Show us your Pugbashes, Nellieboshes, Desmondifications, Jintysteins

Corbs

4 hours ago, Barclay said:

I must admit I quite like the rear extension, I think it looks like some of the American switchers. On mine I have added a handrail to this area to make it look more like it has a function, though it would be a lively place to stand when the loco is in motion. By the way if I can find the spare cab left over when I built this I will let you know.

PICT1138.JPG.80c5bb041c4d58aecb19a7ee1401e017.JPG

That is magnificent - its origins are obvious but it looks SO different! The handrail does disguise the awkwardness and I did contemplate this (having seen it done in another thread) but in the end got the saw out instead! 

If I had found a spare body I would (probably!) have removed the rear part of the cab on mine up to and including the cab door, then grafted on the rear section of the second one including the cab side window, either retaining two cab side windows or creating one rectangular window, depending on how it all fitted on the extension.

Another change I looked at was flattening the bonnet top in front of the cab windscreen in the manner of some US switchers to improve visibility through (desirable!) larger windscreens, but the top of the motor housing inside the bonnet was too close, it would have created a lot of extra work for not much gain and probably have looked rather unconvincing, so the narrow windscreens remain.

PS Many thanks for the offer of a spare cab (if you can find it!) but my Dock Shunter butchery aspirations have been fulfilled........unless I find another set of suitable turned brass wheels I never knew I had 😁.....

Edited by Halvarras
Added the PS
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/12/2022 at 13:17, SteveyDee68 said:

Page 2 contributors all contacted, except @ahardy as the page referenced by @Corbs is locked and “archived” - I don’t know if that indicates that @ahardy is no longer with us on RMWeb (for undisclosed reasons) or it is simply that the thread itself is very old?

Poor @Corbs - he has this brilliant idea to start up this amazing library of creativity, RMWeb does a great impression of a dying swan (or should that be an ex-parrot?) and suddenly he finds himself receiving multiple requests to start putting things right! 

Hardly seems fair, does it?

So I shall publicly apologise to him here right now for what I am sure he will feel will be my continuous pestering over the next few weeks (I’ve got another 113 pages to check, and he’s almost guaranteed to have posted at least once on every page!) and only hope that at the end of it all he won’t consider using the services of @iL Dottore* to silence me!

HOURS OF FUN!!

* I’ve read posts by @iL Dottore - there’s always an underlying hint of nefariousness beneath the lovely modelling!! 😆

@ahardy is now @rapidoandy so I don't think he uses the personal account much any more ;)

No worries about the badgering, I am sure I saved a folder of pics as a backup but danged if I can remember where at the moment, might be on an old hard drive.

Edited by Corbs
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some years back I posted a pic of a wee 0-4-0 saddle tank for my Ffarquhar Layout using a Bachmann chassis as it's basis. Well that model has been through several rebuilds since then and its latest form is the final form as I doubt I can get it any closer to how I originally want it to be. So once more the chassis is Bachman only this time the body shell is a custom made one, made for me by a friend, nearly fully painted and lined with just the handrails and crew to fit and that should be it. 

20221214_212917.jpg.b3c4f7f389794f9c1bfb55ae08ffc438.jpg20221214_212857.jpg.1397efa487d1df15f38948de70cdb783.jpg20221214_212844.jpg.5f177f7ebfd9fa69af27153b8dea1cf6.jpg

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, mpeffers said:

Or the lesser-spotted 4-4-0T:

relaxinghobby’s post prompted me to share my own effort earlier this year (including finding a reasonably convincing prototype!). I had planned to pop it in here in due course too.

F7892293-3CEF-4CD3-A538-D33A00C58DFD.jpe

this is very pretty!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mpeffers said:

relaxinghobby’s post prompted me to share my own effort earlier this year (including finding a reasonably convincing prototype!). I had planned to pop it in here in due course too.

F7892293-3CEF-4CD3-A538-D33A00C58DFD.jpe

What's the prototype, please? To me it looks quite a bit like a Highland Railways P Class 'Yankee Tank',  albeit with a bigger bunker. Whatever the inspiration, it's a bonny bash.

Best wishes

Cam

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CameronL said:

What's the prototype, please? To me it looks quite a bit like a Highland Railways P Class 'Yankee Tank',  

I think I had the Yankee Tank (or similar) in mind when I purchased the constituent parts and started scheming. Searching for images of 4-4-0Ts to get the proportions right lead me to the NBR R Class though, with a lot of Nellie’s familiar Drummond features:

d51.jpg

I’m keeping the outside cylinders, though 😉

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mpeffers said:

I think I had the Yankee Tank (or similar) in mind when I purchased the constituent parts and started scheming. Searching for images of 4-4-0Ts to get the proportions right lead me to the NBR R Class though, with a lot of Nellie’s familiar Drummond features:

d51.jpg

I’m keeping the outside cylinders, though 😉

You could probably bash one of those out of the J83 and a Nellie combined.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This started off as a Jintystein, originally a conversion detailed in a 1970s model railway magazine and based around the Triang 3F tank. 

I decided to try using a late Hornby Jinty and thanks to a conspiracy with fellow modeller @chuffinghell, it all got rather out of hand. End result was a pair of ex MSWJR Beyer Peacock 0-4-4 tanks that we were very pleased with. This one has the chassis, motor and the four wheels without traction tyres. The body is printed, with brass and white metal details. The trailing bogie is scratchbuilt with Hornby wheels and the loco has eight wheel pickup.

