Staythorpe Crossing - Nottingham to Lincoln line circa 1980

theplasticbrummy

Good morning all.

With other competitors now turning to rolling stock, I'm considerably further behind than I wanted to be at this point, but, bearing in mind others are yet to start, it's not all that bad.  I have at least managed to put some time aside to get some modelling done and I have also made a good start on the control panel (with a great deal of help from Arty - Once again, Thanks!)

A second week of night shifts with very few trains allowed me the time to make a start on the main feature of the layout - Staythorpe Signal Box.  I'm currently in the process of modelling the frame which I intend to have a full complement of 35 levers with the appropriate ones pulled for normal Up and Down main line running.  The Box is still lacking steps, balcony and roof, but they will follow when I'm happy with the interior (which no one will ever see). 

Here are some cruel close ups of the Box so far - I think I need a one-hair paintbrush for down the edges of the green beams.

If people recognise it (mainly because of the 5' extension), I'll be very happy indeed.

post-22266-0-96020300-1491608034_thumb.jpg

post-22266-0-75481800-1491608051_thumb.jpg

post-22266-0-85811400-1491608041_thumb.jpg

The Signal Box is completely scratch built.  The main body is card salvaged from the recycling bin at work.  Originally a Nescafe box, I have scribed the boards into the varnished side using the back of a scalpel.  The framework is made up of Evergreen strip of various sizes.  The windows are again Evergreen strip, "evo-stuck" onto clear acrylic sheet.  A cocktail stick was used to "twizzle" away any surplus glue.  Acrylic paints were then used for the finish on top of five light coats of primer.  A light weathering will follow after the model is completed.

On to the Control panel now.  With the sheet of alloy cut to size using Artys' press, the tool was changed from a cutter to a punch, and after centre punching what felt like a million holes, Arty got to work punching the holes in the alloy whilst I punched out the holes in the print (I'm not quite sure who got the roughest deal here).  Unbelievably, because the print was temporarily attached to the alloy for the centre punching process, all of the holes actually lined up with each other!  With all of the holes made and suitably reamed out for the relevant components (apart from one which I had failed to draw on the diagram in the first place), the switches, push-buttons and LEDs were fitted.  I don't usually blow my own trumpet, but I am well-chuffed with the result, although, I am only able to claim some of the credit here.  It just goes to show that when you've got the right tool (I'm not calling you a tool here, ARTY!) for the job, the result can be top Johnny.  FLASHY LIGHTS!

post-22266-0-45239600-1491608002_thumb.jpg

post-22266-0-95904100-1491608009_thumb.jpg

post-22266-0-55429700-1491608017_thumb.jpg

There are still a few holes missing their components as I had a colour change during design.  As a result, I now have leftover red LEDs, but am lacking yellow ones!  I also decided to make provision for working signals so I am also short of a few switches, all of which I will order after I've posted this update.

I won't talk about this photo - It's just a little demoralising (these wires are just for the LEDs)

post-22266-0-73958900-1491608027_thumb.jpg

NB: Apologies for the poor photos, my phones' camera is knackered!

Cheers all.

Ta ta.

Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy
  • Like 4

The box looks impressive and the control panel I agree with Carl. Don't bother build the layout just show the control panel.

Up early aren't we Carl and Dave. Not working on your challenge layouts are we.

Steve

• Like 1

The box looks impressive and the control panel I agree with Carl. Don't bother build the layout just show the control panel.

Up early aren't we Carl and Dave. Not working on your challenge layouts are we.

Steve

Nah work all day today for me. A Pupil has her test at 12:30 so lots of prep work.

I have been ordering more new stock from Shapeways this morning though :-)

• RMweb Premium

Here are some cruel close ups of the Box so far - I think I need a one-hair paintbrush for down the edges of the green beams.

If people recognise it (mainly because of the 5' extension), I'll be very happy indeed.

attachicon.gifSignal Box (2).jpg

attachicon.gifSignal Box (4).jpg

attachicon.gifSignal Box (3).jpg

It definitely looks like the box at Stayrhorpe, but bigger. Great job!

Simon

If its any consolation Andy, some of us are even further back than you with our competition entries mate!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

I did mention you specifically Dave.

Good morning all.

but, bearing in mind others are yet to start, it's not all that bad.

Cheers, Andy. Edited by theplasticbrummy

Andy,

Starting to come along nicely.

I think that control panel is amazing, you could end up winning a prize for that alone!

Carl

Thanks Carl. It was suggested that I just take the panel because the layout will be crap due to it being "N Gauge sh*te".

