GWR Toplights Poll  

156 members have voted

1. 1. What era Great Western / WR steam do you model?

• Pre 1920's
    • 1920 to 1939 - Shirtbutton era
    • WW2
    • Post WW2
    • Post Nationalisation WR steam
  2. 2. If R-T-R Toplight carriages were brought to the market you much would you spend?

3. 3. How many are you likely to buy?

4. 4. Given the plethora of types and how these changed over the years, which is important?

• 3rd class corridor stock
    • 3rd class non corridor
    • Brake 3rd (LH & RH) corridor stock
    • Brake 3rd non-corridor
    • Composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite corridor stock
    • Brake composite non corridor
    • 1st class corridor stock
    • Restaurant carriage
    • Full Brake van e.g.(Toplight K22 etc.)
    • Single slip
    • Double slip
  5. 5. Which actual stock would you buy?

• 48ft non corridor 3rd class C37
    • 48ft non corridor Brake 3rd D62
    • 48ft non corridor Composite E101
    • 57ft non corridor 1st class A15
    • 57ft non corridor Brake 3rd D49
    • 57ft non corridor Composite E89
    • 57ft corridor 3rd class C32
    • 57ft corridor composite E83/85
    • 57ft corridor Brake 3rd class E47
    • 56ft corridor Brake Composite E82
    • 70ft corridor 1st class A13
    • Restaurant carriage H16
    • Double slip carriage F21
    • Single slip carriage F15/16
    • Full Brake K22
    • 70ft 3rd class carriage C29
    • 70ft Brake 3rd carriage D51
    • 70ft composite carriage E84
    • C35 3rd class 57ft
    • D56 Brake 3rd 57ft
    • E98/E103 Composite

• RMweb Premium

Much as though anyone reading this thread loves the Toplights, I can't see them appearing in RTR. The priority area is probably the (admittedly somewhat clichéd) B-set, with E116, E129 and E140 being the prime candidates.

I fear that you are right Miss P, so if anyone has any Slaters corridor third kits that need a new home please let me know!

• Like 1

Much as though anyone reading this thread loves the Toplights, I can't see them appearing in RTR. The priority area is probably the (admittedly somewhat clichéd) B-set, with E116, E129 and E140 being the prime candidates.

Also E145 (as E140 but 9ft bogies) and E147 (of 1933-36)?

Chris Knowles-Thomas

Not surprising the Pannier moulds are knackered. I wonder how many thousands Mainline and now Bachmann have shifted from those tools! And it would be difficult to significantly improve on the Mainline moulding, which remains remarkable for its time. (Was it 1980 they first appeared?)

The 57xx/8750 Churchward/Collett pannier remains an essential though in the RTR oeuvre, and I can understand Bachmann being keen that Hornby (or anyone else) shouldn't steal their GWR cashcow.

I completed the Toplight poll today (first time I came across this thread) but there are some errors/missing better examples in the list of choices IMHO.

The corr brake third should, of course, be D47 (NOT E47). 

E83 is a 57ft corr brake compo (not a corr compo) and would be a better choice than the 56ft E82 as I'm sure a manufacturer would prefer one length of underframe (ie 57ft).

Corr compo E85 is 56ft (not 57ft) so a better choice for the reason stated above would be the 57ft E88 corr compo.

The slips are a bit confused!:-

F14 was a 57ft single ended slip

F15 was a 57ft double ended slip

F16 doesn't appear to exist?

F21 was 70ft - the only slips built to this length

Chris Knowles-Thomas

• RMweb Premium

Also E145 (as E140 but 9ft bogies) and E147 (of 1933-36)?

Chris Knowles-Thomas

That would be nice Chris, but with the best will in the world I can't foresee four different types (plus one variation) appearing in RTR. An updated E140/E145 is likely to be the best we can hope for.

Nothing to do with Toplights so I'll shut up now!

