Arksey Railway - Baseboards & Trackwork well underway

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

Giles Flavell (Denton Brook) had an etched tool made for embossing cobbles and ran a few extra for sale. I have one and suggest you contact him.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I remember reading about that now on his Denton Brook thread - worked well as I recall. I'll drop him a line.

Cracking on nicely with this, Rich - looking forward to seeing what the weekend brings !

Thanks Andi ... in between work ... lets hope!

Rich

Your making great progress there Rich.

Most inspiring I'm handing over the decorating of 2 of our bedrooms to our friendly decorator so I can crack on with my layout.  Not sure which one though, the existing or the "Layout with no name".

Best.

Edited by Barnaby

Rich,

While perhaps not the most exciting things to look at, I do find pictures/posts/information concerning baseboards/benchwork to be very instructional.  I particularly like the way you used the metal angle to get the backscene boards to fit tight.  I'm going to have to give that a try.  Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cheers guys!

Coming slowly. Not had much time today as I was at work this afternoon. Did get half an hour to move the NE brake van kit on this morning, that's not far off being finished now. Also, thanks to a kind offer, I've acquired a Fowler 0-4-0 at an advantageous price to turn into the centre cab version. Conversation with Paul Chetter about DCC sound and speakers will be needed there!

Also realised I didn't have enough rail chairs to finish board 2, so put an order into C&L. Hope I might get and hour or so to finish the point work off before work tomorrow! He says hopefully!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well no work on the track today.  A combination of rain and work 'stopped play' as they say!  However I have had an enjoyable two or three hours tonight doing a bit more on my NE Brake Van kit.

If you've been following on the Marsh Lane thread over on the 7mm Modelling part (have a wander back to this post in November!) then you'll know that having never built a plastic kit before I acquired a Parkside Dundas NE 20-ton brake van kit, in order to 'have a go'!  Its been slow progress, my fault entirely, and tonight has been the first work done on it this year, but its coming together well.  This will appear with NCB markings for Arksey.  Still some detailing work to do, the roof needs attention to sit properly, and of course it needs painting (and the couplings/hooks blackening) but its coming together nicely!

IMG_5025.jpg

IMG_5044.jpg

If you want to see any more pics of it, I've documented the build on the Marsh Lane thread (tonights work can be seen here).  For reference, the Marsh Lane thread will stay as a 'workbench' style thread documenting builds and detailing etc, keeping this Arksey thread specifically for the layout and shots of the rolling stock operating.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Michael Edge, tells me my etched brass kit of ES1 is ready for dispatch, as soon as Royal Mail decide to deliver the cheque, so here goes with another first - never soldered anything other than power connections before, so another adventure approaches!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

Rich, 

I'm loving the thread.  I will admit that I smile a bit every time you note that you are about to embark on something you've never done before.  I cheer you on as, after all, that's a big part of what makes this hobby so fun right?  Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments. I must admit this last 12 months I've felt like getting more adventurous with the model railway. I've had a OO gauge one since being little, but it's always been RTR models and simple card building kits with newspaper and wallpaper paste paint green for hills! While my move to O gauge a few years back was because OO just no longer held that realism for me, it was still based around RTR locos and wagons and Marcway/Peco track.

The past 12 months I've thought I fancy having a go at making a shed building, hence the scratchbuilt, laser cut shed building that got my Marsh Lane Depot thread underway, then I attempted point work, now the plastic and etched brass kits! Really does go to show that it's always worth trying something once! Have to say I've really enjoyed it all too, and being able to share it with others on rmWeb, as well as getting advice on different things has been great. So couldn't agree with your sentiment more!

Thanks for the support!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well a few days of work, but hoping to get back to some modelling on Thursday.  Having finished work today, a nice little box was waiting for me courtesy of Postman Pat!  Those who are following the thread may recall that I'd mentioned that Chris Klein (of Ixion and Minerva fame) had converted one of the Ixion GWR diesel 0-4-0 shunters into a centre-cab version and that having liked the outcome I was going to seek out a model and attempt something similar.

