions & benefits of F1 is that it pushes technology forward for road cars.

Mid-engines, fuel injection, engine management, paddle-shift gearboxes etc.

Did you know that Mercedes broke the 50% efficiency barrier earlier this year? This is a huge milestone for an internal combustion engine. You could not hope to get close to this without turbos & energy recovery.

Better efficiency means less fuel & a faster car.

V8's V10's etc may have sounded nicer but they really are a thing of the past. The last turbo era was all about power. F1 can't be seen to be not giving a monkeys about the environment so I am sure the hybrid engines are here to stay.

All that is true, but I wonder what the dropping of the MGUH, and focusing entirely on MGUK will do to that ratio?

• RMweb Gold

Marchionne says he is "looking for a future which enhances Ferrari's unique position" - presumably that means the financial situation being even more skewed in Ferrari's favour than it already is....

But he also says that quitting F1 would look good in the accounts. All sports participation, promotion or endorsement these days costs money. Ferrari is a very different car manufacturer today from the one it was a few decades back. It may not need more seasons of being second-best in F1 to keep selling its desirable products. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At one time even F1 included 'start-line specials' which had no hope of completing the distance (often more than the max 200 miles of today) but got a fee for just being on the grid. All forms of motor sport have moved on from those days.

Which newb driver in F1 did Steve Matchett say was: “Dancing on the razor’s edge of adhesion” in Mexico?

Brilliant line by the way...........NBC’s coverage of F1 is still great, I’m surprised to say.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

I'm away from here for 10 days from tomorrow morning, and with NO internet I will miss the build up on here and post race analysts of Brazil so will have to catch up on 14th. The place where we stay in Wales only has a small TV so not quite like being at home either.

...Did you know that Mercedes broke the 50% efficiency barrier earlier this year? This is a huge milestone for an internal combustion engine. You could not hope to get close to this without turbos & energy recovery..Better efficiency means less fuel & a faster car...

Remember when the coverage showed the fuel consumption in the on screen graphics a couple of seasons past? It was apparent then that the Merc power unit was doing it on less fuel than the closest competitor. And it means that next season the Merc will probably still have significantly more power then the rest of the field, because the engine output may be increased without hitting the fuel limit. More 'rather quick' qualifying laps to come then. Until the Merc hits the max, there likely won't be sufficient openings for Max...

If he is considered worthy of the honour, perhaps this is something that should be awarded at the end of his F1 career when he retires from racing.

If you give him one now, for winning 4 championships in 9 years, what do you do if, for example, he wins another four. Can't give him another one.

Conversely, what would happen if, for example, he were to become involved in some unpleasantness later on in his career that leads to calls for the honour to be stripped? Much embarrassment all round.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I've always thought that things like this should be awarded at the end of the persons career, for services to the sport etc.

• Like 1

If he is considered worthy of the honour, perhaps this is something that should be awarded at the end of his F1 career when he retires from racing.

If you give him one now, for winning 4 championships in 9 years, what do you do if, for example, he wins another four. Can't give him another one.

Conversely, what would happen if, for example, he were to become involved in some unpleasantness later on in his career that leads to calls for the honour to be stripped? Much embarrassment all round.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I've always thought that things like this should be awarded at the end of the persons career, for services to the sport etc.

Some excellent points, and yes your probably right.

Make him Queen.

OK, a life peerage then: Lord Lewis of St Evenage.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1