Arksey Railway - Baseboards & Trackwork well underway

MarshLane

Hi Brian,

Thanks for that. Im thinking about both the stone wall the separates the rising road from the railway, behind the workshop building (see Brian's sketch) and the workshop building itself.  I was going to do the latter out of laser cut MDF, but I'm thinking may try a different method for this one.  I've acquired some brick and stone 3D style sheeting which looks really effective, so may try that for one of them.  Im currently thinking that foam board could be a good base for the workshop, but I'm a little concerned about its warping if glue is applied to put the stone sheeting on?  Also I think the stuff I've got here is 5mm, and I'm thinking it maybe needs to be thinner?

That really does look nice Chris.  Im very tempted to try DAS clay for the stone wall at the back of the layout, will have to go have another read of your thread for hints on painting the stones!

Thanks for the kind comments Marcus.  Yes I'm looking forward to having a go at the Fowler - Im thinking that I'll follow Chris' example with plasticard for the new cab structure, but there are some rather nice quite cheap kits that could be butchered to give the bodyside vents etc, something I think that I'd struggle to recreate satisfactorily in plasticard.

Rich

Rich,

This photo shows the goods shed on my old 4mm scale Abersoch layout that was demolished last year to make way for Tonfanau Camp. It was built from 2mm mounting card and covered in DAS clay. The clay was fixed to the card with pva glue. The model is now 27 years old and in as good condition as when it was built with no signs of warping or other deteriooration. An article describing its construction appeared in the March 1993 edition of the Railway Modeller.

Chris

post-13142-0-61868200-1489268927_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well I seem to be flying along at the moment - far quicker than I hoped, although its all about to slow down for a week or two, as the next 10-14 days at work and home are likely to chaos!  However, despite thinking I'd got a day to myself, I got dragged away by a couple of relatives to help them with bits until just after lunch, then having returned to a small amount of sunshine thought sod it, I'm going to have a couple of hours on the baseboards ... so I did!

Both were erected for only the second time, and came together well.  The two scenic ends were removed from the layout and the exit holes to the fiddle yard cut out of them with the jigsaw.  Then, having previously cut all the various parts for the Lightbox on Board 1, I set about putting everything together, which almost worked!  Unfortunately one small supporting block of wood decided to split as the last screw went in, which left the Lightbox with one corner being about an inch lower than it should have been, so remedial action dealt with, it finally came together well.  Although the side and back of Board 1 have now been painted black, I've still got the paint the light box and bottom front.  

A couple of people have asked on PMs why go for black - why not choose a brighter colour?  Well as a photographer, I always feel that when a colour photo is placed on a black background, the colours appear more vivid and brighter and the detail jumps off the page.  The reason for this is that the eye is no distracted by other colours and things going on, and mentally tunes out the black background to focus on the image.  Im hoping the same will hold true for the layout, with viewers eyes focusing on the two boards and the scenery.

So before track ballasting and scenery can start whats left to do?

- Fasten the top of the lightbox on Board 1

- Well the front and Lightbox of Board 1 needs painting black - at which point all of the woodwork is complete on the core layout

- The lights need fitting to the inside of the light box and wiring back to the central connector that will be on each board

- The track needs finishing on Board 1, thats really just the point

- All track needs laying on Board 2

Thats not too much actually, probably another days work one way or another, but like I said earlier - it will probably be a few days before anything else gets done.

I thought it would be useful to show the full layout as it currently stands:

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

Also just to show whats behind the light boxes, the lights will be fitted to the angled blocks of wood - my aim being that by shooting the light at 45degrees, it should bounce around the layout and provide an even light.

IMG_5092.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well managed to get a couple of hours this afternoon to do a little more trackwork on the layout.  Still need to paint part of Board 2 black, but that can wait for a decent day!  The pointwork on this board is now almost complete, just have the second wing rail, and two check rails to fit.  This is only the fourth 'vee' I have soldered up and I'm really pleased with how clean its come out and how its worked!

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

Once the point is completed, the next task is to get the power feeds soldered in, then it can all be spray painted and weathered before being ballasted.

EDIT: Forgot to add, there are some chairs missing at the moment, those need to be added too!

