The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

MRJ 253 Pre-publication Not-Very-Serious Thread

Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Premium

Buchanan Bus station WH Smith let me down.

Can't get to Model Rail Scotland this weekend.

So where does a man buy a copy of MRJ in central Scotland over the next 36 hours, whilst attending a funeral, looking after 2 kids and sleeping a normal amount.

Oakhill

Harburn Hobbies? One of the big railway stations?

• RMweb Premium

Are you actually going to take Sally Forth into Plymouth?

I did and I got out alive, and most importantly I got me mits on a copy of the MRJ. There woz however a casualty, I broke me bus pass, when I had to put me 'and out to stop meself falling off the seat, when Damon Hill pulled off the stop.

• RMweb Gold

Once again my local WH Smith has let me down. There was no sign of MRJ in the Shatti Al Qurm branch. The lady at the counter gave me a blank look and muttered "trainspotter" under her breath in Arabic.

So I headed off to the Intercontinental for a beer and sausage supper watching the sun go down over the Indian Ocean. A cool 20 deg C breeze blew in from the sea and I thought to myself that I really should wear long sleeves in the winter.

Oakhill

Oman is really nice this time of year, I envy you being there. However, give it a couple of months and you are welcome to it until the end of November when it starts to drop below 30 degrees. A much underrated country, a stark contrast to Dubai and I have really enjoyed my times there .

I must admit it took me aback too - perhaps they'll shred the surplus for loft insulation, rodent bedding and so forth.

The newsagent is obviously a shrewd business person. They are clearly catering for the eventuality of having 5 coach loads of model rail enthusiasts turn up at the same time all demanding the latest MRJ. Next month they will order 254, and so on, knowing that one day they will hit the jackpot, and can retire when they sell them all.

I'd imagine that's definitely what's going on.

I'll be on dragons den next week...

Oman is really nice this time of year, I envy you being there. However, give it a couple of months and you are welcome to it until the end of November when it starts to drop below 30 degrees. A much underrated country, a stark contrast to Dubai and I have really enjoyed my times there .

After a few years, only the June / july period becomes too hot at least at night. This will be summer no 8 there will be only about 4 weeks when it is too hot to sit out at night. I have been using the heated seats in the car in winter for years when the morning temp is below 20 C.

I have checked the magazine through from cover to cover, and whilst there are plenty of interesting articles about model railways, I’m disappointed to note that there is scant mention of sausages of any kind. I had my hopes up, after their mention in number 252, but there you go, you can’t win ‘em all.

I have left this reply for over a week in the hope that my frustration/anger would subside but no. Over eight days have past and I still feel the pain that the the sausage meister could have missed such important and colourful references to the meat product most favoured by MRJ readers and editors alike.

Not only were the sausage references in colour but the audacity in seeing the makers of the sausages (Walls & Bowyers) also receive acknowledgment did not go unnoticed on my untrained eye.

After all these passing days, my outrage still knows no bounds in that the Captain missed such blatant & obvious sausage inclusions. I feel it only right that he should be battered around the extremities with a wet Cumberland in the hope it restores his sausage radar to some semblance of efficiency.

I shall say no more on the subject and retreat to my frying pan to take solace until my vexation dies down.

P.s. There were multiple copies of MRJ 253 available in the Bluebell shop at Sheffield Park last weekend.

P.s. There were multiple copies of MRJ 253 available in the Bluebell shop at Sheffield Park last weekend.

Blue Star?

Or perhaps the more esoteric White Circle

Hat, coat and MU Jumper - I'm outta here :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

I have left this reply for over a week in the hope that my frustration/anger would subside but no. Over eight days have past and I still feel the pain that the the sausage meister could have missed such important and colourful references to the meat product most favoured by MRJ readers and editors alike.

Not only were the sausage references in colour but the audacity in seeing the makers of the sausages (Walls & Bowyers) also receive acknowledgment did not go unnoticed on my untrained eye.

After all these passing days, my outrage still knows no bounds in that the Captain missed such blatant & obvious sausage inclusions. I feel it only right that he should be battered around the extremities with a wet Cumberland in the hope it restores his sausage radar to some semblance of efficiency.

I shall say no more on the subject and retreat to my frying pan to take solace until my vexation dies down.

I most humbly abase myself at your feet, O Grand Master of Sausage Observation and Identification.

I have been suffering from Cumberland Deprivation for these last few months, and my faculties are clearly impaired.

• RMweb Premium

I have had cause to visit MRJ's printers this morning, no sausages were in evidence however intelligence (if that can exist in the upper Spen Valley) suggests that 254 will be out some time in April.   I am still available, at exorbitant cost of course, to sit watch in the car park to give advance warning of when it leaves the premises.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I have had cause to visit MRJ's printers this morning, no sausages were in evidence however intelligence (if that can exist in the upper Spen Valley) suggests that 254 will be out some time in April.   I am still available, at exorbitant cost of course, to sit watch in the car park to give advance warning of when it leaves the premises.

Jamie

Do they also make sausages?  Sorry, it would appear that at least someone in the Spen Valley obliges with suitable products -

http://www.metcalfes-butchers.co.uk/page/produce/

• RMweb Premium

Do they also make sausages?  Sorry, it would appear that at least someone in the Spen Valley obliges with suitable products -

http://www.metcalfes-butchers.co.uk/page/produce/

The quote about the intelligence was a common one among my ex colleagues.  Something about it being a tight knit community and allegedly very inbred.

Jamie

Archived