Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium

Well it wasn't going to take long for me to say, lets park the Cakebox Challenge, and organise some snaps of No.8 crossing the viaduct.

No actual operation other than running it on oval of DC track in the dining room to check it works and it does with a good solid slow motion as well.

Lights not working as the DC conversation module switches them off but it appears to have directional front lights and controllable internal lights.......hmm can't wait for my replacement adaptor to arrive to check that out.

attachicon.gif1073.jpg

attachicon.gif1074.jpg

attachicon.gif1075.jpg

Then of course I had to get a picture from my favourite location and thanks to Ken Dobettar for arranging to wait in the lane and catch it passing over.

attachicon.gif1076.jpg

One issue that has been discussed on the Dapol topic site is that the interior/drivers cab is very bland with a large hump in middle to cover the motor, I will be weathering the outside (minimal as this would still be a relatively new train in my time period) and repainting the inside as well so hopefully I can disguise some of it.

Due to the large windows I think my Dart Castings passengers will need to be better as I have their passenger range which are lower quality - you can see everything.

Blimey!

Maybe there's a crafty way to disguise the motor lump: Perhaps a cheeky passenger has been to town and bought some new carpets. A promise of a pint to the guard and he's been allowed to lay them across the seats to get them home.

And of course the windows would naturally get a bit grimy...

Good idea, I was planning to hang net curtains!

Lovely shots, it looks at home already. It’s curious how the cream paint looks much lighter in the third picture.

I think the driver moonlights as a plumber judging by the tube thingy on the roof!

Thanks, agree about the colour but it's one of those things that sometimes catches the sensor out, no change in lighting or camera position for the first three pictures, camera swivelled on the tripod, lighting umbrella aimed at centre of railcar and swivelled as well. Settings the same but I think it is to do with how the light refracts from the cream and the sensor reads it, the others in the group that I haven't used don't have that lightish tinge to it.

Strange.

Regarding the thingy on the roof, I actually don't know what it is, my first thought was the exhaust or something to do with ventilation.

No doubt we have a knowledgeable person on this website that can enlighten us.........

Good idea, I was planning to hang net curtains!

A serious question, I know this would be frowned on on ANTB but I think I can get away with it here...

I believe the railcars initially had roller blinds but later curtains were fitted. Does anyone one know the date of the change and the colour of the curtains. Those windows cry out for interior detailing and I really only want to open it once !

Thanks in advance... soft furnishing are not my area of expertise (if I had one)

I feel a battle going on now as to who runs the branch line service from Little Muddle to Encombe Town - Railcar or 48xx.

I'm pretty sure the true answer would be the 48xx. Apart from the Lambourn branch railcar, the rest were dsigned for secondary mainline fast services. Seems a bit weird what with single and then two car units, but they were built for speed and acceleration from what I've read.

But they do look very good, especially in such great surroundings. I'm sure they will be running on many branchlines around the country.

• RMweb Gold

Tail Lamps and Head Lights

As delivered the streamlined cars had electric tail lights and they were continued on most later builds.  However from March 1937 (and probably earlier as the Instruction was originally issued on a separate notice) use of the electric tail light was banned and they had to carry an oil tail lamp at all times - and it was required to be lit at the various required times (darkness etc) and places (i.e. if passing through the nominated tunnels where tail lamps were required to be lit).  This Instruction remained in force for the remaining operational life of the cars.

So if your layout is set prior to March 1937 you might not need a tail lamp but do need the electric rear red light illuminated during the time when a lit tail lamp should be carried (at other times the rear light was not turned on).

The situation regarding headlights was consistent throughout the life of the cars and they were always required to show either a Class A or Class B code (don't ask about the parcels cars!!) using the electric headlight during darkness, fog or falling snow, or when passing through a tunnel (i.e. at the same times when an illuminated tail light or lit tail lamp was required).  At other times the headlights were not required to be illuminated.  

So if your layout doesn't have a tunnel and you run trains during daylight there's no need to turn on the headlights (which I presume work?)

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Tail Lamps and Head Lights

As delivered the streamlined cars had electric tail lights and they were continued on most later builds.  However from March 1937 (and probably earlier as the Instruction was originally issued on a separate notice) use of the electric tail light was banned and they had to carry an oil tail lamp at all times - and it was required to be lit at the various required times (darkness etc) and places (i.e. if passing through the nominated tunnels where tail lamps were required to be lit).  This Instruction remained in force for the remaining operational life of the cars.

So if your layout is set prior to March 1937 you might not need a tail lamp but do need the electric rear red light illuminated during the time when a lit tail lamp should be carried (at other times the rear light was not turned on).

