Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

West Highland Line V4, a 1980's West Highland Line layout

young37215

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if if they would be more interested if it was suggested them as an actual product rather than as spares. However, I agree with Rob that they would probably be relatively expensive.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, meanach said:

There was a chap I spoke to on here, possibly 10 years ago (!!) who told me of a method of making a head light.  He used a small led sat inside a brass bearing cup (as used for Alan Gibson wheels) drilled out in the centre to allow the wire to pass. He then painted the inside of the cup and used glue and glaze over the led and cup. 

I did contact Bachmann a couple of months back for some spares. They said that it would be some time before they got spares through for the new tool class 37s. 

Accurascale responded on here to an enquiry regarding class 37 spares. They stated that it would not be economically viable to carry spares at this time. 

Thanks Ian, that seems to rule out any point in asking the question of either manufacturer.

I don't see why a simple LED and some form of bezel can not be used with numerous variations of each advertised for just few pence on Ebay. A small hole drilled through the front of the nose creates the location of the light and bezel. The LED is glued into the bezel and the bezel is glued into the hole in the nose. The LED is connected to the same power supply used for the directional headcode so it only illuminates in the direction of travel. The power supply should be easy enough to tap into, presumably just a couple of solder joints required and all hidden away behind the nose. 

To understand what is involved better I need to seperate the bodyshell and chassis from 37039 to see how it was done and measure the components used. I'll probably do the same with Accurascale's 37027 where I am sure the concept is much the same. 

A couple of questions arise:

what is the colour of the typical 1980 SCR headlight?  

what voltage powers the headcode lights on a Bachmann class 37?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2023 at 07:39, young37215 said:

Thanks Ian, that seems to rule out any point in asking the question of either manufacturer.

I don't see why a simple LED and some form of bezel can not be used with numerous variations of each advertised for just few pence on Ebay. A small hole drilled through the front of the nose creates the location of the light and bezel. The LED is glued into the bezel and the bezel is glued into the hole in the nose. The LED is connected to the same power supply used for the directional headcode so it only illuminates in the direction of travel. The power supply should be easy enough to tap into, presumably just a couple of solder joints required and all hidden away behind the nose. 

To understand what is involved better I need to seperate the bodyshell and chassis from 37039 to see how it was done and measure the components used. I'll probably do the same with Accurascale's 37027 where I am sure the concept is much the same. 

A couple of questions arise:

what is the colour of the typical 1980 SCR headlight?  

what voltage powers the headcode lights on a Bachmann class 37?

Rob,

Were these car type headlights turned on during daylight hours? If not, might you get away with a non working version?

If you do want them to work, I’d have thought they were incandescent, so a warm white. And they will be powered off the 12v circuit with a resistor. Try a few different resistors until you’re happy - you can get a box with loads of different ones dirt cheap on eBay. 

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The lights don't seem to have been turned on during the day - or even the gloaming: picture of 37022 on Spannerman's Flickr thread at Crianlarich in May 1984 with discernible glow from the headcode markers and nothing from the headlight: 

37022 at Crianlarich on The Skirl O The Pipes 4 railtour

Still, if you want two headlights, I have an Accurascale 37043 I've been trying to get rid of for months. You could take the headlight off, fit it to a Bachmann 37 and bin the A/S loco... 😉 

I note that although Bachmann have released no other spares for the new 37 well over a year after release, they have the cheek to put the dreadful snowploughs on sale. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Most of the pictorial evidence of 37014 on Flickr shows the headlight off during the daytime although there are some with it clearly on. I assume that the headlight on/off was a driver choice, the rationale behind them was improved night time visibility presumably through a switch in the cab. If it can be done simply in model form then I prefer the option of a working headlight, much as with the headcode. Not only do I like the appearance but I find it helpful when operating to be able to see the direction that the loco will travel and one day I aim to create the option of winter running where lights will be required. 

I will get around to dismantling my existing headlight fitted locos to see how they work. That said I do have a non working jewel styled light that might get used if the working option looks to complicated.

Headlight on 

37014 at Ardmore Crossing

Headlight off

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

37017 was an early headlight fitted 37 spending the early 1980's flitting between Inverness and Eastfield depots where the former added headlights in 1982. When I bought my version of 37017 it came with working headlights although they were not very robust. One quickly stopped working and I decided to remove the other before it fell off leaving the wiring in place. I planned to reinstate the headlights but without being clear on what was required I had not got around to it. My recent wittering about headlights got me thinking and so I removed the loco bodyshell to see what had been done. As I suspected wiring had been attached to the headcode terminals and a resistor fitted. It all looks rather fiddly and I decided that I would settle for the simple option of fitting the non working jewel lamps to see how they looked. I drilled a 2mm hole to drop the bezel into and fixed it in place with a dab of superglue. My initial reaction is positive, I will run the loco like this for a while to see how I feel about the non working headlamp. At the very least I have ticked one item off of the to do list.

