Little Muddle

KNP

Looking down the lane we see 2322 crossing the viaduct with the fireman still shovelling the coal.

Least he hasn't lost the shovel in the firebox.....yet!!!

Mind you that telegraph poll does obscure the view a bit. 

attachicon.gif1623.jpg

Something that just occurred to me is that I don't recall seeing lines of telephone poles along the parapets of viaducts, might they more usually have stepped down into the valley alongside and then climbed out again, or would the S&T department have strung the wires along the inside of the side wall of the parapet along trunking or on dwarf arms to hold the insulators or something akin to that? I'm not suggesting a pole is incorrect, just that I saw this and started pondering.

Something that just occurred to me is that I don't recall seeing lines of telephone poles along the parapets of viaducts, might they more usually have stepped down into the valley alongside and then climbed out again, or would the S&T department have strung the wires along the inside of the side wall of the parapet along trunking or on dwarf arms to hold the insulators or something akin to that? I'm not suggesting a pole is incorrect, just that I saw this and started pondering.

There does not seem to be a hard and fast rule about this.

There are numerous pictures online that show various ways to get the wires across the valley.

In this case, as the sides where relatively steep, I elected they would use the viaduct instead as it would be easier than crossing the valley stream/slopes  and all that would entail.

I have off set insulators carrying the three wires to one side on two of the poles to ensure they do not foul the line.

post-8925-0-50576700-1541764506_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

There does not seem to be a hard and fast rule about this.

There are numerous pictures online that show various ways to get the wires across the valley.

In this case, as the sides where relatively steep, I elected they would use the viaduct instead as it would be easier than crossing the valley stream/slopes  and all that would entail.

I have off set insulators carrying the three wires to one side on two of the poles to ensure they do not foul the line.

attachicon.gif1565a.jpg

Can't off hand think of any sizeable bridges with telegraph poles on them but I'm not any sort of expert on this and am happy to be proved wrong.  I suspect the received wisdom was that the location is exposed to high winds, dangerous for the linesmen who had to climb the poles, and an invitation to disaster should a pole blow over, in either direction...  

Equally, I doubt there were many places where the railway would have run their telegraph poles over land they did not own, especially farmland where crops might be disturbed if any maintenance or repairs had to be done and compensation to farmers might be involved.  The more likely solution is that the wires would cross the bridge in ducting in the cess, at any rate on the bridge's deck.  In some cases the wires may have been carried on the parapet walls like London Underground cabling.

Can't off hand think of any sizeable bridges with telegraph poles on them but I'm not any sort of expert on this and am happy to be proved wrong.  I suspect the received wisdom was that the location is exposed to high winds, dangerous for the linesmen who had to climb the poles, and an invitation to disaster should a pole blow over, in either direction...  

Equally, I doubt there were many places where the railway would have run their telegraph poles over land they did not own, especially farmland where crops might be disturbed if any maintenance or repairs had to be done and compensation to farmers might be involved.  The more likely solution is that the wires would cross the bridge in ducting in the cess, at any rate on the bridge's deck.  In some cases the wires may have been carried on the parapet walls like London Underground cabling.

Charlton Road viaduct Shepton Mallet had the wires underneath. Probably any way to run them you care to mention has a prototype example.

attachicon.gif8F3AFB9D-F8F6-4F9B-994B-7BDE844EAE62.jpeg

attachicon.gif3C726E88-29BA-4085-907F-20B14A24A1E8.jpeg

attachicon.gifC3B7FCAE-1DF1-4B92-AE97-D60A57AD23C1.jpeg

I came a cross a B&W picture of Branksome Viaduct with the Bournemouth Belle crossing it in the 50/60's which had some telegraph poles fixed to the outside.

This sorted out an issue I had of getting the telegraph lines from one side of the valley to the other.

I couldn't work out exactly how they had been fixed to the brickwork so mine are fitted inside the parapet wall but with the lines offset where that bit was hidden - well it used to be until I got this new tripod now nothing is!!!!!

Sort of tweaked reality a bit to suit the needs of Little Muddle

• Like 1

With the new tripod I can now get the camera to the back of the layout and photograph back out towards me.

Using a piece of greyboard to cover the unwanted items I set about taking a whole raft of pictures.

Now, one issue, always check that the areas are clear otherwise you will end up with some unwanted 'guests'...…

Difficult to spot in the first picture but look at the water's edge's by the tree on the right stream bank!

post-8925-0-49696600-1541859026_thumb.jpg

Looks even more imposing in macro....

post-8925-0-48072200-1541859047_thumb.jpg

Didn't spot at first until I lowered the camera to water level and using the Wi-Fi connection to my iPhone I looked on the screen and thought what's that.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

Now it's appeared in another picture...

post-8925-0-92899200-1541860396_thumb.jpg

At this point I should add it took me ages to model it....!!!...???....****.