Well thanks to a very kind offer from an rmWebber, the opportunity to purchase such a model at a superb price was grasped with both hands! So this little chappy arrived today...

IMG_5051.jpg

It will be test run on the layout, and then modified.  Im thinking that the next plastic model, the Slaters box wagon will get built first, then onto 'butchering' this as it was recently put to me.  If I can achieve something akin to the example shown here, then I'll be happy!

Then a very kind gesture that has really made my day! Ok, I'm easily pleased, but this is just superb :). One of our fellow rmWebbers who is currently building an O Gauge layout based in the West Midlands (Gosty Hill if you've not seen it, go take a look!) is an absolute whizz at drawing - far better than I'll ever be.  During a recent exchange of messages, I joked that I should commission him to do a drawing of what I'm aiming for on Arksey.  Brian (Tove on here) kindly came back and said, given a bit of time he thought he could come up with something - well that was an under-estimate, and I logged on this evening to post the above pic, and discovered this ...

post-16721-0-07949000-1488930820_thumb.jpg

To say I'm over the moon! Thank you goes to Brian for his time and generosity - it captures exactly what I'm looking to achieve with this little layout, and does it far better than my simple track drawing or worded description ever could. Hope you all like it as much, and I hope it gives the readers of this thread a clear flavour of where I'm going with the layout.  

Rich

• Like 13

Stunning pic from Brian, Rich ! Very atmospheric and would make a nice little backwater siding when you finally get the time and space to expand your layout.

I am am slowly gathering 'supplies' for my next project, but still struggling to find time to get on with my 00, let alone start anything new - and now there is a house move on the horizon it seems a little silly to start anything !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andi,

Yes, I'm in the same boat which is why my BIG O gauge project is on postpone at the moment, and I'm doing this!  Something to occupy me and also to try out different ideas for the bigger project!

Managed to get finished at work earlier than expected today, and had a meeting cancelled, so might be a bit of me time tonight and get that point finished!

Rich

Thanks guy`s, glad you like the scribble.

'Artist`s impression' Rich, your too generous mate.....but glad it`s sort of what your thinking of for the layout.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brian, your the generous one taking the time to do it - a copy is now printed out and on the wall to keep giving me incentive!!

Talking of which, I've had a couple of hours on the first board, and while I've not done much, the whole has been marked for the first ground signal to go in, and the second rail has been added to the headshunt, allowing the NE brake van to be 'rail tested' ... well pushed up and down a couple of times.

IMG_5057.jpg

And seen as the little Fowler arrived the other day, I felt it only right it should stretch its legs ... so the first movement on Arksey has now happened!

Hopefully that will embed the video correctly - if not, just click here to view it (should you be so inclined!) ... ok, ok, I know its not all that exciting, but just wanted to show that progress was being made!  That is running on pure DC at this stage, although the final layout will be switchable between DC and DCC to allow full flexibility.

Rich

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Guys,

A question for you all that I forgot to post earlier.

The layout will have a couple of stone/brick walls, as well as the workshop building. One thought was to use laser cut MDF like I have done previously, but this is all about experimenting, so I'm tempted to look at alternatives, therefore do any of you have any suggestions on ways to construct buildings or walls? I guess 5mm foamboard could be an option for the building shell?

All suggestions/thoughts welcome....

Rich

Guys,

A question for you all that I forgot to post earlier.

The layout will have a couple of stone/brick walls, as well as the workshop building. One thought was to use laser cut MDF like I have done previously, but this is all about experimenting, so I'm tempted to look at alternatives, therefore do any of you have any suggestions on ways to construct buildings or walls? I guess 5mm foamboard could be an option for the building shell?

All suggestions/thoughts welcome....

Rich

Rich,

Here are three different styles of stonework used on Cwm Bach. The first photo shows unadulterated Wills Coarse Stone SSMP200 mounted on 5mm foaam board. There are two shots including the depot with my Ixion Fowler KITCHENER of a large retaining wall panel that was cast from resin using a master made from Wills SSMP200. The retaining wall along the river is DAs clay on 5mm foamboard. The clay was scribed while damp.

