Cramdin Yard

eldavo

I could have worded that better!! Only the layout looks better up close and personal! No offence Dave .....

Yes, Yes, Yes, I wasn't thinking of the layout, it was a (missed) reference to Dave and personal... Oh well better go out now and walk the dog in the rain, then off up County to a meeting.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

You certainly can ask and I am happy to answer. :) Woodland Scenics medium mixed grey with varying amounts of Chinchilla grit and dust added for sidings etc. All of it has had varying amounts of weathering added using washes of very dilute of black and burnt Umber Acrylics.

Cheers

Dave

You certainly can ask and I am happy to answer. :) Woodland Scenics medium mixed grey with varying amounts of Chinchilla grit and dust added for sidings etc. All of it has had varying amounts of weathering added using washes of very dilute of black and burnt Umber Acrylics.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

Is that the same as Chinchilla 'dusting powder' or 'bathing dust' - which I'm told is a sort of clay dust, or is more like a fine grit

?

Brian R

The stuff I have is described as "Bathing Sand" although our Gerbils could never be bothered to use it! It is odd stuff being quite dusty and sand like at the same time. It can be tricky to get to glue as ballast or surface texturing and needs a fair amount of dilute PVA or Klear to do the job.

Cheers

Dave

The stuff I have is described as "Bathing Sand" although our Gerbils could never be bothered to use it! It is odd stuff being quite dusty and sand like at the same time. It can be tricky to get to glue as ballast or surface texturing and needs a fair amount of dilute PVA or Klear to do the job.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much to report I'm afraid. Cramdin has been left packed up since it returned from the Kernow/YMR exhibition in September as I neded the available space to work on Waton. In the last month or so I have been building a new workshop and Cramdin was unpacked and set up again just a couple of days ago. Still gives me a real buzz when the trainset is unpacked and the toys still work.

post-7010-0-07160300-1504034598.jpg

The layout is booked for shows in January, February and March so I need to improve a few things before then. Now I have the space for both layouts I have no excuses!

Cheers
Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

I know i'm going back in time a little bit with this query, but how have you done the overgrown buffer stops? Is this one of these static device things? Never really sure how they work, but the final effect is very realistic.

Cheers

Rich

It is static grass but not applied with any fancy technology. I just use a Noch puffer bottle or an old plastic sauce bottle. Put the grass in, give it a good shake then puff the grass into neat PVA glue. Works well enough for small areas and detailing.

Cheers

Dave

It is static grass but not applied with any fancy technology. I just use a Noch puffer bottle or an old plastic sauce bottle. Put the grass in, give it a good shake then puff the grass into neat PVA glue. Works well enough for small areas and detailing.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. Interesting idea! Is there any particular brand of grass that you use (or is there only Noch??) I've never had anything to do with this static grass before!

Rich

372391_4Aug10.jpg

As you can see the layout is still travelling through some kind of time warp. We seem to have got as far as sector livery! In fact this is the only loco I have in sector livery and it's been sitting in a cupboard unloved as it came from Bachmann for a year or two now. It's completely out of period for Cramdin but I felt like doing a bit of weathering so out it came.

372392_4Aug10.jpg

I really should flog it as I don't have a use for it but after messing with it I quite like it. I suppose I could use it as an excuse to buy more locos and build up another fleet. :)

Hi Dave, I have to say the layout is simply stunning. What makes it all the more impressive as others have eluded to already is the weathering. It just blends it all together nicely and adds that grubby look. Would love to hear from you regarding the weathering both of the buildings and locos. Do you airbrush both or is it hand done? The darker grimey patches on the body of the 37 look great are they hand applied?

Any tips what so ever regading weathering would be immensly appreciated as i can only strive for your level of work!

Cheers, Scott.

• RMweb Gold
I suppose I could use it as an excuse to buy more locos and build up another fleet.

Make a change from all that yingyingyingyingyin.....

As you can see I've got over yesterday's fleeting appreciation of 66s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
... Do you airbrush both or is it hand done? The darker grimey patches on the body of the 37 look great are they hand applied? ...

Very little of the weathering on the layout or stock is done with an airbrush. I only recently aquired a reasonable brush and compressor so the Coal Sector 37 was the first to suffer it ! Having said that most of the weathering on the 37 is done with dilute washes of acrylic applied by brush and streaked/wiped off with paper towel or cotton buds. Some weathering powders have been used as well. I only used the airbrush to give a coat of blacky yeuk to the roof and to seal the whole lot with matt varnish. Nothing original in any of the techniques I'm afraid they are all cribbed from the work of experts on this forum.