I can confirm it has been removed and thoughtfully disposed of.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 14

Life has returned to normal here at Little Muddle now that the alien invadors have been repelled.

All is peaceful and quiet down on the farm....

post-8925-0-25116500-1541872406_thumb.jpg

Must find out what has happened to those missing pigs!!!!

• Like 14

So I climbed the bank instead and looked down on the house, seems even quieter around here - looks like no back door either.

Now what.....

post-8925-0-62716400-1542037548_thumb.jpg

This is the address I have been given for Count de Monet so what do I do with this delivery!!!!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

You see? Now you've annoyed them.

"No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being scrutinised..."

[/Richard Burton]

Originally H G Wells, but Burton voiced the album superbly!

OOOOOOOOO LAAAAAAA...

• Like 1

Glad you like them.

Autumn, seasons, they are an unknown facet in this world.

With life being so sedate, some say stationary, down here at Little Muddle time has past it by with the big outside world carrying on without a pause.

You know, it is in a time warp in there, I walk out and go back the next day, guess what -  it is as just as I left it, only I seem to change !!!

Between you are me I reckon there is a hole in time as I pass back and forth through the railway room door from another dimension.

I need the Doctor and her sonic screwdriver to sort it out...….

No So!

Buddleia flower in August and are over by early September, so yours in full flower set the time. Not sure how this ties in with the flowers radiant in your cottage garden?

Only a detail I know so maybe LM is a time warp after all or has multiple time zones overlapping?  I might need the same effect as I've some lovely spring bulbs in flower and a Forsythia but would love to add others, a new twist on "Rule 1" required?

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Time is less than linear on Cwmdimbath sometimes; the period is set as 1948-58, and I try to generally aim for 1953, the half way point.  This might mean the sight of 2761, withdrawn from Tondu 30/03/50, with 8448, new to the shed 31/06/54.  My approach to coach and wagon liveries is based on what I think the proportions of pre-nationalisation to BR should be than actual evidence of individual vehicles; this would be difficult to ascertain in the case of wagons anyway.  This leads to anomalies as well; I probably do not have enough minerals in pre-BR livery for 1953, though i'm likely not too far off for 1958, and it is possible to see trains hauled by GW liveried locos composed of entirely big 4 liveried stock, including some pre-war large initial ones.  I have no GW liveried opens.

I try to introduce an element of the rapid changes that were occurring on the real railway at this period by weathering the older liveried vehicles fairly heavily and only applying a light coat to 'new' BR standard vehicles, some of which are virtually ex-works.  But some BR liveried big 4 examples are as well.  About half are ex LMS, followed by LNER, GW, and Southern (one van), which is probably about right for any time after about June 1948 for pool wagons.  NPCCS is an eclectic mix, as it should be, and all passenger stock is GW.

One of the reasons I chose this period was to include as many differently liveries on locos and stock as possible.  Passenger stock ranges in livery from pre-1942 GWR shirtbutton and '42-'45 austerity brown on the clerestories of the miner's workman's to '56 lined maroon on a BG, and locos vary from austerity and post austerity GW through the various 'transition' BR liveries to unicycling lion, with or without red backed number plates.  Mostly these are backed by photographic evidence, 9649 and 9681 are in the liveries I assume they were delivered new to the shed in, and one is a Rule 1 punt; 5633 in late 1948/early '49 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' unlined black with red backed number plates.

Liveries yet to be featured are post 1945 GW passenger (another Hornby auto trailer'll sort that), 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' early 1948  GW style Egyptian Serif, or any BR lined black as I can't find evidence for it at Tondu.  Some of it bothers me a little, but if you accept a ten year period over which several livery changes took place, there will be inevitable anomalies and you have to live with them.

As for seasons, there are few giveaways because this is the bleak industrial Valleys where all the trees were cut years ago for pit props.  The predominant vegetation is sheep-cropped grass, with some raggy bushes and shrubs, though I need some ferns for the mountainside.  It is not winter, as the mountainside would be predominantly brown, and unless the sunlight strikes on the layout, which it does in summer (the layout is more or less correctly orientated so this works well) I think of it as being just a typically dull Valleys day of the sort which can pervade the area at any time of year.  The lighting is 3x Maplins led anglepoises; these have 3 'colour' settings of cold, warm, or mixed lighting and 3 brightness levels, so I can 'suggest' various degrees of dullness. 

Future plans are for lighting in some buildings to enhance the dull day effect.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2