For brickwork I usually embossed plasticard mounted on foamboard for larger structures or plasticard for smaller structures e.g. Cwm Bach goods shedd and signal box.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris.

post-13142-0-01644800-1489050717_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-02900600-1489050763_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-83177300-1489050764_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-69368300-1489050766_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-19450900-1489050821_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-75065400-1489050891_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-26136400-1489051273_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-33095800-1489051290_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

Here are three different styles of stonework used on Cwm Bach. The first photo shows unadulterated Wills Coarse Stone SSMP200 mounted on 5mm foaam board. There are two shots including the depot with my Ixion Fowler KITCHENER of a large retaining wall panel that was cast from resin using a master made from Wills SSMP200. The retaining wall along the river is DAs clay on 5mm foamboard. The clay was scribed while damp.

For brickwork I usually embossed plasticard mounted on foamboard for larger structures or plasticard for smaller structures e.g. Cwm Bach goods shedd and signal box.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Thats great thanks - food for thought there.  The idea of DAS clay had occurred to me, as I've got some here, but early attempts a few months back were not all that successful.  Need to have another go with it I think.

Work has progressed today, the Lightbox for Board 2 is about 60% complete, and with any luck will get fitted to the board tomorrow, then just need to repeat for Board 1, at which point the boards will be complete.  Just got the fiddle trays to build then, although I've also decided to use the 4ft traverser that I built last year for my Marsh Lane Depot (which hasn't progressed very far!) on Arksey too, so that will be fitted at one end, and allow longer than planned coal trains to run past the workshop.

Had a couple of hours tonight with trackwork, and the mainline has gone down on Board 1.  Biggest task left there is to complete the first part of the crossover on Board 1, then lay the track on Board 2.  Unfortunately, I think I'm going to run out of rail before I can lay the (off scene) yard headshunt, so that may delay the scenics on that board a little bit until I can get down to Slaters in Darley Dale and acquire some more rail.

Tonights trackwork looks quite good tho to my eye!

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5077.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

The box marked out in black on the right hand side of the main line in the last photo is the future location of one of the ground signals.  Once the trackwork has been painted, and the rails weathered, then it will get cut out with the jigsaw and the signal installed.

Electrics have all been planned, together with how the boards will connect together, and how the wiring is to be routed. I've also got the control panel drawn out in Illustrator, just need to find some way of laser cutting it, and printing the text on at the same time!

Rich

• Like 3

Chris,

Fantastic job with painting the brick/stone work!  Going to have to re-evaluate my work, but then again, challenges are good!

Dave

Dave,

The brickwork requires patience, a steady hand and abstemious habits. A fine brush that keeps it point also helps. Here is another example, being one one of my home-cast low relief Nissen Huts for Tonfanau Camp. I experimented with acrylics on this model in order to exploit the much shorter drying time.

Chris

post-13142-0-80743400-1489134451_thumb.jpg

Hi Rich

Just having a catch up. The layouts coming on in leaps and bounds. Great progress indeed. Looking forward to seeing your conversion of the Fowler Shunter. I remember the Severn Valley Railway had one of these years ago when I was a nipper. It was green and was called High Flyer. They used to use it regularly on works trains. I was always quite fond of it as a kid and always fancied a model of it. Unfortunately I don't know of any kit available for OO gauge. I think the SVR scrapped theirs but there is a similar one preserved at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For a shell for buildings you can use quite a few different things like ,thick plasicard ,foam board ,ply ,thick card, MDF,

Only had a quick mess with foam board but will have a proper go in the future ,it's light and easy to cut.

