Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Collectors

250BOB

Just curious...... as someone who buys/collects model trains for the purpose of running them on a model railway.

I have an acquaintance who buys models purely to collect, and never run......and lots of them.

He admits to removing from the box once on arrival, giving it a good looking at for a few days, the re boxing, normally never to see the light of day again.???

He tells me that is quite normal of collectors, which I find a little difficult to believe, I thought they bought them to put in a display cabinet perhaps.

Tell me collectors, do you keep them boxed or do you display them permanently.

A work colleague of mine collects class 90 locos and wants one of each livery. He did have them out on display for a while but latterly they have been removed. His DB 90 which was his last purchase has been left boxed. He is more interested in knowing he actually has them rather than displaying them.

A work colleague of mine collects class 90 locos and wants one of each livery. He did have them out on display for a while but latterly they have been removed. His DB 90 which was his last purchase has been left boxed. He is more interested in knowing he actually has them rather than displaying them.

The same acquaintance I referred to in post #1, collects Wetherspoons menus.....apparently the menus are distinctive to each establishment.

We are all different I suppose, whatever presses your button.

Don't forget  that phrase you hear when collectors come to sell their collections of anything...Mint In Box.

That's the beauty of my hobby - collecting After Eights.

They're always Mint in Box

That's the beauty of my hobby - collecting After Eights.

They're always Mint in Box

Not in any house I've been in...a box full of empty envelopes...Now if I could have got 50p per envelope I could afford to buy the country!!!

• RMweb Premium

I collect industrial liveried locomotives. Most are out on display because they look good and (probably doesn't make me a proper collector) I like to run mine.

They are easier to grab from the glass cabinet than stashed away somewhere in a box.

Its a difficult decision for a collector to risk the model by running it or having it on display / compared to tucked away in a box. As I only collect mass market made models (Peckets, J94's,Sentinels etc) I never expect my collection to be worth a fortune therefor I take the risk of devaluing it and enjoying them.

Each the their own.

Whatever floats your boat. Usually a harmless pastime as long as you can afford it and it doesn't take over your life.

However some of them become horders and that's not healthy. I saw a programme on daytime TV a couple of years ago (my mum pointed it out).

There was a bloke that had so much model railway stuff that he had to hire a large storage unit to keep it in. All mint in box, None of it was used or even opened. There was no coherence to his collecting. Just one of everything. It wasn't old collectables such as Triang or Hornby Dublo but the latest models.

He was just buying things and taking them to his unit. Not even looking at them.

Then it emerged that he was heavily in debt. Yet he was still buying things. In the end they had a massive clear out and it went to auction. Guess what? No debt. The stuff he had hoarded was the cause and solution to his problems.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately after a house move, I've become a collector as described above. I reckon it will be about two more years until I get the room in this place to do a layout. The cupboard is full in the meantime!

Don't ever knock collectors.

What would we do when we decide to set the new layout in a different region or era if it weren't for a steady supply of new in box collectors' cast offs, now that model shops no longer keep a full (or any) range of stock

In AA style: My name is Kevin, and I think I've accidentally become a collector.

But, it depends upon the definition, does it not?

If one has more stock than is needed to operate ones layout, and consequently much of that stock spends its time in a cupboard, does that constitute "collecting"? If it does, a lot of "modellers" might actually be "collectors"?

And, at the other extreme, might it only truly be "collecting" if one has a target, a point of completion of the collection, in mind ....... all the petrol tanker liveries ever issued by Hornby-Dublo, say?

So, if I explain the situation, perhaps you chaps can tell me whether I'm a collector or not?

I chose to use coarse-0, because it permits the running of newly-made and old things together; have a layout, although by no means finished; sometimes buy things and run them, sometimes buy near-wrecks and attempt to revitalise them, sometimes build kits, sometimes build from scratch; have got about three times the stock needed to operate the layout as designed; find the old stuff fascinating, so sometimes buy things that I really don't need ......

Buying and never running stuff ...... no, to me that is just hoarding ...... unless, I suppose, it is for " the layout I will build when I retire".

K

Don't ever knock collectors. What would we do when we decide to set the new layout in a different region or era if it weren't for a steady supply of new in box collectors' cast offs, now that model shops no longer keep a full (or any) range of stock

It's the model railway strategic reserve. Or in the case of the Lima dufftractorpile, a bit of a barry.

I am not in the least worried about the longevity of present RTR if used. Over the next twenty to thirty years the 80% sold and never turned a wheel will furnish ample replacements as they inevitably return to the market.

I collect models, and I run models. Occasionally the two interests fix upon the same locomotive or rolling stock, but occasionally not. I model and run BR blue TOPS period and industrial, but collect a lot of colourful liveries, especially pre-grouping. I solve the problem by having lots of Picture Pride display cabinets and use the collection as wall decoration. I don't believe in hoarding things that never see the light of day, but I do keep the boxes everything came in safely stacked in plastic crates in the loft.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think owning stock in cupboards because it only rarely runs on your layout is collecting, it's still modelling if you've had 'em out the box and weathered or done anything else to them.  The cupboard is merely an extension of the fiddle yard in the sense that it represents the rest of the railway system 'off stage'.

Well, that's my excuse and I've bagsied it; you'll have to invent your own...

Archived