The situation regarding headlights was consistent throughout the life of the cars and they were always required to show either a Class A or Class B code (don't ask about the parcels cars!!) using the electric headlight during darkness, fog or falling snow, or when passing through a tunnel (i.e. at the same times when an illuminated tail light or lit tail lamp was required).  At other times the headlights were not required to be illuminated.  

So if your layout doesn't have a tunnel and you run trains during daylight there's no need to turn on the headlights (which I presume work?)

So how would you tell the difference between class A and B with fixed headlights that aren't switched on?

• RMweb Gold

I think it's all the little touches that make it such a superb building. 

The felt water barrier on the little store cupboard, and the two pieces of wood on the wall next to it.

The little concrete grid surrounds.

The telephone wire bracket on the chimney.

The wooden posts protecting the corners of the brickwork,  under the main company sign.

The eclectic mix of buildings, which looks as if they've been added as required as the business has grown.

The little standpipe next to the little hut near the high water tank.

And so on.....

• Like 1

I think it's all the little touches that make it such a superb building. 

The felt water barrier on the little store cupboard, and the two pieces of wood on the wall next to it.

The little concrete grid surrounds.

The telephone wire bracket on the chimney.

The wooden posts protecting the corners of the brickwork,  under the main company sign.

The eclectic mix of buildings, which looks as if they've been added as required as the business has grown.

The little standpipe next to the little hut near the high water tank.

And so on.....

Many thanks.

It was what I was after when I first sat down and designed the model, it is very difficult to 'design' a hotch potch and ad hoc structure as you end up with a nice new looking building!!!!

• Like 3

As Stu says, stunning detail Kevin, it's brightened up my Cereal today, thanks.

Thanks, I find it's those detail bits that make a model, broken gutter leaking down the wall, a couple of pieces of wood fixed with no idea of their purpose, mould growing up the wall, nothing is pristine on my layout (for long!!!)

Sorry I was a bit late with the pictures today but I'm looking after my Granddaughter this morning so the needs of a 4yr old come first!!!!!

Hope I didn't delay your breakfast to long.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I love the photo with the Austin 7 (right?) parked in the yard - and the leaky gutter!

My Dad's first car was an Austin 7 and he used to talk fondly about it all his life. I've got some photos of it somewhere.

Mould/dirt is something I seem to work a lot on my models

Pinched from my Cakebox Challenge is a picture I posted yesterday of a small gate that is only 40mm long and it's mould from the overhanging trees.

post-8925-0-02405200-1509615203_thumb.jpg

I was messing about with colours to try a represent the sun setting off camera and getting dark.

Personally, I don't think we model enough dirtiness/mouldiness on our layouts as if you look around outside you will see plenty of it....

Note - the tree in the back ground is unfinished as I am waiting for some more accelerator spray to arrive so I can finish the top of the tree hence the unpainted Seamoss?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18

I have been messing about taking pictures of my Cakebox Challenge diorama using the natural setting sun that streams in through our dining room in the afternoons.

Many times I have been asked about my trees on this website and after editing the next picture I realised it gave an extremely good reason why these sagebrush armatures are well worth the money.

No work done to it other than trimming up unwanted bits and then sticking Seamoss sprigs to it.

post-8925-0-47013000-1509983567_thumb.png

Natural sunlight with diorama moved to give shadows, post focus, ISO 400, camera resting on a stack of coasters and 2 sec timer used.

• Like 14

I have been messing about taking pictures of my Cakebox Challenge diorama using the natural setting sun that streams in through our dining room in the afternoons.

Many times I have been asked about my trees on this website and after editing the next picture I realised it gave an extremely good reason why these sagebrush armatures are well worth the money.

No work done to it other than trimming up unwanted bits and then sticking Seamoss sprigs to it.

attachicon.gifw248.png

Natural sunlight with diorama moved to give shadows, post focus, ISO 400, camera resting on a stack of coasters and 2 sec timer used.

That really is the dogs wotsits!  :good: 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifw248.png

I think we need a "Wow" button.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you do the hinges on the gate ?

Adrian

I think we need a "Wow" button.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you do the hinges on the gate ?

Adrian

Many thanks.

Hinges are from a Scalelink fret dealing with hinges, door handle, letterboxes etc. Sorry can't find the fret number.

• RMweb Gold

Time for a few more Andy Y pictures

You know, he's quite good at that, isn't he... :jester:

On the other hand, if you didn't provide the modelling, Andy wouldn't have anything to photograph.

More lovely modelling.

Al.