Arksey Railway - Baseboards & Trackwork well underway

MarshLane

It will be far more at home on the big layout eventually with a rake of BDA steel wagons behind it!

Rich

Just another one to add to the 'to do list' then Rich...!

Brian.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian,

Considering the number of BDA wagons the big layout is going to need, you've just added about 24 things to my 'ToDo' list!!

Rich

I don`t think you need my help where that`s concerned Rich ....as your 'to do' list seem`s to be self propagating...!! :D

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Marcus,

He really has, have to say I'm very pleased with it - his previous work has been exemplary, but I think he's pulled out all the stops with this one, despite an almost over-whelming desire to outshop it in Colas Rail orange and black!!

Work has also started on building the brass NER ES1 kit for Arksey tonight, but as I'm keeping this thread to the actual layout, I'm documenting that build over on the Marsh Lane Depot thread.  Hopefully some trackwork to be done, well it is Easter weekend, and Easter wouldn't be Easter without engineering work would it!

Rich

Hopefully I'll get my loading shed somewhere near as well this weekend. Got 5 days off so will try and make the most of it although a trip out to the flat lands for some 37 haulage is also on the cards. Unless of course 37424 produces on the Cumbrian Coast then a change of direction will be in order.

Cheers

Marcus

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

A quick update, just incase any of you thought this thread had been abandoned!  It hasn't just work and family life has been getting in the way far too much recently!  But I'm back on with track laying on the second board, just waiting for the delivery of some rail from Slaters.  One of the purposes of this layout, as well as giving me something to run when I want it, was to try out different things and different ideas.  So the trackwork on Board 1 is all timber sleepers with plastic chairs, where as board 2 is going to be copper clad sleepers with soldered rail - something I've done done before so another new bit to try!  The sleepers are here now, the board is in a place that it can be worked on, so hopefully this weekend I may get some track down!  

Board two is quite simple - basically a continuation of the main line, the other end of the crossover, and the single road into the engine shed.  On a 3ft x 18" board, the aim was to be more scenery than railway, as you'll observe from the artists impression that Tove kindly did earlier in the thread.  If your referring back to it Board 1 is nearest to you, and Board 2 is furthest, with the shed building being on Board 2.  Hopefully some pictures to add to things by the weekend, and if I can get the main line laid, then there might even be some trial running! Wow!

Rich

• Like 3

Points will be worked by servos, mounted below the boards. These will be mounted in my own design of servo mounts, which are laser-cut MDF.

IMG_4884LARGE.jpg

Rich

Hi Rich

Back in this post (February) you showed your design of laser cut servo mount. I am working towards servos for a layout and would be interested to hear about the design. Is it intended to hold micro swithes as well? It looks like it might use piano wire to move the throw, am I correct? Do you have files for the cutter?

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

Back in this post (February) you showed your design of laser cut servo mount. I am working towards servos for a layout and would be interested to hear about the design. Is it intended to hold micro swithes as well? It looks like it might use piano wire to move the throw, am I correct? Do you have files for the cutter?

Regards

David

Hi David,

Yes it was my own design, and yes, the two 'wings' on either size could be added or left off depending on whether micro switches are needed or not, and yes piano wire could be attached to the servo arm, and through the small hole in the top to work the point.  Various things have got in the way of modelling just lately, but the initial tests proved good. Im hoping to have one actually on a point in the next couple of weeks, so can keep you updated.  Yes, as its my own design, I've got the files :)

Rich 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been giving consideration to the motive power - rolling stock I've got some ideas on the kits I need to acquire for the wagons, but trains won't be very long so shouldn't be an issue.  However having seen Chris Klein's centre-cab version of the Ixion Fowler, Im going to be keeping my eyes open for one at a low price and see if I can do a similar conversion.  No particular real-life example in mind, but that one does look more 'I'm here to do a job' to me!

This pic from Chris Klein's thread, illustrates what I'm talking about trying to replicate - all copyright is Chris' not mine.

post-13142-0-04469800-1461943484_thumb.j

Rich

Afternoon all,

Back in February, I said I'd got plans to copy Chris Klein's idea (pictured above) of adapting the O gauge Fowler 0-4-0 diesel into a centre cab version. Having acquired one, the project stalled a little due to lack of time, but having now learnt how to use CAD software, I decided it was an ideal first project to look at designing and then getting 3D printed.  So that is what I've been doing.  One of the CAD images attached below, others can be seen on my Marsh Lane thread, see the signature.  Really pleased with how its come out so far, now to get it 3D printed (another first for me) and see whats worked and what hasnt.

post-16721-0-26365300-1504367979_thumb.png

Progress on the baseboards is slow, but getting there now - hopefully some pictures shortly.

RIch

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Rich,

New to CAD? Well, I must say that I'm impressed.  Love the design - please let us know how it progresses!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sincere apologies, somehow I'd missed your comment.  Thanks for your input and yes to be honest I'm very impressed with what I've been able to achieve!  I've got a couple of smaller items for my Metrocar being 3D printed at the moment, and as long as they come out ok, this is going next.  I've removed the handrails and horn from it (as those bits were below thickness for 3D printing anyway) but fingers crossed.

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a quick update guys, work on the layout has stalled for a variety of reasons, although I still intend to proceed in time.

However, the centre-cab Fowler, mentioned in the CAD drawings above has now been 3D printed and has arrived!

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111328-marsh-lane-depot-reworking-the-ixion-fowler/?p=2958116 for the outcome!

Rich