Revised wiring of the nose end to facilitate a headlight, note part of the lighting board has been cut down to allow the wires to fit in

181123(1).JPG.3fbea1f6fac0c5fc4d927ba684355562.JPG

Original wiring still in place but I chose to remove it so I could fit the jewel lamps

181123(3).JPG.b3cb9bdf6d5163a406ae197be922b513.JPG

2mm hole drilled

181123(2).JPG.d676a48962d0c4af74efed15742d9c38.JPG

Bezel and jewel headlight fitted

181123(5).JPG.5e1681fc24cc2304f6d827dadea0a66c.JPG

Edited by young37215
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that the jewelled light looks to be a very good solution for the locos that you wish to retro fit with 'headlights' (I'd already decided that this would be my approach in 'N' gauge, or maybe even a pin head will suffice.)

As you already have several locos fitted with working headlights I'm sure that they can be rostered into any night time or misty day photos that you may wish to take.

Can I ask where the 'jewels' came from, please Rob ? ..... hopefully not from Mrs @young37215 's wedding ring !!

Regards,

Ian.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 03060 said:

I think that the jewelled light looks to be a very good solution for the locos that you wish to retro fit with 'headlights' (I'd already decided that this would be my approach in 'N' gauge, or maybe even a pin head will suffice.)

As you already have several locos fitted with working headlights I'm sure that they can be rostered into any night time or misty day photos that you may wish to take.

Can I ask where the 'jewels' came from, please Rob ? ..... hopefully not from Mrs @young37215 's wedding ring !!

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian

Rest assured Mrs Young's jewellery is intact, the jewel came with another loco purchased on Ebay some while ago which means I have no idea of its origins; sorry.  Unsurprisingly 37017 got a run out yesterday working light engine to Ardlui to collect a rake of Dogfish required for the weekends engineering activities. I took the picture after running so the power was off and the headcode lights were out but the jewel headlight still gives the impression of being illuminated.

181123(9).JPG.c9f94589a4f041d8a92bdeae788c2cd9.JPG

181123(8).JPG.99b6348d0dd0fd896bc663cdac87b7ec.JPG

181123(7).JPG.c7293a7987ed6f76a4131a0294abcf88.JPG

181123(6).JPG.18237b2a91d10f3f234eed5c0589db04.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have a bag of jewels that I obtained a few years back. They are the ones I used on 37033 (photo c/o Doug) and Jon Gavin used on 114. They are the correct diameter. If you want a few I can bring them to Warley next Sunday . Ian 

7518871568_IMG_0489.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, meanach said:

I have a bag of jewels that I obtained a few years back. They are the ones I used on 37033 (photo c/o Doug) and Jon Gavin used on 114. They are the correct diameter. If you want a few I can bring them to Warley next Sunday . Ian 

7518871568_IMG_0489.jpeg

Can you remember where you got them Ian?

I used a jewel for one of my simple N6.5mm 3D printed electric loco headlight. As I recall, it came from ebay, where there seems still to be a wide range of designs available, sold for example as 'nose stud jewels' 

Ladies 2

It might take a little searching to find the right size / bezel design for what you need, but they are inexpensive, e.g. these seem to come in sizes between 1mm and 3mm.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283915814423?hash=item421ab38617:g:Iy8AAOSwcN9e59-q&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4GM2bMEsFNejSs8qBsXz9RmjHJCJGf1bRdqCXKyojQnY1B%2BNlDRPMhoKfYaTnbhbgIi3Df4S6yW3moe%2F%2BP%2Ftpghz7aNPmAQTMnuXzoZt%2F96zeMxdSwhXBtOx0R1exV0EQEYwVrNZoaGTsM67HW7ZlcjuORX4ZdfsbAhG5t05%2FMF9VmS0z87GGadw1f7F1dh6lLJpUDnMs2HDu%2FHfBcZejr6tZ1fv%2F%2F2wU9z6bMUE5FICODc%2BWQpek59Doybfile7qbErF0KIT6tTwEx6bB3AxNwzMhMbIkWLUOY%2BEnCWZ5r6|tkp%3ABk9SR-bcj5D-Yg

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

In a similar vein, I've just got this pack from Hobbycraft for £1, they have quite a variety of different packs available all for under £2.50, some more 'dazzling' than others so I went for a slightly more subdued 'glass' look. At approx. 2 and 3mm dia they may or may not still be too big for my N gauge locos, I will have to see but for a quid it seemed silly not to buy them to at least try.

