GWR Toplights Poll  

156 members have voted

1. 1. What era Great Western / WR steam do you model?

• Pre 1920's
    • 1920 to 1939 - Shirtbutton era
    • WW2
    • Post WW2
    • Post Nationalisation WR steam
  2. 2. If R-T-R Toplight carriages were brought to the market you much would you spend?

3. 3. How many are you likely to buy?

4. 4. Given the plethora of types and how these changed over the years, which is important?

• 3rd class corridor stock
    • 3rd class non corridor
    • Brake 3rd (LH & RH) corridor stock
    • Brake 3rd non-corridor
    • Composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite non corridor
    • 1st class corridor stock
    • Restaurant carriage
    • Full Brake van e.g.(Toplight K22 etc.)
    • Single slip
    • Double slip
  5. 5. Which actual stock would you buy?

• 48ft non corridor 3rd class C37
    • 48ft non corridor Brake 3rd D62
    • 48ft non corridor Composite E101
    • 57ft non corridor 1st class A15
    • 57ft non corridor Brake 3rd D49
    • 57ft non corridor Composite E89
    • 57ft corridor 3rd class C32
    • 57ft corridor composite E83/85
    • 57ft corridor Brake 3rd class E47
    • 56ft corridor Brake Composite E82
    • 70ft corridor 1st class A13
    • Restaurant carriage H16
    • Double slip carriage F21
    • Single slip carriage F15/16
    • Full Brake K22
    • 70ft 3rd class carriage C29
    • 70ft Brake 3rd carriage D51
    • 70ft composite carriage E84
    • C35 3rd class 57ft
    • D56 Brake 3rd 57ft
    • E98/E103 Composite

How many years ago did the story appear that Slaters had taken back the moulds for the Toplights and were planning to reissue them?  Every now and again someone would post that this or that had happened and they would be available next Spring/Autumn/Year etc..  I have long given up any realistic hope that they might reappear and in my opinion the Dapol announcement really puts a final nail in the coffin that was already firmly closed.

Martin

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I have an ersatz Collett 60' non-gangwayed third, cut'n'shut from an Airfix B set, which has unlined BR maroon 1956 livery on one side and lined austerity brown 1942 livery the other, different numbers as well.  It is used as an occasional 'Saturday strengthener' (practice at Tondu was to run 2-coach trains strengthend to 3 on Saturdays to cope with extra traffic, which was mostly shoppers going to Bridgend, and Porthcawl day trippers in summer).  But I don't approve of radically different liveries such as GW crimson lake;/1942 austerity/BR crimson/BR maroon opposte chocolate or crimson and cream on opposite sides of coaches, as the livery on the unviewed side is visible at the window reveals, especially if it is cream on the unviewed side.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2022 at 14:05, Siberian Snooper said:

I have a number of Slaters clerestory coaches that are lake livery on one side and chocolate and cream on the other side and a couple that are in one or the other, ends are black in all cases.

They're not talking about livery though.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Liveries were being discussed on the previous page from Wednesday. Please try to keep up.

On 09/02/2022 at 23:15, RJS1977 said:

Maybe they could do one panelled on one side but not the other!

On 10/02/2022 at 09:11, Miss Prism said:

And what would you suggest for the ends?

That's not talk about livery. You think Russ doesn't know what colour the ends would be?

Edited by 57xx
  • Funny 1

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Five years later (Six or Seven by the time they arrive) it looks as if we are going to get a selection of Toplight carriages.

With the Mainline & City carriages in production at the moment (Due around March / April 2023), I understand that Dapol have committed to a range of Corridor 56ft 11 1/4 Multibar Toplights.

Brake 3rd (left & right); all Third; Composite (left & right); Full Brake.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 09/02/2022 at 23:15, RJS1977 said:

Maybe they could do one panelled on one side but not the other!

I’ve got a number of coaches like this: wartime brown one side, chocolate and cream the other. The wartime brown is used on top of cocked-up normal GW livery!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 10/02/2022 at 15:38, Pendennis said:

How many years ago did the story appear that Slaters had taken back the moulds for the Toplights and were planning to reissue them?  Every now and again someone would post that this or that had happened and they would be available next Spring/Autumn/Year etc..  I have long given up any realistic hope that they might reappear and in my opinion the Dapol announcement really puts a final nail in the coffin that was already firmly closed.

Martin

I didn't see this and sorry for bringing up an old post.

They've released most of the wagons and some of the MR Carriages and they did say it was going to be a long process due to the state of the tooling/etc. that they got back from whoever actually had them. Most of them didn't have any instructions and many were unidentifiable apparently.

This is alongside their normal 7mm range which is their priority.

https://slatersplastikard.com/carriages/4mmCarriages.php

I know they aren't toplights, but look at the quality of this. The 4mm kits were just as good.

7C08.jpg

But as we were saying plenty of Diagrams and sizes to choose from. But it would be a massive shame if somebody picked the types where there is a decent kit potentially being reissued.

