The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Perils of Food Labelling Regulations...

Pint of Adnams

This example is a label printed out our local farm shop for one of their exceptionally tasty pies. The Food Labelling Regulations require that ingredients be listed in descending order of quantity in the recipe whilst the label printed automatically adjusts the resulting text to fit. No prizes for spotting the outcome when no human is involved in the process...

post-1278-0-89771700-1488812945_thumb.jpg

Whereabouts in the UK is this? I had a pie near Middlesborough in about 1965 (school field trip) that definitely contained Lard Butt, stil memorable for all the wrong reasons all these years later.

South Norfolk, south of Long Stratton off the A140. Browse and drool...http://www.goodiesfoodhall.co.uk/

Middlesbrough was closed and it was all 51L when I was a boy.

Whereabouts in the UK is this? I had a pie near Middlesborough in about 1965 (school field trip) that definitely contained Lard Butt, stil memorable for all the wrong reasons all these years later.

Newboulds used to make splendid pies - seemingly they are still butchering in the town.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Was it Petch's in great Ayton, they are the greatest pork pies ever. Lots of pink meat and jelly which turns to hot liquid when warmed

Was it Petch's in great Ayton, they are the greatest pork pies ever. Lots of pink meat and jelly which turns to hot liquid when warmed

Pink meat? I will not show this to my father, who was a butcher's apprentice before the RAF came calling in WW2, because there would be a meltdown of epic proportions.

Pink meat in a pork pie has been cured. It should be raw shoulder of pork when put in the pastry, and cooks with the pie, therefore would be a pale grey colour when the pie is cut.

• RMweb Gold

Yorkshire pork pies have cured pork in them

A chap in Sheringham who was from Yorkshire was selling pork pies so I asked him about them and he said you won't like them people round here don't like proper pies so I've made them with grey meat!

Pink meat? I will not show this to my father, who was a butcher's apprentice before the RAF came calling in WW2, because there would be a meltdown of epic proportions.

Pink meat in a pork pie has been cured. It should be raw shoulder of pork when put in the pastry, and cooks with the pie, therefore would be a pale grey colour when the pie is cut.

Absolutely correct.!  I spent the largest part of my working life wholesaling pies and all other sort of pork products.

Keith.

Hmm, grey meat. I wonder if a lamb pie would work ...?

Quite common in this bit of Australia, and very nice too, especially at our local bakery who do proper butter pastry.

• RMweb Gold

Quite common in this bit of Australia, and very nice too, especially at our local bakery who do proper butter pastry.

Probably just as well as in my experience Australian pork pies were atrocious although 'meat pies' from a good butcher weren't too bad (but safer not to ask what sort of animal the 'meat' came from, assuming the butcher actually knew).

Methinks someone put a deliberate space on a key word to force that split.

I am sure there will be some here still able to recall the miracle that was the glimmering of the dawn of the word processor, golf ball typewriters with 'memory' and some spell correcting capability. Imagine the fun that can be had with the young and innocent seketry operating such a machine and largely employed on test procedures with the phrase 'ensure the pen is on the chart paper' frequently occuring. Just one stragegic little space needs to be programmed for deletion to create a blush. (She was very pretty too.)

Probably just as well as in my experience Australian pork pies were atrocious although 'meat pies' from a good butcher weren't too bad (but safer not to ask what sort of animal the 'meat' came from, assuming the butcher actually knew).

Indeed. Neither pork pies nor Scotch eggs are properly understood here. The meat pie, though, has had something of a gourmet renaissance and the best ones have contents that are identifiable but in a good way.

Indeed. Neither pork pies nor Scotch eggs are properly understood here. The meat pie, though, has had something of a gourmet renaissance and the best ones have contents that are identifiable but in a good way.

I was warned off sampling the pie floater. Shame really, given that it'll be many years before I have another holiday - possibly never - in Australia.

I'm a Wiganer, pie eater and expert !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last Saturday we drove to the (dreaded by me) Cheshire Oaks "designer outlet", at Ellesmere Port. (not my favourite place !!!).

The dreaded M56 was blocked near Frodsham, so quick thinking, and knowing the area well having spent 20 odd years all around there on Standby duties, we came off the M56 & drove through Frodsham town on the A56 - still heavy traffic but moving. I mentioned to my family that "The best pie shop in Cheshire" was Coward's butchers on the main road, I used to call there often, and there pies were second to none. looking out for the said shop, Yes, it's still there, and at 11-45 on Saturday morning was a queue outside and the shop was full - good news however we didn't call as we had just had breakfast. I've not been in that shop since around 2003, and was glad to see it not only still open, but still very well patronised also.

Edited to add - they now have a website http://www.hecoward.co.uk/

And how about a pork pie wedding cake !!!!! (scroll down)  http://www.hecoward.co.uk/bakery-pies-quiches-scotch-eggs-cheshire

Brit15

Archived