Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2022 at 16:55, On30runner said:

272797557_10166322087740717_357036179756864703_n.jpg

At some point every month, I come back to this thread and relook at the post above transforming a Triang Nellie, and think I'd really like to come up with a small layout that could utilise something like that!  Then lo and behold while looking through some old Railway Modellers, I came across a layout I have long thought was wonderful - not rivet-counter accurate, but just a lovely nice little layout.  The Hardup, Stoneybroke and Skint!  See RM August 1992.  14'x2' over five boards, depicting a fictional railway, built cheaply using vehicles to O-16.5 to suggest narrow gauge.  They included former 'Desmond' style locos and and a couple of Peco Hunslet kits.

That then set me thinking about what could be done with some small locos, modified/updated and some cheap rolling stock ... and hey presto! I found myself back here looking at Nellie once more!  Given that the Electrotren chassis seems to have gone the way of the Do-do ... could @On30runner (or anyone who has one of the electrotren chassis) tell me what diameter wheels they use please?  I have a plan ...... (What you all mean, oh dear 😜)

Rich

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

At some point every month, I come back to this thread and relook at the post above transforming a Triang Nellie, and think I'd really like to come up with a small layout that could utilise something like that!  

It is a super job, but getting hold of the Electrotren chassis is becoming more and more expensive on eBay - most that appear now seem to be abroad, which means customs & excise wasting large amounts of modelling tokens by demanding import duty! 😠

The thing is, that conversion has the bulky and businesslike look of the Hunslet Victory type of industrial loco, so is really appealing.

Love to know if anyone has found an alternative supply of the Electrotren chassis - but maybe someone has done but is keeping quiet about it to ensure stocks are there when they want them?!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Love to know if anyone has found an alternative supply of the Electrotren chassis - but maybe someone has done but is keeping quiet about it to ensure stocks are there when they want them?!

HOURS OF FUN!

Like everything else nowadays, these locos are produced in batches, and we would appear to be between batches at the moment.

However, they have also appeared under the Jouef Junior label, so it may be worth looking out for those as well as looking under Electrotren.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/04/2023 at 14:47, Mr Cervus said:

With some hesitation, my debut contribution to RMWeb... This may just about come within the rules (rules?) of Pug-bashing, but I think in the spirit.  The running plate at least is from a Hornby Caley Pug; the rest of the body from a Bachmann Junior saddle tank, and the chassis from an old Bachmann split chassis J72.  And then lots of razor saw. In the 'before' picture, showing recording everything I thought might be used, the in-practice unused 'Percy' has been redacted. All picked up cheaply at shows.  With luck the prototype #LSWR330 is identifiable.

_IGP5778.JPG

_IGP5774 redacted.jpg

_IGP3323.JPG

A man after my own heart, it seems. Welcome to the madhouse.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I have no time at present as I have many urgent things to so do…

So, of course, now is the perfect time to start another “Pugbash”, if messing about with a cheap diesel loco counts!!

A very speculative £22 got me the following Jouef loco off eBay, although the seller’s description of “blue livery” is even more inaccurate in the flesh, as it is most definitely green!!

IMG_3276.jpeg.0607f1b670cfe5d89802b4e337ccc657.jpeg

Side on, it’s pretty obvious this is an HO model of a European prototype, but what caught my fancy was the jackshaft driven wheels - is this still an 0-6-0, or is there another way to describe it?

IMG_3277.jpeg.7eee0787676b9449fb0678e0522372dc.jpeg

Long bonnet - seller’s photos, taken on a windowsill!

IMG_3278.jpeg.1be5111da3389be02c36292f669df67a.jpeg

Short bonnet end - the metal tension lock loops were (I think) of Triang Hornby parentage, glued onto the buffer beam which itself was part of the chassis. End on, it is clear that the buffers are to HO scale as they are too narrow for OO.!

IMG_3279.jpeg.c45853ccc6734abb676a8d82db680304.jpeg

From underneath, the coarse flanges on the wheels suggest an older model, and there is a lot of play between the wheels and motion!!

However, it has the hunkered look of an industrial shunter, and so that is the project with a replacement cab based upon that of the Drewery 04 (which when held against the model is almost exactly the same size as the current cab)

HOURS OF FUN!

Henceforth this project shall be known as the Jouefstein … or maybe Drouefstein

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

So, of course, now is the perfect time to start another “Pugbash”, if messing about with a cheap diesel loco counts!!

Side on, it’s pretty obvious this is an HO model of a European prototype, but what caught my fancy was the jackshaft driven wheels - is this still an 0-6-0, or is there another way to describe it?

From underneath, the coarse flanges on the wheels suggest an older model, and there is a lot of play between the wheels and motion!!

However, it has the hunkered look of an industrial shunter, and so that is the project with a replacement cab based upon that of the Drewery 04 (which when held against the model is almost exactly the same size as the current cab)

HOURS OF FUN!

Yes, it is still an 0-6-0 with jackshaft drive.  Not common in the UK now, but it was in earlier times.

That Jouef model is a DB V60 (or 260/261 class), the model dates from 1978.  Link here to some of the variants they issued

http://www.joueftrains.com/diesel locomotives.htm

Although not quite the same drive arrangment, some early Armstrong Whitworth shunters for the LMS had jackshaft drive.

Photo here from the derbysulzers site

aw7058willesden.jpg

As you say Steve, hours of fun.  I look forward to seeing your Jouef/Drewry bash.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

A very speculative £22 got me the following Jouef loco off eBay, although the seller’s description of “blue livery” is even more inaccurate in the flesh, as it is most definitely green!!

IMG_3276.jpeg.0607f1b670cfe5d89802b4e337ccc657.jpeg

IMG_3277.jpeg.7eee0787676b9449fb0678e0522372dc.jpeg

Long bonnet - seller’s photos, taken on a windowsill!

