Little Muddle

KNP

44 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Is that sign advertising "Gaytime Chocolate Bars 6d" ?

I believe so, don't forget certain words now have different meanings now than they did back in the 30's!

Oh dear, we have now entered the 'lets park this and think about it' phase

Made the front sign for the newsagent, idea worked in my mind, on the computer but not on the model!!!!!

1892.jpg.f954f6de699dec7ee0a60ac9245d6f3a.jpg

Looks like a public house!

Luckily it's easily removed so I will do a bit more research but I suspect this is going to change...…..

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I quite like it, Kevin.  Perhaps one of those racks/cages in which today's newpaper front page or headline is displayed placed between the door and window would work?  How about an enamel sign or two advertising chocolate etc. too (i.e. something not typically sold in a pub)?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, teaky said:

Perhaps one of those racks/cages in which today's newpaper front page or headline is displayed placed between the door and window would work?

Good idea, the local newspaper “The Little Muddle Gazette” has already made an appearance way back in this thread (courtesy of Stubby47):

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, teaky said:

I quite like it, Kevin.  Perhaps one of those racks/cages in which today's newpaper front page or headline is displayed placed between the door and window would work?  How about an enamel sign or two advertising chocolate etc. too (i.e. something not typically sold in a pub)?

Thanks.

That is why I sometimes park things and get on with something else as a few days later you come back to it with fresh eyes.

I have not dressed the front yet, like you have described, because at the moment I can lay a knife flat and get under the sign and slice off the two glue blobs that hold it in place.

Work in progress, as they say!

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

See next post- I can’t delete this one:unknw_mini:

But it while I’m here,

A man goes into a newsagent and asks ‘ do you keep stationery?’

The proprietor replies ‘No, I keep moving about’

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Outrageous joke added
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the simple format of the newsagent shopfront. I think in a small community with a low footfall there would not be a plethora of signs and notices as would be seen in an urban site, but a newspaper headline board or two would be appropriate outside.  In the summer, the ‘30s were hot , an ice cream sign might tempt children in, especially after a hot train journey.

7D61383E-F05D-4A71-8F15-74794C96BDC8.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Added photo of 1940’s urban tobacconist
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:32, Corbs said:

Still sold these days, in Australia I believe.

We have the Golden Gaytime Ice Cream - whatever you might call that north of the equator.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I agree with Calvin that the red colour makes it more pub-like, and his blue version looks much more newsagentsy.

Al.

Newsagentsy - another word added to the Queen's English.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

One thing I'm thinking is the doors look a bit too modern, they have a 60s/70s feel to them. 

Like the blue version, a few appropriate enamel signs will help set the scene too.

I think it's the large glass panel that's giving you that impression.  Smaller glass panes in wooden frames set into the panel might have a more pre-war feel, a technique used on modern doors that are supposed to look 'traditional'.  The bright paintwork is fair enough in my book; it was not until the austerity period that paint became difficult to obtain and for a good time during the late 40s and the 50s nearly all doors, and window frames, that managed to get painted were painted mid green.  Colour was invented by the Beatles in 1963, as everyone knows.  

Enamel signs are sometimes done to death a bit on layouts, but a newsagent/tobacconist/general comestibles like this can be legitimately plastered with 'em.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Newsagentsy - another word added to the Queen's English.

I'm waiting for Kev to start using "flockage" in anger, but it must be pronounced correctly - flock aaaarghj  not flock idge...

Al

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

i noticed that when striping 50+ layers of paint from various things.. was it a suplus left after the war?

Not sure, Calvin.  It wasn’t a colour used particularly by our forces, or the Merkans’, the source of most of the war surplus stuff that permeated much of life in the late 40s and 50s, and my guess is that, with austerity and rationing of materials in force until ‘51, it was a colour that could be produced without recourse to materials on ration or difficult to obtain in quantity. 

Whatever the reason, it was very typical of the period for painting wooden surfaces, and there is a garden side door at the other end of my street still displaying it’s remains.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1