Industrial loco's in East Anglia

russ p

• RMweb Premium

The army had one which was based at Longmoor. It is currently on the Avon Valley Railway awaiting a major overhaul on the two Rolls Royce diesels.

On the army one the wheels were very close together. It was a sod to adjust the brakes but very easy to drive.

Mike Edge has had the information to do a kit on his list for a few years.

Gordon A

Yes it's still in our "to do" list. I think the Army one was the only short wheelbase loco but Normanby Park had more than one, latterly these were running with the centre portion of the coupling rods removed. They were also found at NCB Moor Green colliery and Ebbw Vale steelworks.

• RMweb Premium

I gather that there was an R&H diesel at the sugar factory in Peterborough although I am struggling to identify it. D2302 (a Drewry) was bought by British Sugar in August 1969 by the way. By 1988 British Sugar were using an 03, D2112 in Peterborough.

• RMweb Gold

A private loco on a dock side or granary would be good.

My current layout thread has pictures of a small dockside tramway serving a granary which in reality always seem to be operated by BR loco's .

I'm about to dismantle this an rebuild in larger room

• RMweb Premium

I gather that there was an R&H diesel at the sugar factory in Peterborough although I am struggling to identify it. D2302 (a Drewry) was bought by British Sugar in August 1969 by the way. By 1988 British Sugar were using an 03, D2112 in Peterborough.

British Sugar had a large fleet of Rustons supplied between 1949 and 1963, mostly 165 0-4-0 DMs, one 165 0-6-0DM at Cantley, an LWS and an LSSE at Woodston and an LPSH at Bury St Edmunds.

Pondering Russ's ideal, I think a problem is that the bigger harbours in the east were railway-owned, and that Felixstowe developed quite late-on, as a deeper-water replacement for the London docks, so that "industrials" weren't that common 'at the seaside'.

But, Rule 1 always applies, so maybe a bit of history can be moved from, say, The Medway Towns. Strood had a goodly collection of industrials until quite recently.

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'd forgotten about this thread,  I now have a sentinel,  ruston and janus not really sure how they would fit in historically but they are such good models I got at decent prices I couldn't resist them 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, russ p said:

I'd forgotten about this thread,  I now have a sentinel,  ruston and janus not really sure how they would fit in historically but they are such good models I got at decent prices I couldn't resist them 

Is this a case of I can resist anything but temptation!

• Agree 2

• 3 years later...
On 09/02/2017 at 19:24, giz said:

I photographed this little 48DS in Ipswich Lower Yard in the early 80s. From its location I think it may have worked at the electricity generating plant next to the trolleybus depot but may have been from somewhere in the docks.

48DS.jpg.b81866d496dc0d97a618540eb4e582df.jpg

Its amazing i was only thinking about this loco a few days ago ,it was always bit of a mystery as to who owned it,i would love to know where it went , for a few years the scrap yard at derby road used a rail crane as a shunter i think it might have been a smith rodley crane like the old airfix kit,the yard just removed the cranes jib to convert it into a shunter they even gave it a fresh coat of green paint  and neatly used a stencils to brand it car fragmentation ,i hope this is of some interest!

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Clive martin said:

Its amazing i was only thinking about this loco a few days ago ,it was always bit of a mystery as to who owned it,i would love to know where it went , for a few years the scrap yard at derby road used a rail crane as a shunter i think it might have been a smith rodley crane like the old airfix kit,the yard just removed the cranes jib to convert it into a shunter they even gave it a fresh coat of green paint  and neatly used a stencils to brand it car fragmentation ,i hope this is of some interest!

That little green shunter was "used" at a Roadstone terminal owned by Anglian Limestone in that section of the Lower Yard. It dated from 1946 and started off in the area at Eastern Counties Farmers in 1969. Anglian Limestone bought it in 1972 and it was used at their depot at Melton (nr Woodbridge) until 1976 when their yard there closed, it then appearing in Ipswich.

It sat there, hardly ever being used (I never saw it move...) - the yard shutting in 1980. Was broken up on site a few years later.

One from the ITM archives I have to hand.....

Stoneruston.JPG.de02e4870cc0df9664d2f195bbdbe4bb.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

That little green shunter was "used" at a Roadstone terminal owned by Anglian Limestone in that section of the Lower Yard. It dated from 1946 and started off in the area at Eastern Counties Farmers in 1969. Anglian Limestone bought it in 1972 and it was used at their depot at Melton (nr Woodbridge) until 1976 when their yard there closed, it then appearing in Ipswich.

It sat there, hardly ever being used (I never saw it move...) - the yard shutting in 1980. Was broken up on site a few years later.

One from the ITM archives I have to hand.....

Stoneruston.JPG.de02e4870cc0df9664d2f195bbdbe4bb.JPG

So only 40 years after taking the photo I've found out what it was doing there.