Kylestrome’s 4mm Workbench

• RMweb Premium

I took some more photos while working on the second Dogfish kit.

Dogfish-4.jpg.c20e9da82cd34839f971cb337b8a6cb1.jpg

Dogfish-5.jpg.b06a5cdf6f4e3205185936d2f6b88321.jpg
The first two crossmembers made from Evergreen 2.0 x 3.2mm plus 2.0 x 0.75mm strips laminated together.

Dogfish-6.jpg.938fa7f54bf7d0afd5b05446cfd81a8b.jpg
The end members held in position by rectangles of styrene which will also locate the couplers at the right height.

Dogfish-7.jpg.1a627f7575ed21bf45da076b80201e39.jpg
Glueing on the hopper while checking for height and level. The bottom shute has packing pieces applied each end, which make it a tight fit between the cross members and therefore easier to assemble.

David

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m still doggedly working away at the Dogfish.

It’s another one of those two-steps-forward, one-step-back jobs. Several pieces have been applied, taken off because of wrong alignment or position, and then re-done. The one consolation is that the lessons learned on the one wagon can then be applied to the second.

Dogfish-8.jpg.af41e71a01fd1d997a32a34d73640fd7.jpg

Dogfish-9.jpg.884d4bbe56f1546f2cfde86a1c787b76.jpg

Dogfish-10.jpg.0f5a7ee9bbfc49c3fa287b56f7a845d2.jpg

I’m at the stage where all the plastic details are on, which leaves just the metal parts to be made and fitted such as handrails, operating wheels, footboards, etc.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Analogue Fun

Way back in 1988 I bought a P4 converted Wrenn Class 20 off Ian Futers which he had used on his inspirational ‘Lochside’ layout. At the time, I was a dyed-in-the-wool 2mm finescale modeller so this was my first step on a very slippery slope into 4mm modelling. Almost immediately I made a start on ‘refining’ the body and then got distracted by other projects.

WrennClass20-1.jpg.cf583614922d00f0eaf4ec9a6aefb94d.jpg

WrennClass20-2.jpg.6d717215cc645a6c9f9aaa2efd648a58.jpg

WrennClass20-3.jpg.a1138009ddd593cb50672b198ab36901.jpg

I also made some rather radical changes to the chassis (as can be seen in the photos below), which involved modifying & disabling the original motor and fitting a Mashima motor driving through an Exactoscale reduction gearbox via a flexible drive shaft. All very hi-tech back then but it runs very smoothly even by today's standards.

WrennClass20-4.jpg.857a671965afe588d6fbed540d108196.jpg

WrennClass20-5.jpg.c86336fc43a88953cd9bfffd433ac918.jpg

Having just sent my Lenz Digital controller off for a software update, I decided to dig out this only analogue loco and actually complete it after all these years! I plan to finish it as 20048 which is the only early disc code Class 20 I can find that worked on the West Highland, being in use at Fort William in 1985.

David

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Is that the original Ian Futers loco? I remember drooling over that on Lochside, seeing a weathered blue diesel at an exhibition was a rarity back then! Looks like you're doing some fine work and giving it the respect it deserves. 👍

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Is that the original Ian Futers loco? I remember drooling over that on Lochside, seeing a weathered blue diesel at an exhibition was a rarity back then! Looks like you're doing some fine work and giving it the respect it deserves. 👍

It is indeed. That paint took a bit of effort to get off. As I remember it, Ian's way of weathering was to paint everything black and then wipe most of off again!

As it now stands, it needs a good scrub and then a coat of primer.

There's life in it yet. 😉

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Oh My Goodness!!

What a wonderful loco to have in your collection. I never saw Ian’s Lochside layout but his articles in Railway Modeller about the layout, the locos, the renumbering and the weathering back in 1981 was the moment I came of age. The track on the train set was taken up, the 8x4 chipboard baseboard was cut in half and I started my first model railway. My green class 25 was repainted blue and an Eastfield number applied. It was painted black and rubbed off again as Ian taught us. This really started my modelling interest and more importantly modelling the West Highland. That loco will be so iconic to many and how fitting that it’s with you now and getting a second lease of life as Kylestrome has been an inspiration since I’ve started my Mallaig layout. Hopefully we’ll get to see a piccy or two of her on your layout. 
Fantastic 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Reassuringly retro' - I like the chunky bearings on the wormshafts. The Wrenn body looks rather good, especially with your titivations. I rather like 20s, which is why I have one - a Scottish one, which is about as far removed from the Western Section of the Southern as it's possible to get. That one is a simple Bachmann conversion, however, much less interesting.

