DEMU SHOWCASE 2017 June 3rd/4th Burton on Trent Town Hall

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

The DL team were quite looking forward to the weekend, but fully understand the circumstances beyond the control of the DEMU Showcase team.

I'll still be going though.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to the General Election on the 8th June, Burton on Trent town hall have informed the Showcase team that one of the rooms used for the Showcase event will not be available for use.

Sorry to hear that - the 7mm Narrow Gauge Assn moved their show from May for that reason as our show was the week after the local elections and for two years running we lost the use of one of the rooms at Burton as it was being used to store the ballot boxes and the ballot forms in case they needed to be recounted. Not only that, the second year they put the boxes on tables that were the ones we were supposed to be using. At that time DEMU was at Bretby and so I think we may have been given your usual weekend when we changed dates and so our show is 10th June. We have been assured that we won't face any disruption and so I'm a bit bothered by what you have been told - looks like a phone call to Burton in the morning.

It is a bit disappointing, but it is beyond anyone's control as for the council the election rules will be of a higher priority.

Should still be an excellent show though.

Mike's comments about tables might be worth checking John, or having a backup plan for additional tables if needed perhaps.

• RMweb Premium

Some people need to get there priorities right what's more important a general election or a model railway exhibition.

My vote is model railway exhibition every time.

Eltel

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Usually lot of parking available in the surrounding roads, or the car park ( payment required ) behind the venue.

The rear car park is now much smaller than previous due to the building of the school/college next door. You can also use the pay and display at the Travelodge / station car park off Derby Street in the one way area. Last time I was there the two car parks had different charges depending on where you parked so make sure you go to the correct pay machine. For our Narrow Gauge event the week after, most visitors were able to park on the roadside as many parking restrictions only apply Monday to Friday - but check the signs first !!

Although regarded as a Town with a fine brewing reputation - I have yet to find a decent "establishment" - any recommendations? - a beer garden with waitress services conjuring up the finest beverages available would be most welcome.

Ian 

• RMweb Premium

Thought about that but I've only got the Sunday available and the times don't look favourable from Skegness. 

Parking really isn't too bad. There's plenty of on street parking nearby, either round the back of the Town Hall, or back down the main road southwards towards the A38. (A5121 towards Shobnall St)

Worst I've ever had was a 3-4 minute walk.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Thought about that but I've only got the Sunday available and the times don't look favourable from Skegness. 

Get on your bike - yesterday my son (and about 70 others) cycled from Derby to Skegness to raise money for the Derbyshire Children's Holiday Centre, a charity that has been providing holidays in Skegness for over 125 years to disadvantaged children. His cycling sat nav said he had done 101 miles in under 6 hours . . . . . . . . . . so if you set off early enough you'll make it in time for Burton ! !

• Like 3

Always one of my favourite shows and this year looks to be up to the usual standard. I'm looking forward to talking too much, eating too much and spending far too much - I just hope RT aren't announcing anything else, again!

Sorry to hear about the loss of a room, especially with it having an RTC based layout booked to be in it. I was really looking forward to seeing Deadman's Lane.

*Got space for an N gauge RTC layout, Nobby? I know where there is one - I only need 9'..... *

As good as the line-up is though, I feel the true highlight of the event will be seeing the world renowned, Dutch, layout converbelt, Van-Der-Tripod! I hope he brings some more Edam - I've got a box of stock for him for his latest project!

Cheers gents and I hope it goes well for you.

Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although regarded as a Town with a fine brewing reputation - I have yet to find a decent "establishment" - any recommendations? - a beer garden with waitress services conjuring up the finest beverages available would be most welcome.

There are many fine establishments, though I'm not sure about beer gardens! Personal favourite is the Burton Bridge at the other end of town but nearer you have the Devonshire, Coopers and a host of new small micro-pubs.

Cheers, Mike

Well just pull off a good one said to the wife fancy going to Burton to visit your mom and our daughter/grandchildren at the weekend she said cannot working but we can go following weekend yes that's fine I said so she booked us in to travelodge central then I said look there's a exhibition on at the town hall 2mins walking distance not saying what she called me see you there Saturday it's been 11years since I last been to DEMU showcase

Steve

• RMweb Gold

There are many fine establishments, though I'm not sure about beer gardens! Personal favourite is the Burton Bridge at the other end of town but nearer you have the Devonshire, Coopers and a host of new small micro-pubs.

Cheers, Mike

Add to that The Crossing on High Streeet (aka The BluePosts ) .Beer garden at rear and good eating.Nicely and tastefully appointed.You can sample the ales on sale before making your choice.On the site of one of Froth City's many level crossings.About 200 yards from The Bridge.If you want a really good meal try The Dial on Station Street.Good pint of Doom Bar available.Bar & restaurant lively on Sat. Night.

BUMP

Just a small reminder that the UK's premier modern image ( Diesel and Electric ) layouts Model railway exhibition will soon be upon us.

Come to Burton on Trent to see the very best in British railway modelling, an extensive list of layouts of various gauges, traders, manufacturers and demonstrations.

Saturday 3rd June and Sunday 4th June 2017.

Burton on Trent Town Hall

Edited by Nobby (John)
  • Like 4

Excuse me for asking a silly question, but is there catering at the venue? I'll be travelling up by train from South Wales and may not have time to get a meal outside Town Hall.

Yes there is.

• RMweb Premium

Just starting to prepare my demo bench for next week. 

After all, despite the enforced absence of Deadmans Lane, there will still be some yellow there.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Excuse me for asking a silly question, but is there catering at the venue? I'll be travelling up by train from South Wales and may not have time to get a meal outside Town Hall.

To expand upon Nick's answer. There is a selection of hot and cold drinks and food offered in a cafe within the Town Hall. Stuff like bacon or sausage baps for instance, and the usual crisps, chocolate bars and teas/coffee/canned drinks. From memory the prices weren't too bad, at least when compared against commercial show food prices anyhow.

To expand upon Nick's answer. There is a selection of hot and cold drinks and food offered in a cafe within the Town Hall. Stuff like bacon or sausage baps for instance, and the usual crisps, chocolate bars and teas/coffee/canned drinks. From memory the prices weren't too bad, at least when compared against commercial show food prices anyhow.

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't want to miss too much of the show searching for food and drink. i'm on a tight schedule on Cross Country.

• RMweb Premium

The MODEL RAILWAY EXHIBITION banner and more importantly the mains extension leads have all been collected from the Stafford Railway Circle clubrooms this evening.

Looking forward to Saturday

Eltel

• Like 1