Also, in my very best Stoke accent, "What'ya bought from Shapeways Carl?"

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks Carl. It was suggested that I just take the panel because the layout will be crap due to it being "N Gauge sh*te".

Also, what'ya bought from Shapeways Carl?

Cheers, Andy.

All N gauge Sh*te.

Some concrete sleeper loads for the Salmons, Caroline, a Halibut and 2 units to make Iris one for me and one for Steve

Cheers

Carl

All N gauge Sh*te.

Some concrete sleeper loads for the Salmons, Caroline, a Halibut and 2 units to make Iris one for me and one for Steve

Cheers

Carl

Good stuff. Can't remember if I've got one or two Halibuts. I've also got a Caroline which is destined for its current green livery - I suppose you're going for NSE like everyone else *yawn*. I've been watching the Derby Lightweight progress on the "other" forum/farceberk, I'm also going to go for an Iris.

I still reckon we should try to link all the N Gauge sh*tes together.

Cheers, Andy.

Good stuff. Can't remember if I've got one or two Halibuts. I've also got a Caroline which is destined for its current green livery - I suppose you're going for NSE like everyone else *yawn*. I've been watching the Derby Lightweight progress on the "other" forum/farceberk, I'm also going to go for an Iris.

I still reckon we should try to link all the N Gauge sh*tes together.

Cheers, Andy.

Yes it's got to go NSE, Green is too new and BG too old.

A link sounds like a plan, we go even make it scenic like we did with Micheal test track last year. We would need to get Paul to put us all in the same place ( no not the bonfire)

Carl

• Like 1

Yes it's got to go NSE, Green is too new and BG too old.

A link sounds like a plan, we go even make it scenic like we did with Micheal test track last year. We would need to get Paul to put us all in the same place ( no not the bonfire)

Carl

I'm hoping that our efforts will consist of more than a house brick as a station building and gravel from Paul's drive as ballast.

Cheers, Andy.

Not a house brick as buildings or garden gravel

Oh well suppose I'd better start again.

Linking them will be difficult as we've put surrounds around the ends. and I've already asked Paul if we can be in one area together.

Steve

• Like 1

I've already asked Paul if we can be in one area together.

Steve

Snap.

I get the impression that Paul thinks we'd just ignore his plan and put ourselves next to each other regardless. N Gauge contingent is getting stronger by the day - even S-Kits-George has gone N gauge! Perhaps there should be a special N Gauge only show starting on the Monday prior to the LR weekend with the "non-sh*te" scales arriving on Friday and Saturday as usual.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

All for a special N gauge Lyddrail starting Monday prior. Think Paul would have his head in his hands.

Steve,

You know me so well. I have a special place for you to be together, just hope it doesn't rain!!

I have the 3 early bird bookees layouts together, but am keeping Carl opposite you, by luck the N gauge sh*te is together.

Carl,

I will add Halibut pictures to you CD.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Good evening guys, looks like the OO flag need to be kept flying...

So I needed to test run a few ideas for 'Caterham', so what better that to build a challenge layout. A few other ideas will be trialled. This is the track laid out on a spare piece of ply....

post-2484-0-15219500-1491680336_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Good evening guys, looks like the OO flag need to be kept flying...So I needed to test run a few ideas for 'Caterham', so what better that to build a challenge layout. A few other ideas will be trialled. This is the track laid out on a spare piece of ply....attachicon.gif042.JPG

I thought Caterham was your challenge layout Ernie - thought you'd just got carried away with the 4'8.5"!

I'll ask George A to bring his back scene for you again.

Cheers, Andy.

Owing to the obvious success of Andy's Staythorpe panel, and the upgrading of another.

post-2014-0-28260900-1492208102_thumb.jpg

post-2014-0-91018000-1492208063_thumb.jpg

I reckon we could go into the control panel business and forget this railway modelling lark - maybe not.

Rgds

Richard

• Like 2

Owing to the obvious success of Andy's Staythorpe panel, and the upgrading of another.

attachicon.gifIMG_1787.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1785.JPG

I reckon we could go into the control panel business and forget this railway modelling lark - maybe not.

Rgds

Richard

Fortunately, there are no LEDs on this panel and most of the wiring is already done! Staythorpe will eventually bolt onto the front of this fiddle yard, sharing it with Loch Tat and Tatlock. Unfortunately, I've gone against the norm with controller colours so it might end up being a case of black to brown, red to green and blue to bits! I'll just plug in those infamous two wires for DCC control.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1