Staythorpe Crossing - Nottingham to Lincoln line circa 1980

theplasticbrummy

It would have to go another 4' 8 1/2" board towards Nottingham to allow the ash plant to be modelled and to incorporate a visible connection to the Down Main.  Towards Lincoln, it's a case of where do you stop?  I'd like to share the aerial photos but I'm not allowed. 

As I'm sure you can imagine, the sidings sprawl across a massive area and are more than long enough to accommodate the 46 HAA long trains which brought in the coal, this is after the length of the reception road and the fan of point work.  The sidings then taper down again and lead on to the rapid unloader and the maintenance shed for the resident shunting locos.  The rapid unloader would be an ideal point to stop as the overhead conveyor would provide at least, a partial scenic break.  Modelling up to this point though would mean that the layout would be approaching 25' long - too long.  Bearing in mind that I still have New Dalby, Sheppy Steel and Tatlock to finish (I'm back-tracking like Angela Merkel now), although New Dalby is literally on the verge of completion and Tatlock isn't too far away either and benefitting from two other people working on, I have various other plans for a "Fence Houses" size N gauge layout (I need somewhere to run all of those Revolution TEAs!) and I don't want to commit to another large layout which would push back plans that I have had for a long time.  I think it might just stay as its current size, maybe just one more board for the Ash Plant to complete the scene that will begin on the original board.

Cheers, Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy
  • Like 1

Hello Andrew

Yes I can see what you mean and I would be thinking along the same lines with the layouts that you have on the go at the moment. You can always come back to Staythorpe at a later date. When do you envisage Tatlock will be out and about. Is that the one you're building with your dad. Some pics of it would be nice. The layout I mean not your dad I know what he looks like.

Steve.

It is yes Steve.  For a multitude of reasons, it was packed away.  It was started at the same time as Loch Tat, all the boards were made at the same time and they were both running at the same time, the difference being Adrian had got all of his buildings ready and we hadn't.  Most of the buildings are now complete and we are making headway with the scenery.  If there is a Stourbridge Exhibition next year, we'll offer it to Pat and see what happens. I'm sure it will be finished by then.  As for photos, you'll have to wait for it to appear on the circuit.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andy,

In my photo thread you mentioned the image of Staythorpe fly ash loading sidings.  As it is relevant I hope you don't mind me posting a copy here, along with a couple of others Dad took at the crossing.

post-5613-0-63408800-1493156071_thumb.jpg

Staythorpe fly ash loading sidings Staythorpe power station Oct 72 J3124

post-5613-0-44595300-1493156062_thumb.jpg

Staythorpe Class 31 down oil April 80 J6875

post-5613-0-83299100-1493156067_thumb.jpg

Staythorpe Class 120 Lincoln to Crewe April 80 J6876

David

• Like 6

Those are fantastic David!  They are right in that period that I am wanting to model and clearly show the almost brand-new MCB crossing.  I've got two class 120 kits from BH Enterprises to build that will complete this late 70s, early 80s scene.  Thanks very much for posting them here - they really are a missing link in my research.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy,

Not sure how I've missed this one but definitely following now. Really looking forward to see how it progresses. Don't forget the Sunday ECML diversions for engineering works. I think they would have been routed this way. Having lived just outside Lincoln during the 80's I remember seeing a HST or two heading past near The Pyewipe pub. Wonder if it's still there?!

Good luck with the layout and I might tap you up for a commission on the control panel!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

Hi Andy,

Not sure how I've missed this one but definitely following now. Really looking forward to see how it progresses. Don't forget the Sunday ECML diversions for engineering works. I think they would have been routed this way. Having lived just outside Lincoln during the 80's I remember seeing a HST or two heading past near The Pyewipe pub. Wonder if it's still there?!

Good luck with the layout and I might tap you up for a commission on the control panel!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy.

HSTs sound good!  (I have a bit of a thing for them)

After seeing what you are building (Which is excellent by the way) Control Panel??? - Eeeeep!

Cheers, Andy.

• 1 month later...

Evening all.

It's been a little while since I last posted regarding SX - This is again, because of the on-going spring clean at the Ivanhoe clubrooms (which has been overdue for about a decade).  After clearing out I don't know how much junk from all of the other rooms, we've finally managed to clear the main layout room which now has 5 layouts up in various stages of completion, and fortunately, Staythorpe is one of them!  YAY! :dancer:

Anyway, this week, I chose to break rule #2 :rtfm: (NB: I'm not the first to do this - FARMER!).  Binning the fiddle yard restrictions was really a must if I want anything like proper length trains running and will also mean that the layout will be viable to take to proper exhibitions (No offence Paul :derisive: ) in its current format.

As I'm sure I've said before, I would eventually like SX to go out on the front of a common fiddle yard that is currently shared by two other layouts.  This meaning that I've got another 11' 3 1/2" to build after Lydd Rail, however, in the mean time, I've constructed some basic baseboards that will suffice for now.

