Industrial loco's in East Anglia

russ p

• RMweb Gold

I'm trying to think of any industrial diesels that worked in East Anglia in the 1960s

I'd love to add a sentinel or a Janus to my collection but can't think of anywhere that ran diesels in the 60s

Most of the docks had BR loco's on them

Cantley sugar beat factory between Norwich and Reedham had some diesels which looked like the sentinel type center cab ones. Sorry I'm not very up on diesels but I remember seeing them in the 1980 from a passing train on the way to Norwich. They were parked up I recall and could already have been out of use then and there long gone now but I'm sure were painted yellow

I photographed this little 48DS in Ipswich Lower Yard in the early 80s. From its location I think it may have worked at the electricity generating plant next to the trolleybus depot but may have been from somewhere in the docks.

48DS.jpg.b81866d496dc0d97a618540eb4e582df.jpg

Edited by giz
Photo re-attached
  • Like 5

Well ....... I can't find 1EL anywhere, but have found 2EL, dated 1970, which has:

Norfolk ...... Anglian Building Products, Lenwade (HE); Bouton Paul, Norwich (RH; Bg); BIS, Middleton Towers (2 x MR; FH); BSC, Cantley (2 x RH); BSC, South Lynn (JF); BSC, Wissington (JF, but I think the steamers were still in use in 1970 too); West Norfolk Ferdtilisers, South Lynn (JF).

Suffolk ....... British Sugar at Bury St Edmunds (2 x RH); Eastern Counties Farmers, Ipswich (RH); Felixstowe Dock (ex BR D3489); Ipswich Metals, Clayton (R&R); Ransomes & Rapier (JF); Ramsomes, Sims & Jeffries (RH).

Cambridgeshire ....... APCM, Cherry Hinton (5 x MR); BSC Ely (2 x RH); Fisons, Burnell (FH); London Brick, Whittlesey (MR); Rugby PC, Barrington (FH; TH).

Huntingdonshire ......... hotpoint, Fletton (MR); BSC, Woodston (RH); Min of Ag, Eye Green (FH).

LIncolnshire ..... APCM, Kiton Lindsay (RH); Aveling Barford, Grantham (RH); British Steel, Frodingham (47 x YE; 3 x RR); British Steel, Firth Brown, Scunthorpe (HE); British Steel, Lysaghts, Scunthorpe (9 x HC; 13 x S; 3 x NB; RR); Colsterworth Ironstone Mines (3 x YEC); Frodingham Ironstone Mines (3 x YE); BSC, Bardney (RH); BSC, Brigg (RH); BSC, Spalding (RH); British Titan Products, Grimsby (5 x RH); CEGB, Keadby (2 x HC); CEGB, Lincoln (2 x RH); ......... and a few more to follow.

These are SG diesels only ... there were a few steamers and BEs, plus NG locos, at various places, too.

You mention Janus, which are, of course, primarily iron/steel locos, and while it would be quite an undertaking to build a steelworks, the interchange with an ironstone mine line would be very simple to include on a layout ....... most ironstone mines were nothing more than a shallow face and some big diggers, served by an ever-moved length of railway track!

Middleton Towers was very good ...... I can't remember the SG apart of it, because the 2ft gauge was so exciting ....... big MR 60hp locos pulling very heavy trains. At least one of the locos from there is a Leighton Buzzard now.

Anyway, hope that helps, Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Kevin, it seems to be the sugar beet works that have most of them.

Shame there is nothing in docks , grain terminals or oil terminals

I might find an excuse for a sentinel somewhere

Edited by russ p

The sentinels, as per Hornby model, were quite new then, and being big locos, they were more associated with very heavy work ..... steelworks (did you notice thirteen of them at Scunthorpe), oil terminals, cement works. Much later, early 1980s, I got to have a drive of one, during a visit to a cement works.

K

Edited by Nearholmer

Well ....... I can't find 1EL anywhere, but have found 2EL, dated 1970, which has:

Norfolk ...... Anglian Building Products, Lenwade (HE); Bouton Paul, Norwich (RH; Bg); BIS, Middleton Towers (2 x MR; FH); BSC, Cantley (2 x RH); BSC, South Lynn (JF); BSC, Wissington (JF, but I think the steamers were still in use in 1970 too); West Norfolk Ferdtilisers, South Lynn (JF).

Suffolk ....... British Sugar at Bury St Edmunds (2 x RH); Eastern Counties Farmers, Ipswich (RH); Felixstowe Dock (ex BR D3489); Ipswich Metals, Clayton (R&R); Ransomes & Rapier (JF); Ramsomes, Sims & Jeffries (RH).