IMG_20220902_232817.jpg.4b6680cd98a73fe9af8a394e77fdf586.jpg

I do like this loco, a great advance on the original Railway Modeller project. It also shows how good 3D printing can be.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi all,

Looking at the above very nice 0-4-4 made me wonder if this could creep in to the outer edges of being a Jintystien. As an M7stien. It is my attempt to make a E7 0-6-2 tank. I think it came out reasonably well. It is a Butchered Triang M7 with a modified Wrenn N2 chassis.

DSC_1104.JPG

DSC_1105.JPG

DSC_1106.JPG

DSC_1107.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, brumtb said:

I do like this loco, a great advance on the original Railway Modeller project. It also shows how good 3D printing can be.

Tony

The dimensions are accurate too, the Beyer is 18" longer than a Jinty.

The main reason for doing it the way we did was to push 3d printing techniques. This wasn't handed over to any commercial outfit. It was created on a domestic printer in somebody's dining room, there's been no sanding down or filling, the layers were set very fine and the job wasn't rushed through. There's even built in pilot holes for the handrails. 

The chassis is a late Margate type, but made in China with the rear end much modified.

IMG_20220526_005610.jpg.aa392e3a7074a953a7f11f6e4649b24b.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This started off as a Jintystein, originally a conversion detailed in a 1970s model railway magazine and based around the Triang 3F tank. 

I decided to try using a late Hornby Jinty and thanks to a conspiracy with fellow modeller @chuffinghell, it all got rather out of hand. End result was a pair of ex MSWJR Beyer Peacock 0-4-4 tanks that we were very pleased with. 

I'm not sure how to classify this. It's not the Jintystein as Conceptual Art, where one only thinks about doing the bash, but nevertheless it's a Jintystein of the mind only, as there's no actual Jinty in the end result.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

35 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Looking at the above very nice 0-4-4 made me wonder if this could creep in to the outer edges of being a Jintystien. As an M7stien. It is my attempt to make a E7 0-6-2 tank. I think it came out reasonably well. It is a Butchered Triang M7 with a modified Wrenn N2 chassis.

DSC_1104.JPG

DSC_1105.JPG

DSC_1106.JPG

That's the kind of loco bash that inspired me when I was far too young to actually make such things and still inspires me to do a little bit more with all of my models. The first one I ever did was an E1 into one of the absorbed Welsh railways locos. 

It's outside the scope of this thread I think, but I've just finished a major rework of a Mainline 2251 and I'm on with turning an Airfix 14XX into a 517 class. At the moment it's a coin toss between it working out and seeing if I can throw it over the roof of the church next door...

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not sure how to classify this. It's not the Jintystein as Conceptual Art, where one only thinks about doing the bash, but nevertheless it's a Jintystein of the mind only, as there's no actual Jinty in the end result.

It has the heart, lungs, backbone and four of the legs of a Jinty though, and if you turn it upside down, it says Hornby on the bottom! 🤣

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

I do have somewhere (I actually even know where, which is quite the achievement) an Airfix Pug chassis, fitted with the smokebox and tank from a Smokey Joe, with the tank turned round to reorientate the filler, that might just become a sort of Great Westernised Avonside at some point. This thread has reminded me of its existence, so I might just have to get on with it.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I do have somewhere (I actually even know where, which is quite the achievement) an Airfix Pug chassis, fitted with the smokebox and tank from a Smokey Joe, with the tank turned round to reorientate the filler, that might just become a sort of Great Westernised Avonside at some point. This thread has reminded me of its existence, so I might just have to get on with it.

There have been a couple of versions of that Avonside on RMWeb.

Corb's very first post on this thread included a Pug/Smokey Joe/Triang Nellie hybrid, and there is a thread here

with some instructions, although the pictures are missing, sadly.

Looking forward to see what you do with yours.

Edited by Moxy
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The dimensions are accurate too, the Beyer is 18" longer than a Jinty.

The main reason for doing it the way we did was to push 3d printing techniques. This wasn't handed over to any commercial outfit. It was created on a domestic printer in somebody's dining room, there's been no sanding down or filling, the layers were set very fine and the job wasn't rushed through. There's even built in pilot holes for the handrails. 

The chassis is a late Margate type, but made in China with the rear end much modified.

IMG_20220526_005610.jpg.aa392e3a7074a953a7f11f6e4649b24b.jpg

It does show that good quality 3d printing is possible. For those of us that don't have access to home printing equipment I hope the commercial printers catch  on soon.

Tony

• Like 2

With regard to 3D printing, I predict a time in the not too distant future when model shops will have a couple of 3D printers ready to print various items upon request - with the retailer paying a small license fee to the designer.

It might mean customers needing to “pre-order” items to allow printing time, but for the shop it would mean no longer having to hold (buy) and store stock.

Initially this might be for accessories, but I also think items such as wagon bodies, coaches, etc might eventually be available. Maybe even loco bodies like @MrWolf’s!

And, unlike Shapeways, purchases wouldn’t need to be shipped to customers (reducing carbon footprint?)

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

With regard to 3D printing, I predict a time in the not too distant future when model shops will have a couple of 3D printers ready to print various items upon request - with the retailer paying a small license fee to the designer.

Some model shops already do, and we only charge £3 per print hour for people to have their own designs printed (It's my shop, so no link that feels a bit too cheeky)

Gary

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1