IMG_3278.jpeg.1be5111da3389be02c36292f669df67a.jpeg

Short bonnet end - the metal tension lock loops were (I think) of Triang Hornby parentage, glued onto the buffer beam which itself was part of the chassis. End on, it is clear that the buffers are to HO scale as they are too narrow for OO.!

IMG_3279.jpeg.c45853ccc6734abb676a8d82db680304.jpeg

HOURS OF FUN!

Very nice. This might also be of interest (I think there was an 0-6-0 version as well): https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fowler_0-4-0_Diesel_shunter,_Erwood_Station,_Powys,_Wales.jpg

• Like 5

I think UK jackshaft drive favored drive to one end or the other, not in the middle.   The LMS example above being a noted exception.    May want to see if you can swap the last drive axle with the jackshaft?

22 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I think UK jackshaft drive favored drive to one end or the other, not in the middle.   The LMS example above being a noted exception.    May want to see if you can swap the last drive axle with the jackshaft?

I think there are some industrial examples where the jackshaft is intermediate. I’ll have to consult my books to see what 0-6-0 Fowlers looked like.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2023 at 22:11, SteveyDee68 said:

Oooh! Me likey!!

I have to ask, though … what happened to the big lump at the end of the chassis? Isn’t that part of the motor?

IMG_3271.jpeg.b763b1a26c54707a0c431fc4af3d9dcf.jpeg

Yes, it did hold the motor, conducted power to the brushes, and generally provided weight.  I'll attach a couple of (poor) pictures to show what I did - a lot of bashing, not much pug, I think you'll agree.  Much of this may be relevant only if one is using the old split chassis J72, I have no idea what the new one is like (though I trust the cab's not full of motor) and I'll be tempted to get one when this all stops working.  My comments relate only to the old J72 chassis.  Wheelbase is right but it's too long overall for a 330 (I imagine also true of new Bachmann J72 chassis?!), so I had to shorten in front and back.  In the process of getting an empty cab, necessitating moving the motor, I had also to lose the rear bolt that holds the chassis halves together and contrive a new fixing, down between the rear wheeels I think; and to get light under the boiler, the reversed motor had to be mounted diagonally on a bed of plastic (!) and those bits of brass you see in the pictures sprung in place to form the electrical connection from pickups to motor.  It looks horrible but runs better than I deserve.  I don't profess to be an engineer and now you can all agree: I was aware of many shortcomings in the adaptation, digital photography mercilessly shows more, and only that lumpen bit of chassis under the footplate can be attributed the bashed origin... other faults are entirely my own.  But I do appreciate the generous responses - thanks citizens!

_IGP3350.JPG

Edited by Mr Cervus
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 04/05/2023 at 16:34, Mr Cervus said:

And the other view, from the footplate end.

_IGP3352.JPG

Sorry - I’m giving that a “craftsmanship/clever” icon all

day long! That is soooooo beyond my skill set at present!

My “pugly diesel bash” has progressed to cutting off the buffers from the bottom chassis frame and hacking lumps of plasticard about to create solid buffer beams at front and back, whittling away superfluous detail in the process. Photos as proof of said butchery will follow in due course. As will a request to ask from whence might I purchase buffer stocks and great big industrial buffers from?!

HOURS OF VACUUMING BITS OF PLASTICARD OUT OF THE CARPET FUN! 

Edited by SteveyDee68
Impruuvd grammerr & spellink
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Sorry - I’m giving that a “craftsmanship/clever” icon all

day long! That is soooooo beyond my skill set at present!

My “pugly diesel bash” has progressed to cutting off the buffers from the bottom chassis frame and hacking lumps of plasticard about to create solid buffer beams at front and back, whittling away superfluous detail in the process. Photos as proof of said butchery will follow in due course. As will a request to ask from

whence might I purchase buffer stocks and great big industrial buffers from?!

HOURS OF VACUUMING BITS OF PLASTICARD OUT OF THE CARPET FUN! 

If you'd seen me at work, you'd have said that of my skill set as well!  Honestly it felt like I had made most of this three times. I suggest one might consider 'pugbashing' as cheaply-bought (relatively) experience that may also, almost as a by-product, yield a pleasing locomotive.  if it seems a total loss, mainly it's a loss of one's time.  I would never have had the nerve to treat a decent RTR model so brutally but it gave me the confidence to 'improve' (???) better models that were not quite what I wanted.

You should see my carpet.

Re: definitions... my rule of thumb is if it says on the box it's unsuitable for those under 5, it's bashable (= 'pug')... but if it says unsuitable for those under 14, it probably takes itself seriously as a model.  Let that hare NOT start running again.

• Like 6

I have a similar philosophy, having got back into modelling after a twenty odd years break, I wasn't confident about hacking about an expensive loco, so I set about a Mainline 2251 bought for £15.

A change of tender and a lot of modification to both it and the loco, but I wasn't worried about scrapping it.

It certainly has given me the confidence and enthusiasm to tackle lots of other projects.

IMG_20221203_231530.jpg.ab958a257f99b79ece69b02b1ba6af47.jpg

IMG_20221204_021718.jpg.77a0ffd470b7e43ec7faa6ab6123b915.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

I find myself honestly intrigued, amazed, and impressed by everyone's work here; and indeed, I fancy a go myself.

But first, does anyone know where I could go to find line drawings, preferably 00 scale? I fancy taking a bash at something like the NLR 4-4-0T's, similar to what @33C did; albeit with the earlier inside cylinder versions.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall there was a line drawing of an NLR 4-4-0T (and indeed coaches) in an MRC in the early 1970s, described as 'a real Dickensian train for Christmas' so I imagine a December issue.  Goodness knows why I remember that. Anyway probably the outside cylinder version.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1