I've used ply quite a bit ,easy enough to cut ,I used a Stanley knife to cut windows out but make sure you brace it well unless it's real top grade stuff it'll warp

MDF is strong but in my opinion harder to cut things like windows out

Thick cards ok but I'd rather use it for the smaller gauges it's not as sturdy as other alternatives scribed das clay can look great for stonework

But there is plenty of stone and brick plasticard sheets to choose from

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that. Im thinking about both the stone wall the separates the rising road from the railway, behind the workshop building (see Brian's sketch) and the workshop building itself.  I was going to do the latter out of laser cut MDF, but I'm thinking may try a different method for this one.  I've acquired some brick and stone 3D style sheeting which looks really effective, so may try that for one of them.  Im currently thinking that foam board could be a good base for the workshop, but I'm a little concerned about its warping if glue is applied to put the stone sheeting on?  Also I think the stuff I've got here is 5mm, and I'm thinking it maybe needs to be thinner?

Dave,

The brickwork requires patience, a steady hand and abstemious habits. A fine brush that keeps it point also helps. Here is another example, being one one of my home-cast low relief Nissen Huts for Tonfanau Camp. I experimented with acrylics on this model in order to exploit the much shorter drying time.

Chris

That really does look nice Chris.  Im very tempted to try DAS clay for the stone wall at the back of the layout, will have to go have another read of your thread for hints on painting the stones!

Hi Rich

Just having a catch up. The layouts coming on in leaps and bounds. Great progress indeed. Looking forward to seeing your conversion of the Fowler Shunter. I remember the Severn Valley Railway had one of these years ago when I was a nipper. It was green and was called High Flyer. They used to use it regularly on works trains. I was always quite fond of it as a kid and always fancied a model of it. Unfortunately I don't know of any kit available for OO gauge. I think the SVR scrapped theirs but there is a similar one preserved at the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Railway.

Cheers

Marcus

Thanks for the kind comments Marcus.  Yes I'm looking forward to having a go at the Fowler - Im thinking that I'll follow Chris' example with plasticard for the new cab structure, but there are some rather nice quite cheap kits that could be butchered to give the bodyside vents etc, something I think that I'd struggle to recreate satisfactorily in plasticard.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Bit of a general update today.  Firstly, managed to progress a few ideas on how to convert the Ixion Fowler to a centre cab version (as mentioned above) so that is bubbling in the background.  Also the etched brass North Eastern ES1 electric Bo-Bo kit from Judith Edge Kits arrived yesterday, so once I've built this Slaters box van here, I think that will be the next thing to be tackled - should be fun!

I've had a very productive day off today, managed to spend just about the entire day on the layout baseboards, which are now 85% complete.  I've focused on Board 2 - Board 1 you may recall is the left hand one of the pair, which has been used for all of the tracklaying up to press.  Board 2, the right hand baseboard, is now equipped with its overhead light box (although I've yet to install the lights!) and I have to say, considering there is no vertical support at one end to allow an uninterrupted view of the layout, it is far more sturdier than I thought and should work fine.

The whole of the light box, non-scenic side and the non-scenic part of the back have all been painted a satin black to give a much improved appearance.  With the exception of fitting the lights and cutting the hole in the end to lead to the fiddle plate, all the woodwork on this board is now complete.  I've got all the Lightbox parts cut for Board 1 too, so hopefully I may get that one sorted out on Sunday morning, as I doubt much will happen tomorrow due to other commitments.

I forgot to take a photo once the protective newspaper had been removed, but this was how it looked while the paint was drying!  As these are the first portable boards I've made, I think they are on the verge of approaching exhibition quality.  Hopefully my thoughts on the lighting will provide a bright and evenly lit scene.

IMG_5081.jpg

A small gap can be seen between the front and top of the light box, the top is currently sitting a little proud on one of the supports that are on the other side, so I need to take the top off, take a little of the triangular support and replace - typically I didn't notice this until after painting, I took the photo and then looked at it on my phone and saw the light gap!

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

The strange colour of the back in the last picture was because the light was fading this evening and the security light was on and reflecting!  I've also realised looking at the above picture how bad the garage door is now ... something else that needs painting! More work!

Rich

• Like 5