Here is the layout in its entirety; A pair of standard 2'x4' ply tops with 2"x1" softwood frames for the end boards and a 4' 8 1/2" link span with only a single piece of softwood running down the middle of the board. 

post-22266-0-71584800-1496009732_thumb.jpg

You'll probably note the diamond crossing on the closest board.  This is to allow the loaded A-Sidings coal train and the unloaded B-Sidings coal train to return to the correct line "on scene" due to the prototypical crossing over movements - It will cause havoc in the fiddle but unfortunately, it is completely unavoidable. 

There will be room for 10 trains in total (five in each direction), probably consisting of:

2x rakes of HTOs/HTVs (1x loaded and 1x unloaded) - Serving Staythorpe A-Sidings

2x rakes of HAAs (1x loaded and 1x unloaded) - Serving Staythorpe B-Sidings

2x Swindon 120s - Crewe-Lincoln Service

Loco-hauled passenger

HST - Special !

Immingham tanks - (As per Dave F's photo)

Mixed Engineers

And a few others off the track dotted about the board for some variation.

I'll decide on train lengths once I've got the rest of the track laid - I'm just awaiting another 9 lengths of flexi-track to arrive from the IOM.

If anyone is at DEMU, come and say hello - I'll be knocking around the S-Kits stand for most of the weekend.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 3

Evening all.

It's been a little while since I last posted regarding SX - This is again, because of the on-going spring clean at the Ivanhoe clubrooms (which has been overdue for about a decade).  After clearing out I don't know how much junk from all of the other rooms, we've finally managed to clear the main layout room which now has 5 layouts up in various stages of completion, and fortunately, Staythorpe is one of them!  YAY! :dancer:

Anyway, this week, I chose to break rule #2 :rtfm: (NB: I'm not the first to do this - FARMER!).  Binning the fiddle yard restrictions was really a must if I want anything like proper length trains running and will also mean that the layout will be viable to take to proper exhibitions (No offence Paul :derisive: ) in its current format.

As I'm sure I've said before, I would eventually like SX to go out on the front of a common fiddle yard that is currently shared by two other layouts.  This meaning that I've got another 11' 3 1/2" to build after Lydd Rail, however, in the mean time, I've constructed some basic baseboards that will suffice for now.

Here is the layout in its entirety; A pair of standard 2'x4' ply tops with 2"x1" softwood frames for the end boards and a 4' 8 1/2" link span with only a single piece of softwood running down the middle of the board. 

attachicon.gifModel (7).jpg

You'll probably note the diamond crossing on the closest board.  This is to allow the loaded A-Sidings coal train and the unloaded B-Sidings coal train to return to the correct line "on scene" due to the prototypical crossing over movements - It will cause havoc in the fiddle but unfortunately, it is completely unavoidable. 

There will be room for 10 trains in total (five in each direction), probably consisting of:

2x rakes of HTOs/HTVs (1x loaded and 1x unloaded) - Serving Staythorpe A-Sidings

2x rakes of HAAs (1x loaded and 1x unloaded) - Serving Staythorpe B-Sidings

2x Swindon 120s - Crewe-Lincoln Service

Loco-hauled passenger

HST - ECML Diversion - (Thanks Jez!)

Immingham tanks - (As per Dave F's photo)

Mixed Engineers

And a few others off the track dotted about the board for some variation.

I'll decide on train lengths once I've got the rest of the track laid - I'm just awaiting another 9 lengths of flexi-track to arrive from the IOM.

If anyone is at DEMU, come and say hello - I'll be knocking around the S-Kits stand for most of the weekend.

Cheers, Andy.

Andy

There was me worrying about breaking the fiddle yard rule and finding my layout in the skip at some point. My infringement makes me look like the goodie two shoes compared to your infringement.

Seriously though it's looking great so far. You have a lot of scenery work to do over the next 7 weeks!

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1

Hi Jeremy.

HSTs sound good! (I have a bit of a thing for them)

After seeing what you are building (Which is excellent by the way) Control Panel??? - Eeeeep!

Cheers, Andy.

Sorry to be a party pooper, I'm pretty certain that ECML diversions would have rejoined the main line at Newark North Gate, passing through Staythorpe would mean them going to Nottingham. I can't think then how they would get back to the ECML apart from a reversal in or near Nottingham then arrive at Grantham. The route around Lincoln would use the joint line to Doncaster or south to Peterborough

Looking good Andy yes it looks like you have binned the fiddle yard size rule.

As regards running HST sets and knowing how you like them. I think one would look good and it's your train set if you want to run one. But yes the layout looks impressive

Keep up the good work mate see you at Showcase

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy

This is looking absolutely superb. Right up my street. Looking forward to seeing the updates  :sungum:

Cheers, Anthony  

Sorry to be a party pooper, I'm pretty certain that ECML diversions would have rejoined the main line at Newark North Gate, passing through Staythorpe would mean them going to Nottingham. I can't think then how they would get back to the ECML apart from a reversal in or near Nottingham then arrive at Grantham. The route around Lincoln would use the joint line to Doncaster or south to Peterborough

That is a very good point GC, and I don't mind in the slightest - I'd rather be right in what I'm doing.

