Cramdin Yard

eldavo

• RMweb Premium

A piccy just for the heck of it. Cramdin was out this weekend at the Romsey exhibition and happened to be set up by a window. Here a couple of the resident Gronks sit waiting for the next job, or was that waiting to go home, as the afternoon sun drops towards the horizon.

post-7010-0-23884000-1504035282.jpg

Cheers
Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

Superb photo the light effects make for a great pic.B)

You must have been by the same window as we were with Leaford last year, although I didn't have my camera unfortunately. (Note to self take camera this week to the Basingstoke show in case we get a window!;) )

Thanks for bringing Cramdin Yard to the show Dave (I've posted a general thank you in the Exhibition section). We had an excellent line up of layouts again this year, all of a very high standard. Visitor feedback has been excellent as well so all credit to the exhibitors and operators for making it possible.

Patrick

A piccy just for the heck of it. Cramdin was out this weekend at the Romsey exhibition and happened to be set up by a window. Here a couple of the resident Gronks sit waiting for the next job, or was that waiting to go home, as the afternoon sun drops towards the horizon.

Gronks_6Mar11.jpg

Cheers

Dave

I might be in danger of becoming a Cramdin groupie but the other good thing about that window was that you could rest a tired back on the warm radiator and simply watch and admire an excellent layout. Hope to see you Dave at WRM before too long.

Colin

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cramdin has been in hibernation for a few months since its last outing but is due out again in September to Worthing. I acquired a secondhand LokSound 3.5 sound chip from ebay recently so thought it was time the Hornby class 60 I've had on the shelf for several years came out and started earning its keep.

The model I have is 60078 in Mainline blue. Common as muck and Mainline livery doesn't fit with the time period of all my other stock so changes were needed. EWS did a cheapo re-brand of the loco by patch painting over the Mainline logo and adding "3 beasties" stickers. I've attempted to reproduce this effect though I don't claim it to be accurate.

EWS may well have used Mainline aircraft blue for the patch but as the original colour faded badly it sure as heck didn't match the blue on the loco. They also didn't get rid of the silver bodyside stripe so the prototype ended looking like a right old bodge. Right up my street. ;)

I airbrushed on a couple of coats of blue that I mixed up from artists acrylics I have to hand. As per the prototype it isn't a match to the rest of the loco. The loco was then given a squirt of Johnson's Klear to even things out and Fox's transfers added. A further squirt of Klear sealed things up.

post-7010-0-02178700-1504035502.jpg

The model looks pretty plastic and naff so it was then given an airbrushing of mucky blacky/brown around the lower regions and a bluey/black on the roof. To this various splurges of Carr's weathering powders were added and then the roof and lower areas were sealed with a squirt of Ronseal matt varnish from the airbrush. I think it is getting there but probably needs a few more tweaks before I'll be happy with it.

The sound chip was sent to Howes for re-blowing and re-appeared 3 days later. Most excellent service from this company, would recommend them to anyone. I only have standard 20something mm speaker in a small plastic enclosure but all holes in the enclosure were sealed with blue tac and the speaker mounted facing down over the exhaust end bogey. I had to carve out some plastic to get it to fit but nothing too major. I'm no expert on class 60 sounds but it has a lovely big diesel rumble and good volume even from the small speaker. Very pleased with it.

Here she is having a wander round Cramdin...

post-7010-0-42446100-1504035508.jpg

Next job is to replace the speaker in my class 70 and tweak the sound programming a bit.

Cheers
Dave

• RMweb Premium

... What other dates have you got for the layout??

Diary management is not my strong point but I think(!) the current bookings are:

This year:

10/11th September - Worthing

1st October - Beaconsfield

15/16th October - Uckfield

6/7th October - Wickham (Fareham and District)

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Aw bother. Any other September in an odd-numbered year we'd be in Worthing that weekend and it would be great to see Cramdin again. I'll have to alert the family instead ;)

Diary management is not my strong point but I think(!) the current bookings are:

This year:

10/11th September - Worthing

1st October - Beaconsfield

6/7th October - Wickham (Fareham and District)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I see you are at Uckfield this year, that should cheer up Kevin Walsh who couldn't get to see the layout when it was at Tonbridge in February. Will look forward to seeing you there.

Colin

This year:

Cheers

Dave

Yippee, if you need the club to lend you an operator for break cover I'll happily volunteer.

Hi Dave,

I see you are at Uckfield this year, that should cheer up Kevin Walsh who couldn't get to see the layout when it was at Tonbridge in February. Will look forward to seeing you there.

Colin

Colin, I'm well happy I finally get a chance to have a good mooch over this great layout.

• RMweb Premium

Yippee, if you need the club to lend you an operator for break cover I'll happily volunteer.

No idea what crew I have for Uckfield but if you want to play trains Kevin I'm sure we can accomodate you.

I'm actually getting round to cleaning up and prepping Cramdin for it's next outing at Worthing. It is only a fortnight away after all. Still haven't finished titvating 60078 but that's no reason to avoid a gratuitous loco shot!

post-7010-0-02546700-1504036225.jpg

I now understand why some exhibition layouts don't always look their best at shows. The wear and tear is quite frightening. Cramdin was never designed, or initially built, to travel so there is always something to fix/repair after an outing. Regular track cleaning, frequent use of the vacuum cleaner and sticking the thing in the back of a van and driving a hundred miles or so plays havoc with the scenery! I need to freshen up a few bits and pieces and today it was time for a ballast inspection. A few bare patches have appeared so it was out with the granite, Chinchilla dust and PVA. Whilst I was at it a few more weeds have appeared.

post-7010-0-52767900-1504036233.jpg

The new patches will be weathered over the next few days and then I'll have to take a close look at the buildings. I think these two locos may be backing into the shed in case it's their turn next!

post-7010-0-02185900-1504036242.jpg

Onward.

Cheers

Dave

That middle shot is startlingly real Dave. I know it's really WIP but I think the patches of fresh ballast add a great deal, and you might want to keep some unweathered especially between the two turnouts and around the point lever.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Dave,

Creating the effect of mainline ballast and the more dirtier yard ballast is not something I'm looking forward to on my new project. Is there any pointers you can give on this subject?

Cheers

Dave has done a superb job on his. For myself I achieve the required effect with a broad brush and dilute acrylics simply painted onto the ballast. Yards and sidings have a thicker grimier coat, main running lines little more than a streak down the middle while "oil drop" from locos where they would stand such as at signals is built up using undiluted acrylic teased on with a scalpel blade. That might be food for thought for you.

• RMweb Premium

... Creating the effect of mainline ballast and the more dirtier yard ballast is not something I'm looking forward to on my new project. Is there any pointers you can give on this subject?

Rick has pretty much given you the formula. I certainly find dilute acrylics works for me. Don't expect to get a result in one pass, build the effect up with multiple washes. Doing it gradually means you can get some natural variation and it's a great job for a spare 5 minutes. Quite therapeutic!

Cheers

Dave

Archived