Cambridgeshire ....... APCM, Cherry Hinton (5 x MR); BSC Ely (2 x RH); Fisons, Burnell (FH); London Brick, Whittlesey (MR); Rugby PC, Barrington (FH; TH).

Huntingdonshire ......... hotpoint, Fletton (MR); BSC, Woodston (RH); Min of Ag, Eye Green (FH).

LIncolnshire ..... APCM, Kiton Lindsay (RH); Aveling Barford, Grantham (RH); British Steel, Frodingham (47 x YE; 3 x RR); British Steel, Firth Brown, Scunthorpe (HE); British Steel, Lysaghts, Scunthorpe (9 x HC; 13 x S; 3 x NB; RR); Colsterworth Ironstone Mines (3 x YEC); Frodingham Ironstone Mines (3 x YE); BSC, Bardney (RH); BSC, Brigg (RH); BSC, Spalding (RH); British Titan Products, Grimsby (5 x RH); CEGB, Keadby (2 x HC); CEGB, Lincoln (2 x RH); ......... and a few more to follow.

These are SG diesels only ... there were a few steamers and BEs, plus NG locos, at various places, too.

You mention Janus, which are, of course, primarily iron/steel locos, and while it would be quite an undertaking to build a steelworks, the interchange with an ironstone mine line would be very simple to include on a layout ....... most ironstone mines were nothing more than a shallow face and some big diggers, served by an ever-moved length of railway track!

Middleton Towers was very good ...... I can't remember the SG apart of it, because the 2ft gauge was so exciting ....... big MR 60hp locos pulling very heavy trains. At least one of the locos from there is a Leighton Buzzard now.

Anyway, hope that helps, Kevin

In diesel days, there were very few shallow Ironstone quarries and the diggers tended to be pretty big. Most of the latter day Corby quarries were 60 - 100' deep and up to 300' wide, much the same in S.Lincs. The last ore mined in Britain though was from the last quarry face opened up and was only around 20' deep.

At least some of the Normanby Park Sentinels were a good bit larger than the Hornby model.

post-6861-0-08873500-1486678550.jpg

At the time the larger steelworks had need for locomotives in a range of sizes and weights.

• Like 2

As far as I'm aware Russ only one or two were built and Lysaghts at Normanby Park had just the one. So you couldn't really call it a production model. There certainly aren't many photos of them.

Cheers Arthur, was the 0-8-0 a prototype or production model. I've seen the YEC prototype 0-8-0 but not the sentinel before

The army had one which was based at Longmoor. It is currently on the Avon Valley Railway awaiting a major overhaul on the two Rolls Royce diesels.

On the army one the wheels were very close together. It was a sod to adjust the brakes but very easy to drive.

Mike Edge has had the information to do a kit on his list for a few years.

Gordon A

The IRS Handbook for East Anglia might be better than working through the various "Existing Locomotives" series.

There was only one location to have the Sentinel/RR diesels, namely Barrington Cement, Cambridgeshire.  This concern was part of the Rugby Portland Cement Group and acquired two of them from their Halling (Kent) site in April 1983 - too late for the period in question.  (See also Industrial Railway Record 109 for an article on Barrington).

The only "Janus" in East Anglia was one on a short loan to Mayer Parry Recycling (scrapyard), Snailwell, spending only six weeks at the site before returning to South Yorkshire.

The sugar beet works tended to use Ruston 165DS shunters, mostly 0-4-0s but a few of the 0-6-0 variety. There's a bit more information in this IRS article, although it's mostly about their steam locos (including 'Thomas' now on the NVR). http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/48/BSC.htm

And there's an interesting snippet here on the Lincolnshire County Council website (Lincolnshire isn't really East Anglia though, it's part of the East Midlands).

http://community.lincolnshire.gov.uk/thehistoryofbardneysugarfactory/section.asp?docId=73901

A new Ruston DS165 Diesel Locomotive was purchased for the sum of £8,213-13-01d. It was delivered by Pickfords on 15th October.

In case anyone wondered how much a 165DS cost in the 1950s. 

What about Ransomes of Ipswich? I would expect they might have something or Garrett of Leiston. I know that the Rom factory in Witham had KS4421 for a while and before that a planet locomotive. Engineering works might be modellable with available kits of gantry cranes and factory buildings and such like.

7154124803_db58ff285d.jpg

Picture of KS4421 at Lichfield and not Witham found on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77918006@N03/7154124803

• Like 1