The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

MRJ 253 Pre-publication Not-Very-Serious Thread

Zero Gravitas

I saw MRJ for sale several years ago in the newsagent in Russell, Bay of Islands, NZ.

Russell is near Paihia - pronounced Pie Here - but sausages were not in evidence. That's a good thing as we have found New Zealanders, while good at wine, coffee and pies, haven't really got to terms with snorkers.

I never saw it on sale out there.

However I did see a rather smart Double Fairlie locomotive in Dunedin.

Don't remember any sausages, but several places did an excellent fish and chips.

No sign of 253 in WHS HH yet, nor at Euston yesterday.

Bernard

I never saw it on sale out there.

However I did see a rather smart Double Fairlie locomotive in Dunedin.

Don't remember any sausages, but several places did an excellent fish and chips.

No sign of 253 in WHS HH yet, nor at Euston yesterday.

Bernard

Bernard,  

not remembering the NZ concept of a sausage may be your mind blanking out what we found to be a not very enjoyable experience. Usually beef -  although you would be hard pressed to know - with the texture of a "soft" frankfurter.

Jol

Awaiting the post with anticipation for my subs copy but annoyed it is later those distributed to the casual buyer.

Edit;

Postie just been, no MRJ. However the new Rotring Isorapid pen I ordered yesterday arrived, so I can get on with lining those LNWR carriages.

Postie just been, no MRJ. However the new Rotring Isorapid pen I ordered yesterday arrived, so I can get on with lining those LNWR carriages.

Same here Jol.

Not even a charity mail shot with a cheap pen.

It is in the shop that dare not speak it's name and I resisted the urge to pick up a copy and sneak a look.

Bernard

:offtopic:

What do you use in those pens please, Bernard?

Shame on you but good to see a serious question posted in the non serious thread.

Strange how the non serious 253 thread has now received the same amount of postings as the Serious 252 postings but in half the time.

Maybe there is a moral in there somewhere.

Now where are all my old Rotring pens?

P

I don't use them for the conventional purpose.I cut them up for drain pipes and telegraph poles and all manner of other uses.I treat it as a cheap supply of plastic tube.Bernard

Have you quoted the wrong post in your reply?

I don't use them for the conventional purpose.

I cut them up for drain pipes and telegraph poles and all manner of other uses.

I treat it as a cheap supply of plastic tube.

Same here.

Rotring pens for drawing with, cheapo pens for styrene tube supplies. Super for sorting out the correct type of rad fan housing on Clayton 17's.

post-508-0-14192400-1487690938.jpg

P

Never travelling BA again. No complimentary copy of MRJ at boarding.

Unacceptable that the flag carrier does not supply any quality reading material. Social media is the place to air such grievances. Might lead to a hysteric BBC article on the subject.

For info, MRJ not supplied on Cathay Pacific flights either.

For info, MRJ not supplied on Cathay Pacific flights either.

You'll be expecting them stocked high at the front of City buses next. Piled next to the Metro.

I wonder were the strangest place an MRJ has been read. Pictures anybody?

P

You'll be expecting them stocked high at the front of City buses next. Piled next to the Metro.

P

There's clearly demand. 89 replies to this topic alone. It'd be more popular than Metro, I'm sure.

P

For reference the Edinburgh Tram does not have a box full of MRJ next to the box of Metro. You have to alight at York Place and walk down Leith Walk to Harburn Hobbies.

The only issue is that this represents a 16 hour journey each way from Muscat. I can, justify the time or cost 8 times a year.

I did however have a nice chat with the guy on passport control at Heathrow about his April holiday in the Crowne Plaza. Apparently being nice to visitors at passport control is no Lilongwe illegal. The Clippie on the tram was very friendly and my good deed of the day was helping a young Eastern European lady with her suitcase.

All in all a very satisfactory trip to the newsagent.

Now where does one get a sausage for breakfast in Edinburgh.

Oak hill

Oak hill

For reference the Edinburgh Tram does not have a box full of MRJ next to the box of Metro. You have to alight at York Place and walk down Leith Walk to Harburn Hobbies.

The only issue is that this represents a 16 hour journey each way from Muscat. I can, justify the time or cost 8 times a year.

I did however have a nice chat with the guy on passport control at Heathrow about his April holiday in the Crowne Plaza. Apparently being nice to visitors at passport control is no Lilongwe illegal. The Clippie on the tram was very friendly and my good deed of the day was helping a young Eastern European lady with her suitcase.

All in all a very satisfactory trip to the newsagent.

Now where does one get a sausage for breakfast in Edinburgh.

Oak hill

Oak hill

In case this does not make much sense.

Replace can, with can't

Replace Lilongwe with longer.

In case this does not make much sense.

I tended to do the long walk from the Station to Harburn Hobbies. All Pay as You Enter in my day.

Seems like Muscat and smert fones don't mix.

Does anyone know if MRJ has landed in either Leicester, Putney or Gravesend yet? (Muscat Pah! :smile_mini2: )

P

Speaking to you from a Sunny (but breezy) North East of England.

• RMweb Gold

I just wanted to be the first to impart the exciting news that MRJ number 253 has just this minute landed through the letter box at Kernow Towers, on what is otherwise a rather damp and inclement day in Devon.

I have checked the magazine through from cover to cover, and whilst there are plenty of interesting articles about model railways, I’m disappointed to note that there is scant mention of sausages of any kind. I had my hopes up, after their mention in number 252, but there you go, you can’t win ‘em all.

I may ring around a few branches of WH Smith later, just to waste some time so that I can make some irrelevant comments on here about availability, although I can see that I don’t need to ring the Ealing branch.

I just wanted to be the first to impart the exciting news that MRJ number 253 has just this minute landed through the letter box at Kernow Towers, on what is otherwise a rather damp and inclement day in Devon.

I have checked the magazine through from cover to cover, and whilst there are plenty of interesting articles about model railways, I’m disappointed to note that there is scant mention of sausages of any kind. I had my hopes up, after their mention in number 252, but there you go, you can’t win ‘em all.

I may ring around a few branches of WH Smith later, just to waste some time so that I can make some irrelevant comments on here about availability, although I can see that I don’t need to ring the Ealing branch.

CK,

my subs copy also arrived today.

While shopping for a birthday present for the Important Person earlier today, I called in at WHS Ipswich  who have ten in stock, so you don't need to phone them. I found that quantity rather interesting, either someone in the WHS ordering department is rather optimistic or the culture in the local model railway club has changed since I last visited their annual show several years ago.

....earlier today, I called in at WHS Ipswich  who have ten in stock, so you don't need to phone them. I found that quantity rather interesting, either someone in the WHS ordering department is rather optimistic or the culture in the local model railway club has changed since I last visited their annual show several years ago.

Possibly they read the MRJ threads here.....

I have now had  chance to peruse MRJ 253 and can report that, while I found no mention of sausages, Mrs Trellis has made a return.  :read:

Thats good to hear.  How many previous issues of MRJ were comprehensively reviewed?

(I'll have to get down to my usual pusher newsagent to see if they have 253...)

Archived