Kent Panel Controls

mikesndbs

Hi everyone.

I have just put a brand new unused KNH/E/FC feedback controller into use.

This is a fine control with minimum feedback type.

It works well for the intended shunting duties.

However it easily overloads on a number of locos from Roco to Hornby of all ages.

I think therefore the overload could be set to sensitively as the locos show no more than 500mA current drawn.

http://www.kentpanelcontrols.com/

Don't show an email address so I can write and explain, it also looks like they are having problems.

Does anyone know of an e mail address or know how to modify the overload circuit?

This is a bit strange,  I use KPC controllers with and without feedback and only ever have a problem with overload when I have something on the track or shorting the motor (worn brushes an an old open frame motor.   further, a number of years ago a friend brought along an Hornby Princes and about 10 heavy kit built coaches.  We ran it for circuit after circuit with no problems.  KPC itself is no longer is business (great shame) but there is a company All components http://www.allcomponentsltd.co.uk/on-track-power-controlllers-transformers.html who say they have back engineered the KPC controllers who might be able to help you.

This is a bit strange,  I use KPC controllers with and without feedback and only ever have a problem with overload when I have something on the track or shorting the motor (worn brushes an an old open frame motor.   further, a number of years ago a friend brought along an Hornby Princes and about 10 heavy kit built coaches.  We ran it for circuit after circuit with no problems.  KPC itself is no longer is business (great shame) but there is a company All components http://www.allcomponentsltd.co.uk/on-track-power-controlllers-transformers.html who say they have back engineered the KPC controllers who might be able to help you.

Great stuff, I have dropped them a line :)

Hi everyone.

I have just put a brand new unused KNH/E/FC feedback controller into use.

This is a fine control with minimum feedback type.

It works well for the intended shunting duties.

However it easily overloads on a number of locos from Roco to Hornby of all ages.

I think therefore the overload could be set to sensitively as the locos show no more than 500mA current drawn.

http://www.kentpanelcontrols.com/

Don't show an email address so I can write and explain, it also looks like they are having problems.

Does anyone know of an e mail address or know how to modify the overload circuit?

Some of the original founders are still active http://www.kp-tech.co.uk/ and providing support

• 2 years later...

Kent Panel Controls is now under new ownership with some management changes.  There is no official email address at the moment while the new owners are getting things together but we set up "kpc.model.rail@gmail.com" to keep in touch with potential customers and our trade suppliers.  

I was once the joint owner back in 1969 when the firm was set up.  We manufactured a range of solid state controllers but production was sparse.  My partner operated the firm from a static caravan on the shores of the River Kent part way between Kendal and Arnside.  When my partner moved jobs we wound up the business in the mid 1970s and I sold the feedback controller design to Julian Holland of Compspeed.  Later he bought the company name from Richard my co-owner and Julian then went on to set up a new KPC. He then moved to Scotland but driving from Nairn to the south of England must have been tiring for him after soing a few days selling at exhibitions. After his death in 2008 my original partner tried to buy the KPC firm that had migrated from Kent to Nairn in Scotland but he was unsuccessful.  Eventually he ended up being one of a group of folk from Carlisle who restarted up the company.   I was asked to be a partner but refused as I didn't have any capital to invest.  The company was a few folks from the Workington MRG but they kept running into problems.  Around 2012 they resumed manufacture of 1.0Amp controllers and used a different model number. 

The old KPC feedback controllers were available in 0.5Amp,  1.0Amp,  1.6Amp and 3Amp versions.  and if the one in question a KNH must been modified to give an output of 0.5Amps this explains the problem.  The letter N in the model code shows it is an N gauge controller.  Over the last decade the model numbers have changed to a new style to show the firm who does the manufacturing.

I have been talked into being the Guru for the new KPC and they asked me if they could use one of my recent designs for a new kind of analogue controller.  The new KPC owners are working with me on the new controller that does not use back EMF feedback but output voltage feedback.  It is in the trial stages at the moment.  I can be contacted directly at "lms.railway@gmail.com" about the early KPC Feedback controllers.  The design is in the Mk4 stage now and we are debating if we should resume production.  The Mk 4 upgrades are identifiable by a large gromit supporting the supply cable instead of heat shrink sleaving and a blue output LED.  I hope to send more details at a later stage.

Regards to all

Tom Jenkins

of Workington, Cumbria

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Tom

Thanks for the write up.

I discovered the issue with mine was a self resettable fuse that was just weak.

Replaced with a 1 amp trip and all is well now.