I believe it's me that's mistaken.  I think Jez mentioned HSTs passing through Lincoln, which is entirely correct, but as you suggest, they would then leave the Lincoln to Nottingham line at Crankley point, re-joining the ECML at Northgate - I just got excited, any excuse for an HST!

The only HST that I ever encountered on that line was the Lincoln Christmas Market Special. - Now when did that start?

Cheers, Andy.

That is a very good point GC, and I don't mind in the slightest - I'd rather be right in what I'm doing.

I believe it's me that's mistaken. I think Jez mentioned HSTs passing through Lincoln, which is entirely correct, but as you suggest, they would then leave the Lincoln to Nottingham line at Crankley point, re-joining the ECML at Northgate - I just got excited, any excuse for an HST!

The only HST that I ever encountered on that line was the Lincoln Christmas Market Special. - Now when did that start?

Cheers, Andy.

The Christmas market HST is an EMT thing, started maybe 2009, I'm afraid. Prior to that Central had hired in a top and tail set from West Coast rail at Carnforth using 47s. Somewhere I have a couple of pictures taken at Nottingham.

That continued into EMT days as Central had contracted it for several years, talking to the the Central fleet manager given the job of organising the trains for special events he had used everything Central had got on the Lincoln market trains,left nothing spare anywhere!

As EMT amalgamated parts of Central and MML, it meant a mixed fleet which had a spare HST at weekends so it made sense to use that at times, now used on summer Saturdays for Skegness as well of course, only cost is staff training.

In 1980 HSTs were still relatively new on the ECML, I left a job around April and had to return their van to head office in Iver near Slough. They gave me a travel warrant to get home, I decided via the ECML. At Kings Cross I had a choice of train, there was a Peak hauled train to Grantham stopping at Peterborough only, or an HST first stop Grantham, oh to have a choice like that today!

Although the HST left Kings Cross 40 minutes behind the Peak it was only 5 minutes behind at Grantham. I took the HST for the experience, a peak was available anytime on the MML.

Anyway it's your train set and rule 1 applies of course, I fully intend running a pair of 20s with a Jolly Fisherman set on our new layout despite it definitely being steam era.

• Like 1

The Christmas market HST is an EMT thing, started maybe 2009, I'm afraid. Prior to that Central had hired in a top and tail set from West Coast rail at Carnforth using 47s. Somewhere I have a couple of pictures taken at Nottingham.

That continued into EMT days as Central had contracted it for several years, talking to the the Central fleet manager given the job of organising the trains for special events he had used everything Central had got on the Lincoln market trains,left nothing spare anywhere!

As EMT amalgamated parts of Central and MML, it meant a mixed fleet which had a spare HST at weekends so it made sense to use that at times, now used on summer Saturdays for Skegness as well of course, only cost is staff training.

In 1980 HSTs were still relatively new on the ECML, I left a job around April and had to return their van to head office in Iver near Slough. They gave me a travel warrant to get home, I decided via the ECML. At Kings Cross I had a choice of train, there was a Peak hauled train to Grantham stopping at Peterborough only, or an HST first stop Grantham, oh to have a choice like that today!

Although the HST left Kings Cross 40 minutes behind the Peak it was only 5 minutes behind at Grantham. I took the HST for the experience, a peak was available anytime on the MML.

Anyway it's your train set and rule 1 applies of course, I fully intend running a pair of 20s with a Jolly Fisherman set on our new layout despite it definitely being steam era.

I can't remember the peaks - a little before my time, although, I can remember the remnants of BR Blue in the late 80s and early 90s, mainly 20s and 37s on the MML if my mind recalls correctly.

The HST thing comes from days out with my Dad on the line side, being deafened by the screaming Valentas! - I really ought to get a couple of sound chips.

And yes, The Jolly fisherman, a train that my dad and I intend to portray on our larger n gauge layout and like the Lincoln Market Special, again, now an HST.

Here is 1S01, Derby to Skegness, taken at Bottesford West Junction on 31st of May 2014

post-22266-0-21823600-1496165794_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin' all.

Well, this afternoon I have finally completed track laying.  This has taken longer than I wanted mainly due to not being a***d to go up the club - You do need a break away from it every now and then.

So, here we have it:

post-22266-0-20767800-1497463126_thumb.jpg

post-22266-0-09561700-1497463129_thumb.jpg

post-22266-0-93294000-1497463131_thumb.jpg

The four roads on the narrow "Link-Span" will hold 6 trains and the two loops at the end will hold another 6 (two on the A sidings and 4 on the B sidings)  Due to the extra track on the outside curves, I'll also run 2 trains of 20t mineral wagons alongside the HTVs and HTOs. 

The plan is: Before you send a coal train in or out (to or from either A or B sidings), the long freight that occupies the through line in the fiddle yard will be run first and then held on the mains between the A & B storage lines, freeing up the road to run the coal train back to its home on the end board - Hopefully it will work and also make operating more interesting.

Cheers for now, Andy.

• Like 5