Staythorpe Crossing - Nottingham to Lincoln line circa 1980

theplasticbrummy

And all that in 4'8" Andy

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Why is there not an, "Up Yours" button?  And anyway, the scenic section is exactly 12" by 4' 8 1/2" although the transgression is actually much worse if you look at the 288sq." rule which is the one I have actually broken!

Cheers, Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all appears to be quiet on the Lydd Rail Standard Gauge Challenge front.  Either people have finished their layouts or so much modelling is being done that no one has the time to do some RMWebbing.  I shall break the silence!

Good morning/afternoon/evening/etc/etc.

With SF315 and carlw effectively finished, Mr. Wide just starting out, DoMH going to lots of trouble building track that isn't quite (YOU'RE MISSING 0.63mm DAVE!) wide enough, and Clive complaining about rules (or rather the lack people conforming to them), I thought that I had better write a post updating you all of my progress with Staythorpe Crossing - No body else is!

So, this last week, I have been very busy in the New-Ivanhoe Workshop.  With my safety glasses adorned, and all safety guards removed (for filming purposes only), I have completed the housing for my control panel and have also made a good start on forming the contours of the scenery - There will be at least some green stuff to be seen in a fortnight's time.

The control box has been made out of off-cuts of ply and various X x 1 timber (what ever was to hand..... and free of course).  Amongst the usual tools, I made a point of putting the new band saw to work. What an incredible piece of kit.  It has opened up so many new techniques for construction and has made life so much easier.  Half-lap joints combined with some polyurethane glue has meant that I've been able to construct a strong yet light-weight frame and retainer, that houses the actual panel - You just have to remember to remove your framing square when you've clamped the pieces together to set overnight, otherwise you end up with things glued together that you don't want glued together, like this:

post-22266-0-83734800-1498864958_thumb.jpg

With all of the pieces cut and test-fitted, normal woodworking glue was applied and screws were fitted to created a good, strong box. 

It was then time to make it look pretty, so out came the filler,

post-22266-0-00955900-1498864956_thumb.jpg

followed a day later by some sanding and a coat of primer,

post-22266-0-11893900-1498864965_thumb.jpg

followed another day later by a coat of gloss black.

Yesterday, with the paint dry (almost), a piano hinge was fitted, the panel was located into its rebate (or should that be rabbit in Norm parlance?), the retainer was fitted to keep the panel in place and everything was screwed together.  Tada!

post-22266-0-50847600-1498864968_thumb.jpg

I wish I could say that it was finished but I've still got to sort out the rat's nest inside.....  It will work soon enough.

Moving on from all of this woodwork and decorating, I also managed to do some modelling (either side of eating the regular Friday night chips at the club that is)!  I was mostly cutting up card to form the contours of the scenery, bringing the embankments from base-level to track-level, showing the "man-made" track bed cutting through the once open fields of Nottinghamshire.

post-22266-0-29074200-1498864971_thumb.jpgpost-22266-0-09626900-1498864974_thumb.jpg

I have also made a start on modifying the ratio level crossing gates from a narrow, four-gate setup, to a wide, two-gate affair.  The gates will be operational (when ARTY has pulled his finger out and repaired a redundant mechanism from an old layout (after returning from multiple holidays)) and also interlocked with the sections so "run-throughs" can be avoided (unless someone decides to propel a train of MGRs through them of course). The mesh, as per the prototype, was added on to the backs of each gate - This is from the inside of a smoke alarm and is quite fine. It also has the added benefit of being rigid, thus strengthening the modified, lengthened gates.

NB ***Please don't go taking your smoke alarms down though, these were wastage from a building refit!***

post-22266-0-49087600-1498864977_thumb.jpg

And to finish off this post, I couldn't resist a quick shot of a 31 on passenger duties passing Staythorpe, with a couple of period vehicles, making up a 70s scene.

post-22266-0-00804900-1498864980_thumb.jpg

I'm quietly confident that trains should be running by Tuesday, so tune in Tuesday evening for another update - If no update, then I didn't manage it.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 3

Andrew

Forget the layout just take the control panel to Lyddrail.

If you remember the idea is to make the layout to standard gauge width not the control panel.

Layout is looking good and starting to take shape now mate.

Steve.

Andrew,

Looking really good, I think that control panel will put most people's layout to shame.

That's enough tippy tappy from me. Off to the loft to do some more work on the layout

Carl

• Like 1

Andy, excellent progress well done. I will check the rules regards control panels, yours looks a little big! Just finished my control panel and testing, to investigate a short on half the layout, oh dear!

Cheers.

Andy, excellent progress well done. I will check the rules regards control panels, yours looks a little big! Just finished my control panel and testing, to investigate a short on half the layout, oh dear!

Cheers.

I bet the electricity is arcing across because the rails are too close together. Open them out to the correct gauge and all will be fine. ;)

Cheers, Andy.