Considering that Dapol are doing the 48 footers as the suburban stock I would expect them to do the same length corridor stock as well. So I think Slaters are safe.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I didn't see this and sorry for bringing up an old post.

They've released most of the wagons and some of the MR Carriages and they did say it was going to be a long process due to the state of the tooling/etc. that they got back from whoever actually had them. Most of them didn't have any instructions and many were unidentifiable apparently.

This is alongside their normal 7mm range which is their priority.

https://slatersplastikard.com/carriages/4mmCarriages.php

I know they aren't toplights, but look at the quality of this. The 4mm kits were just as good.

7C08.jpg

But as we were saying plenty of Diagrams and sizes to choose from. But it would be a massive shame if somebody picked the types where there is a decent kit potentially being reissued.

Considering that Dapol are doing the 48 footers as the suburban stock I would expect them to do the same length corridor stock as well. So I think Slaters are safe.

Jason

Thanks for this Jason.

I messaged Slaters a couple of weeks ago enquiring how the project was getting on….. Im still waiting for a reply.

Maybe the idea to bring back any of the Toplights / Clerestories has been quietly dropped.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/12/2022 at 05:56, Neal Ball said:

Maybe the idea to bring back any of the Toplights / Clerestories has been quietly dropped.

I suspect you're right, but there is a tiny part of me that hopes they're just waiting to see what Dapol do with their models to work whether there's a market to reintroduce kits of different diagrams to fill the gaps, or even considering releasing sets of components/sides for anyone who wants to kitbash. As I said, I really suspect not. I just can't see it would be commercially viable. Slaters know that kitbuilding is alive and well in 7mm, but in 4mm it is a dying art. Nowadays almost anything, no matter how obscure, seems to be commissioned as short-run rtr. I enjooy kitbuilding, but I have and will continue to succumb to the trend. I could BUILD a carriage kit that unpainted would look (almost) as good as a Dapol rtr model, but I'm happy to admit that I certainly couldn't paint and line that kit to anywhere near the current rtr standard. And I'm not alone- modern rtr is decorated so beautifully you'd have to commission the megastars of commercial hand painting- the Ian Rathbone's of this world- to match that sort of finish. At what is that costing now? A little more than 49 quid a coach, I bet....!

Will

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Forward! said:

I suspect you're right, but there is a tiny part of me that hopes they're just waiting to see what Dapol do with their models to work whether there's a market to reintroduce kits of different diagrams to fill the gaps, or even considering releasing sets of components/sides for anyone who wants to kitbash. As I said, I really suspect not. I just can't see it would be commercially viable. Slaters know that kitbuilding is alive and well in 7mm, but in 4mm it is a dying art. Nowadays almost anything, no matter how obscure, seems to be commissioned as short-run rtr. I enjooy kitbuilding, but I have and will continue to succumb to the trend. I could BUILD a carriage kit that unpainted would look (almost) as good as a Dapol rtr model, but I'm happy to admit that I certainly couldn't paint and line that kit to anywhere near the current rtr standard. And I'm not alone- modern rtr is decorated so beautifully you'd have to commission the megastars of commercial hand painting- the Ian Rathbone's of this world- to match that sort of finish. At what is that costing now? A little more than 49 quid a coach, I bet....!

Will

I am certainly no expert… but recently I have enjoyed my Comet kit bashing…. Adding sides onto the old Airfix Centenary carriages to change the diagram.

Plus, a H57 and H25 again as kit bashing…. To my mind that’s the hard bit, the easier side is getting them painted and lined.

With the kit completed everything is sprayed with white primer, then the chocolate and cream. So far, so good.

They stand up very well next to RTR carriages….

Ok there are some mistakes, I’m not a professional modeller, but I am very pleased with the results.

The latest 3 carriages are a D120; C69 and H25 all sides added onto an existing body. 

Give it a go, you will surprise yourself.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Forward! said:

Will

Is it?

Is that why there is more kits being added all the time and long dead ranges are being resurrected?

Look at the kits that Brassmasters, PDK, High Level, Judith Edge, CSP, etc, are releasing and tell me kit building is dead.

Recent kits by PDK are S11, L12, D1, E1, 51XX, 61XX, 31XX, T14, K Class. With 14XX, A5, K2 and 46202 Princess Anne imminent. No worries about duplication with RTR there. I doubt they even batted an eyelid at the RTR versions of the Prairies, D1 or A5.

Nucast/K's has re-risen under Nucast Partners.

SE Finecast/Millholme/Stevenson is in good hands. 

Chivers is back.

ABS is returning soon.

Cooper Craft has got a new home. I expect Kirk and Blacksmith to follow, no idea who with though.

Most of the Slaters 4mm range is back in stock. Just missing a few coaches.

I don't think kit building has been healthier for decades and thankfully we no longer have most of the dross that used to be available. The misshapen lumps of whitemetal or resin are long gone.

Jason

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 month later...