GWR Toplights Poll  

156 members have voted

1. 1. What era Great Western / WR steam do you model?

• Pre 1920's
    • 1920 to 1939 - Shirtbutton era
    • WW2
    • Post WW2
    • Post Nationalisation WR steam
  2. 2. If R-T-R Toplight carriages were brought to the market you much would you spend?

3. 3. How many are you likely to buy?

4. 4. Given the plethora of types and how these changed over the years, which is important?

• 3rd class corridor stock
    • 3rd class non corridor
    • Brake 3rd (LH & RH) corridor stock
    • Brake 3rd non-corridor
    • Composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite non corridor
    • 1st class corridor stock
    • Restaurant carriage
    • Full Brake van e.g.(Toplight K22 etc.)
    • Single slip
    • Double slip
  5. 5. Which actual stock would you buy?

• 48ft non corridor 3rd class C37
    • 48ft non corridor Brake 3rd D62
    • 48ft non corridor Composite E101
    • 57ft non corridor 1st class A15
    • 57ft non corridor Brake 3rd D49
    • 57ft non corridor Composite E89
    • 57ft corridor 3rd class C32
    • 57ft corridor composite E83/85
    • 57ft corridor Brake 3rd class E47
    • 56ft corridor Brake Composite E82
    • 70ft corridor 1st class A13
    • Restaurant carriage H16
    • Double slip carriage F21
    • Single slip carriage F15/16
    • Full Brake K22
    • 70ft 3rd class carriage C29
    • 70ft Brake 3rd carriage D51
    • 70ft composite carriage E84
    • C35 3rd class 57ft
    • D56 Brake 3rd 57ft
    • E98/E103 Composite

With all the excitement of the recent Dapol announcement and the mention of corridor versions I thought I would come over to this thread to do a bit more learning on the subject as I have zero knowledge regards "Toplights".

A quick skim and scan through the thread and much of the talk is about the coaches in service during the GWR period and not much during BR, so I have 3 questions. (Thought here was the most appropraite place to ask)

1. When were the last withdrawals of the corridor stock?

2. What livery would they have been in in BR service

3. Were the coaches widespread across the GWR/WR network unlike the ones Dapol have just announced?

Cheers :)

NB I model the Cambrian network circa 1960. Currently planning a representation of Aberystwyth engine shed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Currently planning a representation of Aberystwyth engine shed

I've built that - three times! (Assuming you mean the 1938 shed).

v1 was quite a crude model scratchbuilt from card when I was a student. The model sat in the corner of my L-shaped Aberystwyth Mark 1 layout, and concealed a 90 degree bend in the Cambrian line.  This was 'lost' some time after Mk1 was dismantled and Mk2 built.

v2 was a 'bashed' pair of Metcalfe loco sheds, with the window arches disguised with stone/concrete lintels.

v3 was built the same way, replacing v2 after it was crushed in a house move.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

1. When were the last withdrawals of the corridor stock?

They became very rare by the late 1950s. Not sure when the last withdrawal was.

2. What livery would they have been in in BR service

They would have started their BR service in their last GWR livery. Thereafter crimson and cream (from 1949). Some of the corridor toplights probably got lined maroon post-1956, but I can't recall a picture offhand (not having my Russell books handy). Repainting Toplights was never a priority, and many of them probably ended their days in their last GWR livery.

3. Were the coaches widespread across the GWR/WR network unlike the ones Dapol have just announced.

Yes. Although there were the usual restrictions for the 70' stock of course.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

I've built that - three times! (Assuming you mean the 1938 shed).

v1 was quite a crude model scratchbuilt from card when I was a student. The model sat in the corner of my L-shaped Aberystwyth Mark 1 layout, and concealed a 90 degree bend in the Cambrian line.  This was 'lost' some time after Mk1 was dismantled and Mk2 built.

v2 was a 'bashed' pair of Metcalfe loco sheds, with the window arches disguised with stone/concrete lintels.

v3 was built the same way, replacing v2 after it was crushed in a house move.

Yes @RJS1977. The 1938 shed. I will create a topic on here at some point (he says), as the shed (and coal stage) are currently under consturction and are currently just a pile of greyboard and plasticard and strips

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

They became very rare by the late 1950s. Not sure when the last withdrawal was.

They would have started their BR service in their last GWR livery. Thereafter crimson and cream (from 1949). Some of the corridor toplights probably got lined maroon post-1956, but I can't recall a picture offhand (not having my Russell books handy). Repainting Toplights was never a priority, and many of them probably ended their days in their last GWR livery.

Yes. Although there were the usual restrictions for the 70' stock of course.

Much appreciated @Miss Prism. So I guess depending what Dapol produce maybe 1 or 2 would be a sensible purchase? I'm sure a couple in a mixed rake behind a Dukedog on a local service would be a sensible option?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Another question - did toplights tend to run in rakes with other toplights, or did they get jumbled up with other coaches (particularly later in their careers)?

It was almost a rule on the Great Western Railway that, apart from sets used for principal express trains, no two coaches of the same type could be coupled together.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

I did a quick totting up of preserved Toplights. Some of these are in various states of rebuild/decrepitude/inauthenticity. I've probably missed some!