IMG_6616.jpeg.182b7093f75f3ae4c18d211cbb4e4ebd.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, Dunalastair said:

I used a jewel for one of my simple N6.5mm 3D printed electric loco headlight. As I recall, it came from ebay, where there seems still to be a wide range of designs available, sold for example as 'nose stud jewels' 

Ladies 2

It might take a little searching to find the right size / bezel design for what you need, but they are inexpensive, e.g. these seem to come in sizes between 1mm and 3mm.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283915814423?hash=item421ab38617:g:Iy8AAOSwcN9e59-q&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4GM2bMEsFNejSs8qBsXz9RmjHJCJGf1bRdqCXKyojQnY1B%2BNlDRPMhoKfYaTnbhbgIi3Df4S6yW3moe%2F%2BP%2Ftpghz7aNPmAQTMnuXzoZt%2F96zeMxdSwhXBtOx0R1exV0EQEYwVrNZoaGTsM67HW7ZlcjuORX4ZdfsbAhG5t05%2FMF9VmS0z87GGadw1f7F1dh6lLJpUDnMs2HDu%2FHfBcZejr6tZ1fv%2F%2F2wU9z6bMUE5FICODc%2BWQpek59Doybfile7qbErF0KIT6tTwEx6bB3AxNwzMhMbIkWLUOY%2BEnCWZ5r6|tkp%3ABk9SR-bcj5D-Yg

Thinking back to the late 80s when my Cortina had a pair of  ‘car’ style headlamps mounted on the front bumper I reckon they were about 6” diameter so a 2mm jewel would be perfect but I wouldn’t imagine a 3mm would look over scale. Obviously for Ian @03060 in N that would be half the size.

Thanks @Dunalastair for the pointer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thinking back to the late 80s when my Cortina had a pair of  ‘car’ style headlamps mounted on the front bumper I reckon they were about 6” diameter so a 2mm jewel would be perfect but I wouldn’t imagine a 3mm would look over scale. Obviously for Ian @03060 in N that would be half the size.

Thanks @Dunalastair for the pointer.

The old standard 'sealed beam' type car headlamps were either 5 3/4" or 7" diameter - I'd imagine they'd have used the latter for a loco, probably from the nearest motor factors to the depot! (or lorry-bits supplier as I'd imagine they'd need to be 24v rather than the 12v used in most cars?)

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Module00 said:

Good evening,

I'm not so convinced of the result of jewel instead of light. 
I think we see the cuts too much. 

have a good evening. 

I see your point @Module00 but we must realise we are not 1:76 figures ourselves. Will it be so obvious? The Accurascale headlamp is so subtle in daylight and it would appear that it was only used in the dark hours. Do you mean the cuts of the glass and not the short cuts? Short cuts I mean by as we say ‘turning a blind eye’ as in ignoring they are jewels and not factory fitted LEDs? I hope my waffle translates, to both French 🇫🇷 and English 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿. Please contact me direct for a Welsh/Cymraeg version.

My opinion, I like the nose studs. Two reasons, a they have the shroud/bezel already attached and b, for every nose stud affixed to a 4mm scale 37 is one

less affixed to a pretty nose! Win win.

Definately something I myself will be considering as I’m pretty OCD on period, ie 03/83 to 07/83 I don’t actually need to fit to many of my fleet. Annoyingly I already have 012 with a lamp it shouldn’t have and 039 looking wantonly at it. I don’t pursess the relevant sized goolies to tackle the swap.

Aware that this conversation is trampling all over Rob’s thread in his absence I apologise to him and feel sure he’ll get home, log on and panic that he left the back door unlocked!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I can live with the jewel headlamp but will not be installing any more as I prefer the working version like the one installed on 37039 which I consider superior. The headlamp was an early to mid 1980's introduction on the Eastfield locos so the 4 that I now have is an acceptable number for my time window.  

Unfortunately I am down to 3 headlamp locos at present because yesterday 37027 stopped working. When I attempted to move it, it simply sat on the layout making a ticking sound and refused to respond to the controller. There are no signs of damage and I have not changed anything that could have obviously caused the problem so I have contacted Accurascale for guidance. I'm guessing that other than returning the loco for inspection there is not much that can be done. 

Contrasting headlights

221123(1).JPG.e64d3df01b6661abd9c6f23aa2a746ea.JPG

221123(2).JPG.5157336b1b67ae2f35777e6e08df7872.JPG

221123(4).JPG.14b2a7d5e290c30414e458c75c0f0bf3.JPG

221123(3).JPG.a6d8295f3ce3fc38276caa73aa26967a.JPG

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Its good to see your 37,s they look very like the real thing  ,the last photo you published  was excellent and really made me think of the West Highland in all its glory.  Your layout is a very good representation of the line and your scenery has inspired me to rip up some of mine and try your techniques thanks . Keep up the work I shall be following your activities.Chris 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

In the past I have looked at quite a few model car after market websites and have found a number of headlights and thought ‘wow,  that’s perfect’.  Then I checked the scale.  They don’t seem to produce stuff in anything close to 1/76, 4mm or whatever you want to call it. 