That would be nice Chris, but with the best will in the world I can't foresee four different types (plus one variation) appearing in RTR. An updated E140/E145 is likely to be the best we can hope for.

Nothing to do with Toplights so I'll shut up now!

I wasn't suggesting all these should all be made - merely suggesting that Miss Prism's list to pick one from could be expanded.  Personally if a new model was to appear I'd like an E147 but I'd also be happy to see a re-vamped E140/145.

Chris KT

• RMweb Premium

The problem with any consideration about which should be the next choice of R-T-R carriages is that the list could be huge and very diverse.

For a company that (tried) to standardise the locos, it seems there was no such consideration with the carriages!

The original list of Toplight suggestions came about after i trawled through the various books and came up with the 57ft and 48ft examples, mainly as they would be very different to any recent corridor stock offering. The list was soon added to.

As Miss Prism points out at the top of this page, due to the variety / complexity / changes over the years, the Toplight remain a slim choice. It would still be a nice choice though! But I bet if they did get into production there would be immense critics as the same carriage conceivably could have changed immeasurably through the years. The Toplight could have been plated over / panels plated etc. etc.

We now have votes from 110 members.

The problem with any consideration about which should be the next choice of R-T-R carriages is that the list could be huge and very diverse.

For a company that (tried) to standardise the locos, it seems there was no such consideration with the carriages!

The original list of Toplight suggestions came about after i trawled through the various books and came up with the 57ft and 48ft examples, mainly as they would be very different to any recent corridor stock offering. The list was soon added to.

As Miss Prism points out at the top of this page, due to the variety / complexity / changes over the years, the Toplight remain a slim choice. It would still be a nice choice though! But I bet if they did get into production there would be immense critics as the same carriage conceivably could have changed immeasurably through the years. The Toplight could have been plated over / panels plated etc. etc.

We now have votes from 110 members.

I agree Neal. I have been building my own and am well into double figures now with no two the same with four different bogies types.  My speculation is GWR South Wales stock as Swindon designed the current Hornby style 57ft Colletts using tracing paper - check out lofty's use of old collett's extended to 70ft. Any experiencd CAD designer could create the 70 footers from the 57 footer digital files with minimal effort.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

In an idle moment, I did a quickie tot up of prime candidate B-sets:

E116 - 7 pairs (introduced 1924)

E129 - 5 pairs (introduced 1926)

E140 - 41 pairs (introduced 1930)

E147 - approx 52 pairs (introduced 1933)  (with an additional 10 or so vehicles built as 'singles')
  • Like 1

Being realistic, I too consider the chances of RTR Toplight corridor stock is slim to non-existent. To all those members of RMweb who model post 1956 era, take a look through picture albums and play spot the toplight. Toplight coaches were in the main pre-grouping coaches and the paneled versions fared even worse. So while one or even two might be found in a train formation up to around 1953, they were  pretty slim thereafter even on secondary routes like the Cambrian mainline. Rule 1 would have to apply if modelling the popular maroon era. 

I was at the SVR afternoon. Their toplights were being shunted at Kidderminster. Very nice to see; the lined versions particularly are stunning and very visually different from the more commonly observed mark 1s.

An rtr toplight may not be perfect but Personally, per the Gate Stock thread, I’m of the view that something’s better than nothing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good draughtmans ruling pen, gloss enamel paint and loads of practice.

Thanks Coach, but was thinking more in terms of how you set out the size of the "panel " are they a standard size or were there variations particularly on brakes etc. Where there are large blank areas.

Thanks Coach, but was thinking more in terms of how you set out the size of the "panel " are they a standard size or were there variations particularly on brakes etc. Where there are large blank areas.

Going of photographs of scale drawings, I used to mark out the panels with small yellow dots on flush sided stock. The horizontal lining was then stopped shortly before the dots after which the vertical lining followed, then the corners were drawn in using a lining pen reserved for this particular job. 

