Hornby Warship going cheap

Phil47gwr

is there any reason why I shouldn't buy?

There are many, too many to list but what bothers me may not bother you. It's an old Lima tooling which wasn't great when it was new. If you want a green Warship, Bachmann's recent issue is of a much higher standard - http://www.hattons.co.uk/182154/Bachmann_Branchline_32_069_Class_43_Warship_D841_Roebuck_in_BR_green/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

What Andy says...

However, if you are on a budget and the new Bachmann Class 43 is beyond yours, the Hornby Railroad model does have a good mechanism and has the potential to be improved significantly with detailing parts. There are posts elsewhere on RMWeb that show what can be done.

• RMweb Premium

At £39 it's about a third of the price of the Bachmann one. Makes you wonder how they can do it, coming in at less than some coaches! As has been pointed out the body is basically a 1979 Lima one , although Hornby have updated the running mechanism with a 5 pole motor . I've see YouTube reviews of it and people are very happy with running qualities and pulling power. The decoration is a bit basic, especially the head codes . But if you don't have a craving for ultimate detail then it looks perfectly OK. Hard to pick up detail when 2 feet away and it's whizzing round a layout.

• RMweb Gold

IMHO it's a good model to 'have a go at' if you want to practice modelling skills. Here's an old Lima one in plain green treated to some T-Cut some light weathering on the grilles, almost flush glazing on the side windows, plus new crests, nameplates and headcode panels.

rev%20Lima%20Warship%20a_zpsaevxzgcr.jpg

It still has the hideous coupling on front for now, but here's one I did earlier as they say, which has some buffer beam detail added (yes I know I need to re-do the cabside numbers).

rev%20Lima%20Warship%20b_zpsbwn8btgg.jpg

IMHO it's a good model to 'have a go at' if you want to practice modelling skills. Here's an old Lima one in plain green treated to some T-Cut some light weathering on the grilles, almost flush glazing on the side windows, plus new crests, nameplates and headcode panels.

It still has the hideous coupling on front for now, but here's one I did earlier as they say, which has some buffer beam detail added (yes I know I need to re-do the cabside numbers).

Those pictures make the Hattons offer very tempting- £39 is not £120 plus: I need some cheaper locos for my grandson to [play with] operate when he visits, and, as you say, something to 'have a go at'

Edit: plus I need something to pull the 14 (!) MK1 coaches I've acquired in the last few months (despite being a GWR modeller). Oops......

• RMweb Gold

The second one (sorry - can't read the number) shows what a big difference removing a coupling and fitting some pipework makes. The open engine room window also adds life to it. 

• RMweb Premium

Unless people have a real aversion to s/h then I'd also recommend the older Bachmann Warship which despite being superseded remains an excellent model and can be found for not much more than the Limby model.

I got the previous one (R3282 "Thruster" in the maroon livery) just to accompany Olton Hall, which I had modified to the extend of removing the "Great Western" lettering from the tender and substituting a late BR crest.

The Hornby Warships are ok as layout fodder and experimental targets, and both Thruster and Benbow have easily removed pocketed couplings, rather than the old chunky Lima effort illustrated above so they look rather better. They are also DCC ready, which you won't find in older s/h examples and the motors are better too. At £40 they're a third of the cost of a new Bachmann Warship so its a bit pointless to say "Buy a Bachmann, they're more accurate", they should be at that price!

Archived