Could I live with something a bit over scale? I might order a pack (they are only a few pounds) and see how they look.

• Like 2

On 21/11/2023 at 23:47, mallaig1983 said:

I see your point @Module00 but we must realise we are not 1:76 figures ourselves. Will it be so obvious? The Accurascale headlamp is so subtle in daylight and it would appear that it was only used in the dark hours. Do you mean the cuts of the glass and not the short cuts? Short cuts I mean by as we say ‘turning a blind eye’ as in ignoring they are jewels and not factory fitted LEDs? I hope my waffle translates, to both French 🇫🇷 and English 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿. Please contact me direct for a Welsh/Cymraeg version.

Hello, I am realy sorry but I don’t understand if all your text concern my comment or only the start it's not easy when it's not your mother tongue. I hope I don't bore you with my level of English. This complicates my understanding.

maybe you are the author of the mallaig layout on Youtube? I really like your layout, it's one of my favorites on Youtube. 🤩

Sorry for Rob if I have disturbed the thread… 🫣

Edited by Module00
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, BoD said:

In the past I have looked at quite a few model car after market websites and have found a number of headlights and thought ‘wow,  that’s perfect’.  Then I checked the scale.  They don’t seem to produce stuff in anything close to 1/76, 4mm or whatever you want to call it. 

Could I live with something a bit over scale? I might order a pack (they are only a few pounds) and see how they look.

I have not measured the light in 37039 but fancy it is more 2mm than 3mm whereas the jewel is more like 3mm. Irrespective of their size, the headlamp on 37039 looks superior to me which is one of several reasons I doubt that I will use any more of the jewels.

I am taking more time to decide on the mountain pass area than I anticipated because it still does not feel how I want. The answer to the question 'what do you want' is proving a challenge, I can't put my finger on it just yet and am mulling it over before committing to anything. In the meantime I have time available to play trains instead and to take a few pictures. First up is 37049 heading north on departure from Crianlarich with 7D12, the 12.50 from Mossend to Corpach.

231123(2).JPG.4c29918775d30f8a5b039728282671f8.JPG

231123(1).JPG.93feb6fd2ca394d81fb7d9c2f95330e8.JPG

231123(4).JPG.5de55864c7efb18d255fc06743f34382.JPG

231123(5).JPG.2add09cad5bd2fa7ccf76c67ef7b7ad0.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Spot the anomally?, 37027 departs Crianlarich with 1T45 12.45 Malliag to Glasgow. 

A couple of days ago I reported that 37027 had an electrical problem causing it to fail and was returning to Accurascale for repair. How then can it be running now? The answer is I bought 2 of Accurascale's 37027 with a view to renumbering one to 37022. On the basis that I have done nothing relating to the renumbering yet, it was a simple like for like swap.   

231123(11).JPG.d6ddad37a0d044225f702f0042d2564d.JPG

231123(12).JPG.fa242c732bd1ef3067d92d35109ce44c.JPG

231123(14).JPG.931ea0dd3a7078076bbe1efc8aaa5502.JPG

231123(15).JPG.8e61cbe351525bcf1c5f1cfe229e8b77.JPG

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

On 03/11/2023 at 06:54, young37215 said:

Moving on I managed to get some work done whilst watching the rain yesterday. Although a filthy day we were fortunate having seen some of the flooding and upheavel elsewhere, in getting off lightly. I glued about 2M of insulation board down and added plaster cloth to create the landscape to the immediate west of Arrochar which dried quickly allowing me to splash some 30 year old brown poster paint over it. Initial reaction is the end result looks OK although I still need to get my head around how this area will also tie into the upper level. I think what I have done is a step forward and even managed to remember to cover the track before laying the plaster cloth which meant that the track bed did not get contaminated. 

The first metre of landscape begins to take shape

021123(3).JPG.e45907a7df7611780715c2e323c218f7.JPG

Looking north, the height will get raised in time 

021123(6).JPG.217d898a7f3c13179789daff2d65ce26.JPG

The landscape to the southern end of the platform gets a coat of paint

021123(8).JPG.ac7d19ad3a74e76d777c2781cbf658b4.JPG

Looking south the profile of the mountainside begins to take shape.

021123(10).JPG.efe3d681fe1eeea7a7775058f4af9c3b.JPG

Interested in the building colour scheme. Do you know when WHL buildings changed from the 2 tone green seen on NBR line to what you have on your layout?