The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

I think it was actually quite good to watch - the highlights anyway - with seeing Hamilton and Ricciardo carving their through the field and wondering whether they could get near the front, and also the battles that Alonso was having. But there was little to see at the front, agreed, apart from the attempted undercut.

Notwithstanding what might have happened had Lewis had pole, it does bode well for closer racing next season. Although the new power unit given to Lewis suggests the Mercs may have yet more in reserve than is thought.

The closed season always sees some teams progress more than others & apart from the Brawn/Schumacher era & Alonso's self-destruction of McLaren which allowed Kimi to win in 07, Ferrari have been second-best to someone for the last 35 years, so I really don't see this result as an indication of what is to come. Remember Ferrari suffered a spate of engine failures 6-8 weeks ago. This was around the same component, which indicates over-stressing components in search of performance.

Maybe McLaren Renault will be another challenger next year? I think Red Bull will be a step closer, but now they have agreed to part ways with Renault, maybe they will not get the best components.

Hamilton looked happier with his 4th than most of his seconds. He seemed to enjoy fighting through the field & it was interesting to hear how damning he was of himself for spinning out of qualifying on Saturday.

Bottas had every right to be been disappointed. If he had won, he would have had a chance of 2nd overall with a Merc 1-2 at Abu Dhabi, which is very possible. Vettel only needs a few points now though so I can't see Ferrari pushing too hard for performance for the last race.

Ferrari still seem to be a team geared around 1 driver: Vettel is consistently faster than Raikonnen. He probably is but I think the difference it exaggerated by the team. A significant exception to this was at Monaco when Raikonnen started from pole & had the win taken away by a poor pit stop strategy. Read what you want into that but most 'in the know' will tell you that the driver makes more of a difference in Monaco.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Notwithstanding what might have happened had Lewis had pole, it does bode well for closer racing next season. Although the new power unit given to Lewis suggests the Mercs may have yet more in reserve than is thought.

I think was just a case of, he's already at the back, lets swap in a new engine and take the penalty. A new engine will always make more power than one that''s got a few races under it's belt and you have less to worry about reliability due to wear and tear, he was thus able to turn it up to help him fight his way up the field.

• RMweb Premium

Well read! He's still the best driver in the current field (if there was ever any doubt of it) finishing within sight of the winner from a pit lane start.

A new engine turned up to full power in a championship winning car on a track where you can overtake helps...

Watching him coming through the field was playing a F1 video game on the easiest difficulty.

Edited by OnTheBranchline
  • Like 1

A new engine turned up to full power in a championship winning car on a track where you can overtake helps...

Watching him coming through the field was playing a F1 video game on the easiest difficulty.

Indeed, he didnt do much overtaking last time out after the coming together with Vettel who did quite a lot of overtaking I seem to remember.

Indeed, he didnt do much overtaking last time out after the coming together with Vettel who did quite a lot of overtaking I seem to remember.

He started off close to a minute behind so had to catch up first. By then they were pretty well spread out. This race he was much, much closer to start with.

• RMweb Gold

He started off close to a minute behind so had to catch up first. By then they were pretty well spread out. This race he was much, much closer to start with.

Also remember that whilst he struggled at first, after asking if anyone else was managing to overtake and was told "Yes, Vettel", he got into the zone and soon started making passes.

Both could do what they did with both cars and the same would be said, whilst some may not like Vettel, they will still give credit where it's due. We don't know how the two cars handled after the incident in the previous race so it's impossible to judge the way many people are doing. Yes, Hamilton's car had a new engine in that last race and may well perform better (though that's very debatable, at the level they are a fall off in power would be unacceptable) but the simple fact is we are guessing...

Comparing it to a video game is just plain wrong, though.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

Let's phrase it this way; if Vettel did what Hamilton, people would be saying It was because Vettel's car is so good. But when Hamilton does it, it's great driving.

Vettel's car is good, it was good enough to stay in front of a Mercedes for race distance.

Vettel is a good driver too, he likewise recently demonstrated overhauling most of the field from a back row start.

But somehow Hammy made up all the time from the pit lane start, and got within sight on track of Vettel, the race winner.

Power advantage Hammy may have had, we can only guess at. The Merc powerplant is know to be the best thing available this season, and that gave some hint of the margin they have in hand. He still had to drive it all the way. Comparison as above to 'easy level' on a video game is so lacking in insight regarding the workload of an F1 driver in that physically draining environment, to tell me all I need to know of such an opinion.

• Like 1

Vettel's car is good, it was good enough to stay in front of a Mercedes for race distance.

Vettel is a good driver too, he likewise recently demonstrated overhauling most of the field from a back row start.

But somehow Hammy made up all the time from the pit lane start, and got within sight on track of Vettel, the race winner.

Power advantage Hammy may have had, we can only guess at. The Merc powerplant is know to be the best thing available this season, and that gave some hint of the margin they have in hand. He still had to drive it all the way. Comparison as above to 'easy level' on a video game is so lacking in insight regarding the workload of an F1 driver in that physically draining environment, to tell me all I need to know of such an opinion.

And also remember, Bottas had the same Car and Power unit. :O

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that the safety car was brought out on the first lap, and by the time it came in again, three cars were out of the race and another three cars had pitted. This put Hamilton into 14th place.

Al

Can I just ask for a slight interval between the Hamilton haters and supporters debate and ask -

Is Channel 4 still showing F1 in the same way next year as this year? I am easily confused, and the various observations that some will not watch F1 next year because it will have to be paid for, has confused me.

I have also observed that a condition of Sky's monopoly, whether it be from next year or from 2019, includes a proviso that the British Grand prix live will be shown free (quite how if you are not a Sky subscriber is, as yet, to be revealed), and that highlights of all other races must still be shown free-to-air, but quite who delivers that is yet to be announced?

They might make the British GP freely available on a streaming platform. There's lots of sport available that way now.

I've got a feeling a Liberty are ultimately moving towards this. There is now full highlights of every session on the official F1 Youtube channel. Huge numbers of people watching short session highlights has got to be good for the sport, they only see the best bits and think F1 is exciting all the time and more exposure for sponsors.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB_qr75-ydFVKSF9Dmo6izg

• Like 2