Dapol Class 73 Rear Lights?

I have a Dapol OO Class 73. The GBRf version but that is not relevant I think. From reading threads on here I think it has had its cab lights changed as if they are turned on with a Function button (DCC) they automatically come on at the front end when the loco stops. They turn off when the loco starts and are directional. This seems good to me.

I am thinking of having rear red lights fitted to my 73 as it has none. My layout is a diesel maintenance depot so my locos mostly just potter around with no wagons/coaches attached. However, on reading and researching threads on here I got a bit lost with red blinds at the rear etc etc. So, before I get switchable rear red lights fitted that I can turn on and off with function keys (DCC) I need to know if modern 73s, when parked or running around a modern loco yard light engine, actually have red lights at the rear and where.

Or do modern day drivers of big heavy Class 60s, 66s, 68s and 70s etc, etc, just keep their eyes peeled for annoying little 73s with no lights and a dimly lit red blind at the rear from a previous era just appearing out of the fog at the end of a parking siding?

Even when running light engine in 2016. Blimey. Does the H&S Exec know?

Why? I doubt it's a secret, even though you weren't aware.

The blind red rectangles are lit and are larger than the tiny tail marker lights than a lot of diesel locos from the same vintage have.

G

OK. I give in to wise counsel. After all that is why I asked the question.

Just got to illuminate the non-illuminated blinds on my 73 then? Not sure how to do that. Yet.

Is it the same on the refurbished variant on the Caledonia Sleepers or are they a totally different breed? Not that anyone has produced a model of those yet as far as my limited powers of detection tell me. Mind you the sleeper was being hauled by a GBRf 66 with the 73/? providing hotel power unless they have all now been "tweaked"?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that tail lamps are mainly to show that the train is complete. If you are in sidings you should be driving in such a way as to be able to stop short of any obstruction.

On the main line, signals keep trains apart, not tail lamps...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that tail lamps are mainly to show that the train is complete. If you are in sidings you should be driving in such a way as to be able to stop short of any obstruction.

On the main line, signals keep trains apart, not tail lamps...

Andy G

Unless it is permissive working where one train is allowed into an occupied section, at that point anything may be in the way, lit or not.

For example, a light loco move into its stock in a platform is a permissive move. That stock should not have a tail lamp on as a loco should not move onto stock in that state.

Roy

On DCC, it should be possible to reverse the lights automatically, if you extend the white and yellow wires (or the pins on the decoder that would correspond to those). White would illuminate the white light at one end and a new red one at the other end, while yellow would do the reverse to the existing white at the other end plus a new red one at the 'front' end. It may be possible to substitute a couple of bi-colour LEDs for the existing white ones, then extend the white and yellow connections accordingly.

• RMweb Premium

OK. I give in to wise counsel. After all that is why I asked the question.

Just got to illuminate the non-illuminated blinds on my 73 then? Not sure how to do that. Yet.

Is it the same on the refurbished variant on the Caledonia Sleepers or are they a totally different breed? Not that anyone has produced a model of those yet as far as my limited powers of detection tell me. Mind you the sleeper was being hauled by a GBRf 66 with the 73/? providing hotel power unless they have all now been "tweaked"?

Thanks.

The 73/9s are considerably different from a normal 73/0 or 73/1.

The blinds on a Dapol 73 are white - I coloured them using a red marker pen.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53157-newbryfords-mostly-yellow-workbench/page-53&do=findComment&comment=2369446

Cheers,

Mick

I think the chief foreman in the works is going for bi-colored lamps. I will certainly post a photo or two when the 73 emerges again if the lights are successful.

Thanks for the details about actual working practice. I am fascinated by what actually happens in the real world and how different it can be in from model world where how a loco is wired up can absolutely dictate which lights show and when. Such as rear red lights illuminated on a diesel with a train of coaches/wagons or a parked loco with white at one end and red at the other instead of red (I believe correct) at both ends, etc. I know this can be remedied but it usually adds to the price of a loco considerably, especially if you can't do it yourself. Some of my OO locos after sound fitting, weathering, light modifications, etc have cost roughly the same price as a a new Heljan O gauge Class 37. Especially when postage is factored in. Mind you. I would still need to do similar to those. 

I am waiting for a 73/9 to appear in model form. I think they are great looking locos. I am not aware if one is on a list somewhere order now and delivery in 2021! So different from the original green electro diesels (E6XXXs) if my memory is correct. 

• 1 month later...

post-3753-0-15889300-1490812689_thumb.jpgpost-3753-0-59364300-1490812737_thumb.jpg

As promised ... my Dapol Class 73 has emerged from the works. From my view I think it is great. Directional lights (blinds) front and rear both ends. I can see that there is a possible issue but I am willing to ignore it. I think the fitter has done a very good job indeed. Not sure if my ability to attach photos has worked though. Just done a preview and it looks OK. Phew.

Archived