In other news, I've also got the body off the Fowler that arrived last week - and have been measuring up and designing the drawings for the new centre cab body, so that is progressing slowly too.  Like Chris Klein's centre cab version, the position of the motor and circuit boards is such that I don't think I can get away from them showing within the cab, but I have a sneeky idea that I might be able to hide them a little, but time will tell.

IMG_5097.jpg

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 9

Just put in some blacked out boy racer Windows and replace the sound chip with a boomin stereo. Pimp my Fowler. HaHa.

Seriously though I'm looking forward to this build as I would be interested in having a go in OO eventually. I definitely had a soft spot for the one at the SVR when I was a nipper. I can remember now building one out of Lego. Would make a nice little shunter in the quarry.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just put in some blacked out boy racer Windows and replace the sound chip with a boomin stereo. Pimp my Fowler. HaHa.

Seriously though I'm looking forward to this build as I would be interested in having a go in OO eventually. I definitely had a soft spot for the one at the SVR when I was a nipper. I can remember now building one out of Lego. Would make a nice little shunter in the quarry.

Thanks Marcus ... hahaha good idea! although I might pass on that one! :). Thanks for the picture, thats helpful, didn't realise there was one at Embsay.

Box and Trackwork are looking excellent Rich, please keep the pics coming mate.

Cheers Andy.

Rich

• Like 1

Here's a picture of the one currently at Embsay

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

A small cautionary note that the bonnets on this type are narrower than those on the Ixion model, which are a very cosy fit over the motor and other gubbins. Here are a few shots that show the construction and finished conversion. This is an impression rather than a faithful replica. For those who are interested, the full story of this conversion is at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110326-ixion-fowler-diesel-conversion-bodgers-away/

post-13142-0-09657700-1489818332_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-91249000-1489818333_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-80186500-1489818335_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A small cautionary note that the bonnets on this type are narrower than those on the Ixion model, which are a very cosy fit over the motor and other gubbins. Here are a few shots that show the construction and finished conversion. This is an impression rather than a faithful replica. For those who are interested, the full story of this conversion is at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110326-ixion-fowler-diesel-conversion-bodgers-away/

Thanks Chris,

Im going down the same road as you - to give the impression of the type, rather than a mm perfect replica!

The finished version of yours does look really nice!  Need to speak to Paul about sugar cube speakers for it when its complete, along with the correct audio!

Rich

Thanks Chris,

Im going down the same road as you - to give the impression of the type, rather than a mm perfect replica!

The finished version of yours does look really nice!  Need to speak to Paul about sugar cube speakers for it when its complete, along with the correct audio!

Rich

As I have written elsewhere, my locos, rolling stock and track are to 7mm Finescale standards and my buildings, senery, signalling, figures etc are to ScaleSeven.

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Quick question, how did you get the rivet detail to show through on the plastikard??  Is this gently tapping a blunt needle from the other side?

Rich

Chris,

Quick question, how did you get the rivet detail to show through on the plastikard??  Is this gently tapping a blunt needle from the other side?

Rich

Rich,

I use an antique bradawl with a rounded point to push out the rivets from the back.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well a little bit of progress today.  Lovely sunny afternoon, with a decent temperature for once, so managed to get one of the boards set up in the back garden, the point is now all finished (bar for the tie bar) and 60% of the power feeds are now in an soldered too.  Im putting a minimum of two power feeds to each section of rail, and each feed is doubled up - i.e. two separate wires on each rail - the aim being that should any wires come loose in the future it shouldn't affect the running of the layout.  

Once I've completed the power feeds and sorted the tie-bar out, then its onto the trackwork of the other board. I've decided that I'm going to get that trackwork sorted out and powered, then deal with colouring the rail and sleepers all in one go.

post-16721-0-74151100-1490471584_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-01146100-1490471591_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking very nice indeed Rich, proper trackwork looks the bizz mate.

Cheers Andy,

Must say I'm really pleased with this one, the best looking one of the four I've built since I started with handbuilt track late last year.  Symmetry looks good, the 'vee' came together very cleanly and wagons running over it are as smooth as as silk!  A few little silly mistakes made, like putting chairs on when they should have been left off and added later, but nothing major.  Eager to get on with ballasting and getting some scenery on it!  One of the point blades for the other board has also been done, so hopefully that won't take much pulling together next week!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Rich! Handbuilt track is on my "things to learn after I retire" list. At the moment I have no room for a layout of my own....one day!