1145 (a K22) at Severn Valley
2426 (a C30) at Severn Valley
2573 (a C32) at Blue Anchor
2578 (a C32) at Minehead
3631 (a C28) at Williton
3639 (a C28) at Williton
3963 (a C35) at Didcot
3665 (a C28) at Williton
3668 (a C28) at Bishops Lydeard
3755 (a D62) at Didcot
3756 (a D62) at Didcot
3885 (a C32) at Blue Anchor
3930 (a C32) on the Severn Valley
3980 (a C35) at Blue Anchor
7538 (an E83) at Williton
7545 (an E83) at Cricklade
9055 (a G43) at Severn Valley

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

It seems ironic that non corridor Toplight coaches (selecting a prototype that was limited to only a few routes) generally  fared the worst in this poll and yet Dapol have chosen them for their first foray into Toplights

Also having decided to produce them in the Lake livery there are not presently any suitable/ likely rtr GW tank locos from the increasingly  popular pre- grouping period.

Hopefully things will improve in this area with suitable pre-grouping GW tank locos to haul not only these but the 4/6 wheel generic coaches of Hattons and Hornby.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

It seems ironic that non corridor Toplight coaches (selecting a prototype that was limited to only a few routes) generally  fared the worst in this poll and yet Dapol have chosen them for their first foray into Toplights

Also having decided to produce them in the Lake livery there are not presently any suitable/ likely rtr GW tank locos from the increasingly  popular pre- grouping period.

Hopefully things will improve in this area with suitable pre-grouping GW tank locos to haul not only these but the 4/6 wheel generic coaches of Hattons and Hornby.

They are short coaches and they operated in fixed sets. The Lake livery is simply a bonus livery (It is the one I will get) but they will go nicely withe 51XX and 61XX. In the 1920s Dean Goods and the 43XX were used on passenger workings as were the 45XX tanks so it is not stretching things too much to widen their use to include them. If people are prepared to accept freelance coaches from the other two mobs you mentioned, then I cannot see them getting too worked up about using these with different locos. Hopefully these will increase awareness of Toplights and encourage Dapol to produce corridor coaches. I suspect they will stick to the steel body ones but would be delighted to be wrong.

Craig W

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Well I now need a new hat !!

042A7F9F-CE4E-438A-849D-47CA783BFE8C.jpeg.ab5190e0b4b0a25720059c8bccbffc03.jpeg

.....and a small metro tank.

That’s a lovely photo.

Hopefully we will get a nice Metro tank to haul the mainline and city stock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2022 at 13:45, Miss Prism said:

They won't. Anyone who is desperate for plated over bodies and toplights will need to start messing around with 10 thou plasticard.

Plated over is not of course exactly what happened with parts of the coaches.  Outer panels were renewed (possibly on the original timber frames or frames were partially replaced) with new panels and no mouldings were added on the new panels the holes being filled instead.   Toplights might well have been tackled in the same way as it would be simpler that covering over the original toplight?

Putting on 10 thou plasticard is only going to bulk out the vehicle and then it's a question of matching the paint colour and finish.   This is one reason why manufacturers have previously steered clear of toplights - the difficulty and considerable increase in manufacturing cost in getting bodysides done properly for the varying conditions which the vehicles sides presented over the years 9which probably weren't consistent in any case over more than a handful of vehicles.

The manufacturer really has only one economic choice - pick a point in the life of the chosen vehicles and model that while forgetting any earlier or later variations except for livery.  Then simply apply whatever liveries they think will sell and trust to people buying them even if they are 'wrong'.  That is probably what Dapol will do if they are watching their costs carefully and with 'generic' coaches now seemingly accepted by many modellers I expect they could still be commercially successful.

As I've mentioned previouslky I think the obvious targets will be teh 57 foot vehicles.  Some of the GWR 70 foot vehicles had relatively good route availability on the GWR network (including some branchlines ;) )but were severely restricted in where they could go beyond it  whereas various of the 57 footers could go further afield unless they had wide bodies.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2022 at 14:02, Welchester said:

It was almost a rule on the Great Western Railway that, apart from sets used for principal express trains, no two coaches of the same type could be coupled together.

And that, should it be unfortunately necessary to marshall two of the same type together, they should be in different liveries and/or the corridors should be on opposite sides. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 05/02/2022 at 22:51, The Johnster said:

And that, should it be unfortunately necessary to marshall two of the same type together, they should be in different liveries and/or the corridors should be on opposite sides. 

and with different bogies......

I am just finishing this one. A H16 top light (despite not having any top lights) diner. It had three different bogies in its' life. Tis one would be a nightmare for the rtr boys as it was rebuilt twice, on the last occasion,  with new mk1 style windows, completely changing the look. The roof layout was changed several times.

849449977_H16Toplightdiner(lr.jpg.9b388672ca1c755b839eaabffb4c2f3d.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2022 at 22:40, Steamport Southport said:

I just hope they don't pick the same ones as Slaters did/hopefully will reissue soon.

I hope they have picked the diagrams that give broadest appeal and give them the best sales. If that overlaps with the old Slaters kits, then so be it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I hope they have picked the diagrams that give broadest appeal and give them the best sales. If that overlaps with the old Slaters kits, then so be it.

But it is a risk. There are many of us who have built/had built Geen/Blacksmith/Charlton/Frogmore/Slaters top lights who are unlikely to buy diagrams already built and running from these sources.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

But it is a risk. There are many of us who have built/had built Geen/Blacksmith/Charlton/Frogmore/Slaters top lights who are unlikely to buy diagrams already built and running from these sources.

Likewise, there are many of us who haven't built any coach kits at all for whatever reasons (perhaps more so than those who have). :)

Per my post, if picking a particular diagram is going to them broadest appeal and best sales, they'd be daft not to do it.  I don't see that as a risk, just good business.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/02/2022 at 18:55, RJS1977 said:

Another question - did toplights tend to run in rakes with other toplights, or did they get jumbled up with other coaches (particularly later in their careers)?

Let's put it this way, the Hornby corridor Colletts and the Dapol corridor toplights really need each other !

• Agree 5