At Lawrence Scale Models, there was little call for the all-brown coaching stock livery, but lined maroon was reasonably popular. For instance, we produced a lot of Dreadnaughts from Charlton etched zink sides and ends in maroon livery.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

In an idle moment, I did a quickie tot up of prime candidate B-sets:

E116 - 7 pairs (introduced 1924)
E129 - 5 pairs (introduced 1926)
E140 - 41 pairs (introduced 1930)
E147 - approx 52 pairs (introduced 1933)  (with an additional 10 or so vehicles built as 'singles')

How many E145?

Chris KT

• RMweb Premium

Going of photographs of scale drawings, I used to mark out the panels with small yellow dots on flush sided stock. The horizontal lining was then stopped shortly before the dots after which the vertical lining followed, then the corners were drawn in using a lining pen reserved for this particular job. 

At Lawrence Scale Models, there was little call for the all-brown coaching stock livery, but lined maroon was reasonably popular. For instance, we produced a lot of Dreadnaughts from Charlton etched zink sides and ends in maroon livery.

Coach, thanks for the info, I have a few of the David Geen kits to do in the one day pile and as I model the mid 20s,they will need painting and lining in one or the other. Some while back in one of the threads that you deleted, I remember that you used said that you don't use gold paint for lining, but I can't remember what colour it is that you use.

Coach, thanks for the info, I have a few of the David Geen kits to do in the one day pile and as I model the mid 20s,they will need painting and lining in one or the other. Some while back in one of the threads that you deleted, I remember that you used said that you don't use gold paint for lining, but I can't remember what colour it is that you use.

Gold is the very devil to line with. I have done it in 7mm on pre-war 'normal' Duchesses along with the adjacent red lining using Classic Gold, but to all intents and purposes, cream is actually better because it can be applied with consistent width lining. I use Humbrol gloss #7 with a touch of yellow added. For yellow lining I use Humbrol gloss yellow (forgotten the number). However, I should add that most lining is applied in cellulose and only the corners are executed in enamel.

• RMweb Premium

Gold is the very devil to line with. I have done it in 7mm on pre-war 'normal' Duchesses along with the adjacent red lining using Classic Gold, but to all intents and purposes, cream is actually better because it can be applied with consistent width lining. I use Humbrol gloss #7 with a touch of yellow added. For yellow lining I use Humbrol gloss yellow (forgotten the number). However, I should add that most lining is applied in cellulose and only the corners are executed in enamel.

Thanks Coach.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A year down the line from when this was first launched. So far we have 114 votes, 170 replies and some 6000 views.

Whilst the possibility of an rtr Toplight might be fraught with issues, there remains the desire for more variety with our GWR rolling stock.

Who knows, maybe the reason Bachmann have withdrawn their GWR carriages is to bring us something up to 2018 standards. Here’s hoping!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A year down the line from when this was first launched. So far we have 114 votes, 170 replies and some 6000 views.

Whilst the possibility of an rtr Toplight might be fraught with issues, there remains the desire for more variety with our GWR rolling stock.

Who knows, maybe the reason Bachmann have withdrawn their GWR carriages is to bring us something up to 2018 standards. Here’s hoping!

At the rate that Bachmann is increasing their carriage prices, it'll be 60 pounds per coach.

• RMweb Premium

At the rate that Bachmann is increasing their carriage prices, it'll be 60 pounds per coach.

That would make a rake or two very expensive, but we are already seeing carriages nudging that way already.

When you consider the new Dapol 61xx or Mogul will be £300 odd DCC sound fitted and Bachmann Mk2 carriages at @£70 - £60 almost looks like a bargain!

• RMweb Premium

That would make a rake or two very expensive, but we are already seeing carriages nudging that way already.

When you consider the new Dapol 61xx or Mogul will be £300 odd DCC sound fitted and Bachmann Mk2 carriages at @£70 - £60 almost looks like a bargain!

I meant to say 100 pound.