Andrew

Forget the layout just take the control panel to Lyddrail.

If you remember the idea is to make the layout to standard gauge width not the control panel.

Layout is looking good and starting to take shape now mate.

Steve.

Cheers.

Combined control panel and layout storage, brilliant concept!

Mike.

Thank you :thankyou:

p***-taking b******s

• Like 1

I thought I'd "help" Andy with the loan of some rolling stock - but the bl**dy couplings are the wrong height

.attachicon.gifAlococoal2.jpg

That is one massive lump, Dick!  :O  The wagon that is!   :laugh:

We'll have to give it a run on Wednesday if you come up - I can give that 31 of Ady's a good thrashing!

Now then, I can finally say that the control panel is now.............FINISHED!!!  It was one hell of a job but very much worth it in my opinion.  It looks massively over the top, but when I build the other boards to complete the layout, it will be more in keeping.

I suppose I could claim that my self-imposed deadline of "Tuesday" referred to tomorrow (11/07) but alas, it was last Tuesday!  Again, I find myself a week behind to where I wanted to be.  This was due to supplies not being delivered on time and ultimately, a shear underestimation on my part of just how much wiring there was to do - BUT ITS DONE NOW!!! :danced:

post-22266-0-12558400-1499714163_thumb.jpg

You'll note that there are some switches still not connected and some empty breakout boards in the base.  The switches are for the semaphore signals of which there is only one on this board (Not made yet).  The breakouts are there to cater for the numerous future boards that may or may not get built.

The layout itself already has the point motors wired in to a connector so it should just be a case of dropping the leads on and giving it a whirl.  The sections are still yet to be put in but, that is it.  Definitely, most certainly and without any doubt whatsoever, It will be running this week, giving me four days to get some green on, fit a backscene and get it stocked and packed for departure on Monday, *Sorry*, Wednesday morning.   Oh yeah, after a loud pop and a flash, I also need another transformer - Timing at its best.

Cheers All,

Andy.

• Like 3

With only two days remaining until setting off on my journey to the edge of the world (Romney Marsh), unfortunately, but not in the least bit unsurprisingly, the layout is not finished...... *SHOCK*!

Although incomplete, Staythorpe DOES work, so at least we will be able to play trains next weekend.  I've spent the last three days testing and tweeking the layout, ensuring it runs as I intended.  Apart from finding out that wiring plans are an essential part of layout construction (I didn't bother this time around and it really has been a pain) and that Peco CDUs aren't designed to fire two point motors, all appears to have gone well.  There were a few wiring errors on my part because I hadn't bothered to make plans, but with the help of (once again) Mr.Arty, these were rectified pretty quickly.  YOU ARE A STAR and will be getting something brought back for you (some gravel from the marsh maybe?).

Panel and Board under testing - Club room is a dump again now and is completely my fault.

post-22266-0-95470700-1500240100_thumb.jpg

Tonight, I've readied the stock for the layout.  Although 95% of it is straight out of the box and some locos have the same number, being N Gauge S***e, no one will notice/care.  More importantly, I've got my 'private' beverages ready too!  I will share for a price.....

post-22266-0-78658300-1500240097_thumb.jpg

Well, this will probably be the last main post that I make now until after LR.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the other entries - This Standard Gauge Challenge lark really seems to have been a success with around 12 layouts owing their existence to this layout-building competition.

Thanks for reading everybody, and to all the people heading for the cliff-edge just south of Ashford late (or sooner) this week, have a safe journey.

Cheers All,

Andy.

NB: Staythorpe also a little party piece which will remain a surprise to be beheld only by the Lydd Rail attendees - I bet you can't wait, eh? Ta ta!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

I have only just become aware of this thread. I was going to splatter it with "like" and "craftsmanship/cleaver" thingies, that is until I saw the "2 square feet" of fiddle yard  :nono:

Enjoy next weekend, pity my house move means I cannot see your layout, or the others.

• Like 1

Shame you won't be able to make it, Clive, but I suppose "needs must". 

Regarding the layout though, "it" is actually four different layouts which happen to be connected to each other.  All of this time you lot haven't even finished one layout and you've got the cheek to criticise me when I've attempted to make four!  :blum:  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

DoMH - All three of my layouts that have been to LR were not finished (and still aren't).  Why should this one be any different?  Everything I do only ever gets half done!  If it wasn't big, I'd have done something daft, like hand built track for instance.... :mosking:

(The P' T'ing continues..................)

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

Is it a trick of the eye or is your control panel as big as your layout?!!

Glad it is working ok, Dave's won't be!!

I put Redhill in its place ready for the off today.

See you soon.

Hi Paul

Before Andy leaves on Sunday, someone better check he hasn't got a couple of illegals hidden inside his control panel.