Adam

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Adam said:

I like the chunky bearings on the wormshafts.

The worm shaft is actually rather cleverly engineered. There is a hardened steel ball that bears on one end of the shaft which allows one to adjust it for minimal end-play using the large nut.

David

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

The worm shaft is actually rather cleverly engineered. There is a hardened steel ball that bears on one end of the shaft which allows one to adjust it for minimal end-play using the large nut.

David

An excellent feature of Hornby Dublo 'proper' engineering!

..... and then there was the adjustable, magnetic shunt on the Standard 2-6-4T - apparently intended to assist slow running for shunting purposes.

My only quibble with my Dublo locos was with the Ringfield Stanier 2-8-0; this emitted a painful screeching, and lost power, after a short period of running. I strongly suspect that the clearance between the ring magnet and the motor windings was so tight that, when the windings heated and expanded, they rubbed on the inside of the magnet. If so, an example of HD design clearances being TOO precise.

I eventually remotored the model with a Pittman motor - which sorted the problem once and for all!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Hello David, just found your thread and read through it; as others have said, some relaly beautiful and stunningly well made modelling, very inspirational! Thank you for posting and for the really excellent photography, which makes admiring the modelling even more pleasurable!

Looking forward to the next installments...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Watching with interest David.

I too remember Ian”s Lochside (still have the article!) and how it was finally something I could relate to in the Railway Modeller mag.

I look forward to see how you breathe new life into it and see it on your inspirational layout 👍

• RMweb Premium

Pure Nostalgia

RM-Lochside.jpg.e34afea0bcabfdf405d45e4a9bea3039.jpg

Like so many others, it would seem, this layout was the main inspiration for all the modelling I have done since reading about it in Railway Modeller. The strange thing is that I never saw the actual layout. 🤔

David

Edited by Kylestrome
Clarity
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4

Thanks for posting pics from the article David. My copy is long since lost although I do have the second part in the 1981 yearbook that I acquired a few years ago. It must be 35 years or so since I’ve seen those photos. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2022 at 18:11, Kylestrome said:

I took some more photos while working on the second Dogfish kit.

Dogfish-4.jpg.c20e9da82cd34839f971cb337b8a6cb1.jpg

Dogfish-5.jpg.b06a5cdf6f4e3205185936d2f6b88321.jpg
The first two crossmembers made from Evergreen 2.0 x 3.2mm plus 2.0 x 0.75mm strips laminated together.

Dogfish-6.jpg.938fa7f54bf7d0afd5b05446cfd81a8b.jpg
The end members held in position by rectangles of styrene which will also locate the couplers at the right height.

Dogfish-7.jpg.1a627f7575ed21bf45da076b80201e39.jpg
Glueing on the hopper while checking for height and level. The bottom shute has packing pieces applied each end, which make it a tight fit between the cross members and therefore easier to assemble.

David

Hi David,

are you able to say how you established the distance between the solebars for the replacement cross members allowing for the bearings and a 26.5mm axle I assume?

sorry if that seems a basic question

thanks 

Andy 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, aasmall said:

the distance between the solebars for the replacement cross members

The new cross members are a straight replacement for the kit parts. In other words, they are the same width. The main reason for making new parts is to enable a square and strongly constructed underframe.

• Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

The new cross members are a straight replacement for the kit parts. In other words, they are the same width. The main reason for making new parts is to enable a square and strongly constructed underframe.

Thanks David. Much appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An RTR Quickie

Rather late in the day I’ve realised that Kinlochmore needs more open wagons. As I only have one more unmade kit left I decided to go for the quick and easy solution of ordering a Bachmann 13T Steel Open. This is the first RTR short wheelbase wagon I have bought and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. Compared to what was available in the eighties, which prompted my preference for making kits, it is on another level.

P8062533.jpg.18711ac514bf43e61f59e5674f784bb3.jpg

Some of the details are metal, including door spring and safety loops, but curiously there are no brake cross rods. I’ve made these from 0.5mm wire, sheathed with electrical wire insulation, fitted into holes drilled into the backs of the brake blocks. It was necessary to widen the wheel cutouts to accommodate P4 wheels and I have also cut slots in the solid headstocks for fitting the Dingham couplings.