I'd be most interested in that OVF controller

Mike and others; The letter N in the model number confused a lot of people at first. My friends included.   Julian did a run off of 1/2 Amp (500 mA.) controllers for sale at exhibition for N and 009 modellers.  The cut out was too weak for 4mm and HO so increasing it to 1.0 Amp was the right thing to do.  Some 00 gauge Helgan engines consume near to one amp and older machines slightly over.  To counteract this a 1.6 Amp cutout was installed. I find that this model is somewhat unusual - in fact most unusual to come across an exhibition standard, N gauge,  KPC controller with fine speed output of around 8 volts max.

As for the new controller that is presently under development, I am using one of the prototype units on my St Helens Glass manufacturing and NCB layout.  I am running a Dapol Sentinel and it creeps along fine.  It handles a rake of 9 new style  Hornby Pilkington wagons as if they were not attached whatsoever.

There is a Group committee that decides when we will begin marketing these new controllers.  They have a 1.0 Amp cut-out that trips with an overload.  The model name we have chosen to market them under is the "C-Plus" model name.   I will make an announcement on this site when the C-Plus becomes available.  Thanks for showing an initial interest. 

Just when I thought I would settle into a relaxing retirement I am one at the cutting edge of controller design and development.

Regards

Tom

• Like 5

I like this.  I have a set of panel mount controllers (actually 8) that are both the best I have come across in 30+ years and are of a size that I can conveniently fit into a control box that has some analog automation associated with the control output..  Also they work over here in Canada with a brick or door bell transformer.  Since the original KPC closed I have been dreading a failure but now it looks like there might be a future even if i have to install a handheld into my panel.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/07/2019 at 22:59, workington-main said:

Mike and others; The letter N in the model number confused a lot of people at first. My friends included.   Julian did a run off of 1/2 Amp (500 mA.) controllers for sale at exhibition for N and 009 modellers.  The cut out was too weak for 4mm and HO so increasing it to 1.0 Amp was the right thing to do.  Some 00 gauge Helgan engines consume near to one amp and older machines slightly over.  To counteract this a 1.6 Amp cutout was installed. I find that this model is somewhat unusual - in fact most unusual to come across an exhibition standard, N gauge,  KPC controller with fine speed output of around 8 volts max.

As for the new controller that is presently under development, I am using one of the prototype units on my St Helens Glass manufacturing and NCB layout.  I am running a Dapol Sentinel and it creeps along fine.  It handles a rake of 9 new style  Hornby Pilkington wagons as if they were not attached whatsoever.

There is a Group committee that decides when we will begin marketing these new controllers.  They have a 1.0 Amp cut-out that trips with an overload.  The model name we have chosen to market them under is the "C-Plus" model name.   I will make an announcement on this site when the C-Plus becomes available.  Thanks for showing an initial interest. 

Just when I thought I would settle into a relaxing retirement I am one at the cutting edge of controller design and development.

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom.

Our Club uses 3 of the 3amp Hand Helds which we bought from Julian when he used to have a stand at our Shows.

In fact, if I remember correctly, he was travelling to our show when he had his accident.

However, over the years all three controllers have developed slight faults. I have replaced Bridge Recs in two of them.

Now, a couple will not completely shut down. Is there any chance that you of one of your group would be prepared to check them over and correct any faults please?

Dave Smith.

Hi Dave

The main trouble with 3 Amp feedback units is the pot getting tired or some of the copper tracks acting like a fuse and blowing.  Give me an email at lms.railway@gmail.com to talk about repairing or refurbishing them.

BTW - The letters LMS in my email address are the initials from my old model railway shop which I gave up the first time I retired.  It was called the Locomotive Model Shop.  Sounded much better than The Model Shop - Workington, for at the start we only sold model railways before we expanded.

Cheers

Tom

14 hours ago, workington-main said:

Hi Dave

The main trouble with 3 Amp feedback units is the pot getting tired or some of the copper tracks acting like a fuse and blowing.  Give me an email at lms.railway@gmail.com to talk about repairing or refurbishing them.

BTW - The letters LMS in my email address are the initials from my old model railway shop which I gave up the first time I retired.  It was called the Locomotive Model Shop.  Sounded much better than The Model Shop - Workington, for at the start we only sold model railways before we expanded.

Cheers

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I'll get back to you.

Dave.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hello all,

The "Fidelity" controller resurrected by Jonathan Scott

https://www.scottpages.net/FidelityDigital.html

And Jonathan's Negative Resistance Controller that does not use pulses but still has feedback

https://www.scottpages.net/NRTC.html

Errrmm I'll stick to my 3 semiconductor UF style one where I can have an imperceptible start first time every time and from the same point on the control knob.

Cheers - Jim