JF

Hi Jon,

It was one of those that was always on the 'Oh good god thats way too complicated for me' list.  Until I decided to try it during the latter half of last year - and thanks to the kind comments from several on here, I'm really happy with where I've got to, and to get there after just the fourth turnout, I'm delighted!  Given what you achieve with your signals, wooden or copper clad trackwork won't pose you any problems at all!

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well I'm progressing slowly with Arksey, although little to show in pictures.  All of the power feeds are now in on Board 1 - I've also had to amend the sleepers at the board end, as I decided they were a little too delicate, so have replaced with a copper clad sleeper and soldered the track to it - the result is I now need to go back and glue the chairs back into place so it looks right!  Im waiting on some more rail coming to finish the trackwork on Board 2, as I ran out - so hopefully there may be some pictures this weekend!

Also had a further read through the instructions for my NER Electric Loco, so am building the courage to start on that brass kit!  A couple of other projects are meandering along in the background too - more annon!

I mentioned on my Marsh Lane thread that I'd been in London on the day of the Westminster terrorist attack, thankfully no where near it, but in the absence of any model photographs, I though I'd post a couple from my journey down and of King's Cross.  I do love railway architecture, just a shame that the modern architecture doesn't live up to the standards and attractiveness of the older!

So anyway, we'll start with a couple of views of Peterborough LIP - taken out of a good old Mark 3 coach.  Im dreading the rapidly approaching days of these new plastic boxes on wheels when there are no trains that you can stick ones head out of the window on the approach to a station!  Always felt Peterborough would be an interesting little loco depot to do in model form.

post-16721-0-70750700-1491252640_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-07813400-1491252728_thumb.jpg

Then we're onto the wonder of King's Cross.  Unfortunately my business meeting prevented me getting any further railway wise, but did manage to have 20 minutes walk around with various photographs of station, architecture and rolling stock.  So as to not bore everyone, I've kept this short selection pretty much to rolling stock!  Hope you enjoy and it provides inspiration.  All taken on my pocket Nikon 1 that I have for these occasions when I don't want the big DSLR with me!

post-16721-0-78362300-1491252759_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-70817000-1491252781_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-20896200-1491252807_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-54687100-1491252857_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-68325900-1491252876_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-28473800-1491252897_thumb.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed the update, back to modelling next!

Rich

• Like 8

Nice selection of pics there Rich, the Modern Depot's seem to lack any character but still ouse atmosphere, same really for that loan 66. The Old Station Building on the other hand looks warm and inviting with it's lovely red brickwork.

Glad you were away from the troubles that day mate.

• RMweb Gold

Wow! A buffer stop.

I think they are suppose to be the indestructible kind!!  Sure there is more bolts in that thing that there was in the Titanic ... then again, look what happened to that!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well some of you who have been reading my other thread in the 7mm Modelling section all have seen that last year I acquired a slightly damaged Class 60 in Trainload Metals livery - no major problems, just some varnish that had either been spilt down the bodyside or hadn't dried properly, but the more I looked at it the more I decided I didn't like it!  So while wanting to recreate a local machine, that was the obvious candidate for repaint.  Hence it was dispatched to a mate in Sheffield for a trip through the paint shop and was duly returned this afternoon looking amazing!  Its too big to run on the future two-board, 6' long Little Arksey but will be one of the locos for the big loft layout.  

post-16721-0-66296200-1491674205_thumb.jpg

There's some more pics over on the other thread, click here for Post #743, if you want to take a look, but may I present No. 60006 Scunthorpe Ironmaster, in ex-works condition having just been named!

Rich

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Cracking job Rich, you must be well pleased with that now, shame it won't fit on Arksey mate.

Thanks Andy,

Must admit Andi has done a fabulous job with it.  Just needs a DCC decoder now - I think in all honesty, it may just fit in the back siding (that doesn't currently have any rails on the sleeper) so may make the odd appearance!

It will be far more at home on the big layout eventually with a rake of BDA steel wagons behind it!

Rich