P8062496.jpg.e659ae88d4c93f979c85f4e671c50171.jpg

P8062528.jpg.b0cf519f803d451f551f179e602aeec0.jpg

I’ve fitted my usual lead sheet false floor, with scribed planking, to bring the weight up to 50 grams. In the photo above you can see the roll of 1mm thick lead sheet that I bought online from a roofing supplier. There's enough there to keep me going for a while ...

It should be mentioned that after working with lead you should always give your hands a thorough scrubbing for reasons of safety.

I don’t think I’ve ever finished a wagon this quickly (within 24hrs of receiving it) before. I will probably replace some of the lettering with something finer and then it'll get a dose of weathering.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

P8062528.jpg.b0cf519f803d451f551f179e602aeec0.jpg

I’ve fitted my usual lead sheet false floor, with scribed planking, to bring the weight up to 50 grams. In the photo above you can see the roll of 1mm thick lead sheet that I bought online from a roofing supplier. There's enough there to keep me going for a while ...

It should be mentioned that after working with lead you should always give your hands a thorough scrubbing for reasons of safety.

I don’t think I’ve ever finished a wagon this quickly (within 24hrs of receiving it) before. I will probably replace some of the lettering with something finer and then it'll get a dose of weathering.

David

Hello David, fitting a false lead floor with scribed planking: brilliant idea!

How do you / did you treat and finish the lead afterwards though? It looks superb, like old, greyish timber planking: is that it's final finish?

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

How do you / did you treat and finish the lead afterwards though? It looks superb, like old, greyish timber planking: is that it's final finish?

That's just a trick of the light! 😄

I usually paint floors in old, dry and dirty wood colours, but this wagon will probably get a tarpaulin covered load as it's intended for aluminium ingot transport.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

BRT Ex-Grain Hoppers

Having finished the BRT ‘whisky’ grain hoppers I decided to carry on and build some more of the same, but different. At some point in their history some of these wagons were converted to pedestal coil spring suspension and were then used for alumina traffic. In order to model these wagons I have made a start on building the underframes from scratch.

P8132579.jpg.8bc96f6d5720c4f44dfd605838a81bd8.jpg

The main elements are styrene sheet, Evergreen styrene channel, Comet Models ‘W-irons’ and the pedestal mouldings that are available separately from Cambrian Models.

P8132580.jpg.b43052921c9b13e55b452f4bb4a01aaa.jpg

Here is the basic chassis, from 40 thou. Sheet, with some cut down 2mm screws holding things together. Because the w-irons are unconventionally fitted to the top, there are additions of 10 thou. sheet in order to provide a level top surface. The w-irons fit into notches filed in the edges of the chassis plate so that they don’t cause the sole bars to bulge when they are glued on.

P8152584.jpg.74e0404c8b887257056a921bf222a634.jpg

Here are the underframes with solebars from Evergreen 3mm channel and headstocks laminated from 4 pieces of 0,75mm x 1,5mm Evergreen section. The pedestal mouldings have been epoxied to the w-irons and glued to the solebars with solvent. As is my normal practice, the axles have had their pinpoints blunted slightly, which allows a bit of 'slop' in the bearings and results in reliable running without the faff of springing or compensation.

Next things to do are the hopper shutes and brake details.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Two's company, three's a crowd

The BRT hoppers have multiplied and are now receiving all the underneath details. There's nothing much different to the previous two that I've made except that now I'm taking photos at various stages. It's all fiddly details with some trial and error involved with establishing the correct shapes of some parts.

P8172589.jpg.8863f47226c5665427987c2ea57c3472.jpg

Here the lower sections of the hoppers are taking shape. The brakes are surplus parts from Parkside kits, trimmed to fit.

P8172592.jpg.1369319c6c61893f9c11f52133a54905.jpg

P8192597.jpg.f4c32aca7fef721a9332b1c1015cfc72.jpg

Various details made from 2mm scale bullhead rail, 1mm L-section brass, 0,45mm Ø wire and electrical wire sleeving (the brown bits). The awkward looking shapes at the bottom are the beginnings of the brake lever brackets, in 15 thou styrene sheet. They're a bit flimsy but will get some strengthening pieces behind them.

David

PS. Sorry for the slight lack of continuity in the photos. 🙄

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1