Cheers

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Things have been a bit quiet on this thread but today our roving photographer was down at the yard watching the preparations for a trip to Tonbridge next week and managed to catch the first 70 hauled service through the area. There's ugly then there is the class 70!

post-7010-0-62722400-1504034756.jpg

70006 has already started to accumulate grime!

Cheers
Dave

Things have been a bit quiet on this thread but today our roving photographer was down at the yard watching the preparations for a trip to Tonbridge next week and managed to catch the first 70 hauled service through the area. There's ugly then there is the class 70!

70_12Feb11.jpg

70006 has already started to accumulate grime!

Cheers

Dave

I thought that was real for the minute. smile.gif

Every time i pick up the Bachmann 2010-2011 brochure i almost puke! laugh.gif

Saw the layout today for the first time at the Tonbridge MRC Exhibition.

Looks much better in the flesh than it does in the photos! (and they photo's are good too).

Dave

Nice to see the compliments coming from someone who attended the Tonbridge show yesterday and it was good to meet you Dave.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

We had a good, if long, day out to Tonbridge yesterday. Cramdin behaved itself most of the time though there was a problem with the track alignment at baseboard joints that I need to investigate. One or two items of stock misbehaved (par for the course) including the 70. It has a homebrew sound project on a Digitrax SDH164 chip and sounds OK but for some reason it decides not to move from time to time. If I reset the chip to defaults or reprogram a CV it wakes up again and is fine. Take it off the track and replace it and it won't move. Grrr!

The 70 was sat in a siding ticking over all day and certainly sparked plenty of interest and discussion. The story was that the only crew passed to drive it were on a meal break so it couldn't be moved! I'm surprised its intermittent farty noises as the brake pressure released didn't drive folks on the next layout barmy. Interestingly although the thing had been sat there from 9.30 till 5 it was still cool as a cucumber compared to the locos with Loksound chips which were their normal bloomin' hot.

Ho hum two weeks to get the niggles sorted before two days at the Romsey show.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Been sorting out a few layout and rollingstock niggles in preparation for an outing to Romsey exhibition next weekend. A bit of testing is a good excuse for a green diesel day. OK maybe not the sort of green diesels that some would appreciate.

The Ugly Betty has had more work done on it's DCC decoder programming and now works quite well. A few more tweaks needed but I am learning how to program the Digitrax decoders mostly through trial and error as there basically isn't any documentation. At least it now moves which is the major thing it wouldn't do at the Tonbridge show! It also has brake release and brake squeal effects programmed in and I've improved the idle and running sounds. Still not happy with the speaker installation so may well order another type to try. Here she is hauling a couple of hoppers into the yard.

post-7010-0-78109400-1504035039.jpg

After uncoupling from the wagons the 70 is parked up at the far end of the reception road. Perhaps the green will act as camoflage among the weeds...

post-7010-0-01455100-1504035051.jpg

One of the resident Gronks then ambles in and picks off the wagons and shuffles them around the yard. I've always had problems with these long hopper wagons at shows mostly due to the fact that the bogeys were butchered as part of a coupling experiment. The bogeys and couplings have been replaced today and now they seem to behave themselves better. Whether they behave well enough is yet to be seen. The new bogeys and shiny wheels have subsequently been weathered.

post-7010-0-28989800-1504035060.jpg

Whatever needed doing to the wagons in the maintenance shed didn't take long as they are soon remarshalled on the departure road and Fred Ned 66532 has been coupled up ready for departure. Even the passenger trains are green as evidenced by a 158 passing by.

post-7010-0-23455900-1504035069.jpg

With the 66 and wagons gone the 70 is released and can come on to the fueling point. Here she is sharing the oil with one of Freightliner's oldest members. This is a Bachmann 08 I have had laying around in a box for months. I acquired it secondhand and gave it some TLC and a quick(!) weathering job prior to the Tonbridge show to act as a spare. In fact it was used all day and ran pretty well.

post-7010-0-53059000-1504035078.jpg

Back up in the stabling point is an ageing Body Snatcher. The driver seems ready to go but as there is no work to do he could have a long wait!

post-7010-0-43773800-1504035088.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Archived